Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Glenn is alive?
Yes 51 50.50%
No 50 49.50%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #1021
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
Who died of other ways and came back as a walker?
I don't think anyone, it's a theory, no?
Old 02-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #1022
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Exactly.... right now everyone is affected, but when you die, that's when it takes over.

It also explains why some people aren't eaten. They die of other ways, then come back as a walker.
Well that would be weak sauce....

Like I said, if everyone was already infected, there are two viruses at work here.

Man...think I'm overthinking this a hair.

But like many have said, the title of the show refers to the survivors, not the walkers.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #1023
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
I think the Walker in the field has no particuler significance other then presenting a nice visual, I think there was some sort of message it was meant to convay to the viewer what exactly I don't know.

I interpreted it as a reflection of Shane being a loner in the group (attitude wise) and his desire to leave.

I think being with the group is the only thing keeping him from losing his humanity and becoming a monster. And I think the zombie in the field is an indicator of him starting to realize that.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #1024
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I don't think the airborne/everyone's infected thing makes any sense. If it doesn't activate until the person is dead, a bite wouldn't change a person. A scratch wouldn't either because those injuries aren't going to kill you.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #1025
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
Who died of other ways and came back as a walker?
There was the one guy who had hung himself. Darryl and Andrea found him while they were looking for Sophia.

Now I suppose he could have been infected and killed himself because of that, or he wasn't dead yet when the walkers started gnawing on his legs, but those are a bit of a stretch. I didn't think you could die, and then become a walker just because a walker started to eat you.

Maybe I am reading too much into the suicide zombie though, but it would hint that everybody is infected and just waiting for you to "die" or become weak enough to transition over.

Last edited by Wormius; 02-27-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #1026
Ben_in_Canada
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
There was the one guy who had hung himself. Darryl and Andrea found him while they were looking for Sophia.

Now I suppose he could have been infected and killed himself because of that, or he wasn't dead yet when the walkers started gnawing on his legs, but those are a bit of a stretch. I didn't think you could die, and then become a walker just because a walker started to eat you.

Maybe I am reading too much into the suicide zombie though, but it would hint that everybody is infected and just waiting for you to "die" or become weak enough to transition over.
The guy in the tree, his note read:
Spoiler!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben_in_Canada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #1027
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's a good theory, but if the virus is now airborne then why didn't the pair that Rick shot up in the bar turn? Sure you could say it takes time to turn, but Rick, Dale, and Hershel were in the bar for a good chunk of time after the shooting, and nothing happened.

I could see this being the case, but nothing really makes me think it is official at this point.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #1028
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
It's a good theory, but if the virus is now airborne then why didn't the pair that Rick shot up in the bar turn? Sure you could say it takes time to turn, but Rick, Dale, and Hershel were in the bar for a good chunk of time after the shooting, and nothing happened.

I could see this being the case, but nothing really makes me think it is official at this point.
Because he shot both of them in the head.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #1029
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Didn't he shoot the fat guy in the chest? Or did he "finish him off?"
Old 02-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #1030
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

They don't show it, no, but they do show him face on after putting two more into him. Safe to assume one was to the head. At least that's the vibe I got.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #1031
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Didn't he shoot the fat guy in the chest? Or did he "finish him off?"
In the episode after the one he shot them in the first scene he stood over the fat guy and shot. I would assume that it was in the head.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #1032
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So, I've enjoyed watching this show without being too worried about the science of zombies.

But one thing kind of bothers me. When people get surrounded and attacked by the walkers, typically they get torn to bits. There is not much dead flesh left lying around to turn into a walker itself. So I would imagine most of the walkers were not the result of a direct attack by a pack of other walkers.

One more thing that I don't think has been mentioned recently, and I would bet comes up before the end of this season. The scientist/doctor in the CDC whispered something to Rick. Presumably related to his studies on the nature of the infections. (EDIT: Oh, I see this was discussed. But again, I bet this comes up before too long...)
Old 02-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #1033
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabekd View Post
But one thing kind of bothers me. When people get surrounded and attacked by the walkers, typically they get torn to bits. There is not much dead flesh left lying around to turn into a walker itself. So I would imagine most of the walkers were not the result of a direct attack by a pack of other walkers.
I look at it this way. How many times have we seen the walkers almost bite somebody? Then at the last second the walker gets killed. All it would take it just one of these walkers to land a bite.

I would think most of the walkers we see are "first generation." They became walkers during the time before society collapsed. At that point they were treating the walkers as being sick; and treatable. So you could easily have each walker infect several other people.
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #1034
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just food for thought.. They kind of alluded to it last episode, but I wonder what will happen over the winter? Will the walkers freeze and permanently die, or will they just go into hibernation? I don't see the walkers able to fend for themselves in colder climates, I wonder if the group will try to make their way to Canada or even further north.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #1035
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Just food for thought.. They kind of alluded to it last episode, but I wonder what will happen over the winter? Will the walkers freeze and permanently die, or will they just go into hibernation? I don't see the walkers able to fend for themselves in colder climates, I wonder if the group will try to make their way to Canada or even further north.
this is one of the many reasons why a real zombie apocalypse could never happen, as illustrated in that Cracked.com article. being frozen solid in the winter would destroy every cell in a zombie's body, including the brain, so you wouldn't have to wait all that long until all the zombies in the northern hemisphere would be gone. the ones in the south shouldn't fare that much better either, since dead flesh out in the sun doesn't tend to last long
Old 02-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #1036
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If it's a virus, viruses change and mutate all the time. Look at bird flu and swine flu, both started in animals and then mutated to infect humans. It's highly plausible that the virus, if that is the cause, has been incubating in the walkers and mutating...becoming easier to transmit.

Looked to me like someone was living in that bus. Perhaps the 2 cops had something to do with the burnt bodies, the locking of the gates, and the walkers in the building. Maybe they were infected somehow and did what they could to contain it inside the yard.

That's the beauty of this show, all these side things that keep you talking about it...
Old 02-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #1037
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
this is one of the many reasons why a real zombie apocalypse could never happen, as illustrated in that Cracked.com article. being frozen solid in the winter would destroy every cell in a zombie's body, including the brain, so you wouldn't have to wait all that long until all the zombies in the northern hemisphere would be gone. the ones in the south shouldn't fare that much better either, since dead flesh out in the sun doesn't tend to last long
True. Even in their current state their muscles shouldn't even work at all. But suspension of belief aside, it sounded like in the conversation between Rick and Shane that things might get better after winter for them.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #1038
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have never been to Georgia..but does it get that cold there? Cold enough to freeze a zombie...
Old 02-27-2012, 10:54 PM   #1039
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

From a neat site on zombies.

Quote:
One thing is for certain: If zombies don’t take a considerably longer time to rot than their deceased human counterparts, we may be in much less trouble when the undead rise than originally thought. Especially if it spreads very quickly.

Assuming that fresh stage decay takes two weeks to complete, it’s likely that by five weeks after outbreak there would be virtually no more Zombies anywhere. All you’d need to do is hide out in a safe place with enough food and water for a month, and you could emerge the leader of a new world.
http://zombieresearchsociety.com/archives/1344
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2012, 07:14 AM   #1040
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
I have never been to Georgia..but does it get that cold there? Cold enough to freeze a zombie...
That bugged me a bit too, so I looked it up:
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...ly/graph/30326

So it shows average lows in the winter in the mid 30s; which means they likely also get temperatures into the 20s or teens. However looking at the highs in the 50s- that also tells me that those cold temperatures don't last that long. Any zombies that can find basic shelter should be OK.

However they could be north of Atlanta. Remember in the first couple of episodes Rick took a police car and ran it out of gas. So he was likely 300-400 miles away.

Myself, I would head even further north just to be safe.
Closed Thread

Tags
brains! , i ate your momma , zombies