Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 09:41 AM   #10341
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I think Brouwer is just included in most lineups because as much as some of us dream, none of us think we're lucky enough to escape that black hole of a contract
at least not until next offseason when the buy out is far more palatable
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 09:42 AM   #10342
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Brouwer gets another shot with a new coach, that leaves 1 year left on his deal which can be traded at that point.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:42 AM   #10343
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
1. find me a quote of a hockey journalist/scout/professional that shares your opinion of RoR being the equivalent of Jokinen (or anything resembling something along the lines that he's overrated). I don't believe I've ever heard or seen that. He's a guy who has lead he league in face offs and takeaways. He plays in all situations and is considered one of the best two way C in the league. I bet there would be a long list of GM's with interest in RoR if the Sabres put him on the market. The Flames are a team that can absorb his salary & everything they have done over the past two years indicates they want to contend. You're Jokinen comparison misses the mark completely.

2. I've been here since 2004, reading this forum. I was here.

Lastly, RoR fills a pretty big hole. For the sake of argument let's say jankowski is one of the pieces going to buffalo; your top 3 lines start to look like this:

Gaudreu Monahan Ferland
Tkachuck RoR xxxxx
Bennett Backlund Frolik
1. No. I don't need an expert to validate my opinion. If they trade for ROR it will be right or wrong, we'll see.
2. OK, I did not know that.
3. Arguably ROR would slot in behind Backlund if you are ranking on offense. While I love Ferland, if he is still 1RW starting next season then we will have already failed to address the need for more goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
No. I'm not advocating the Flames must trade for him at all costs but I'm not opposed to it either. He's better than Backlund but he is getting paid accordingly, however his 60% faceoff win percentage is phenomenal. People can talk about lack or RW or Center but when's the last time this organization had a center that was amongst the best in the league let alone the best? This has been a team that's always been at the bottom of the league in faceoff win percentage and IMO that's something that needs improvement so a 60 point center that's good on special teams and the best in the league at faceoffs is a guy that can help any team. I feel like it's you that is kind of ill-informed which is why your comment stuck out to me.
Interesting, if as you say a younger Yelle gets this team the offense it needs I will happily come back here and say you were right.

And you are entitled to your opinion that I am I'll informed. Doesn't bother me at all.

I talk to you guys here the same way I would if we were having a beer discussing hockey. My circle obviously has way thicker skin than some of the crowd here.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:43 AM   #10344
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Respectfully I do not think Brodie will increase in value any more and if we can use him and Janko as the central pieces for an ROR deal we should take it and run. I certainly don't see Brodie and Janko being enough for ROR and Reinhart, which would obviously be ideal for us but close to highway robbery, which is why I went for the wildcard in Nylander. I feel like he is a guy who might produce if given a real chance at the nhl in a sheltered position.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:44 AM   #10345
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Brouwer gets another shot with a new coach, that leaves 1 year left on his deal which can be traded at that point.
I cant do another full season of both Brouwerplay and "lets try Troy on the first line for 10-15 games" because he's a big body.

God help us if he's not bought out.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:44 AM   #10346
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Brodie, Fox, Prospect, 2nd pick.
Pegula sure is a good guy turning the Sabres into a charity like this.

But nah, you're not going to get two good players for a declining asset (until he shows he can bounce back to 2016 form), an unsigned question mark, an unnamed prospect..and of course the standard equalizing second.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:48 AM   #10347
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post

But nah, you're not going to get two good players for a declining asset (until he shows he can bounce back to 2016 form), an unsigned question mark, an unnamed prospect..and of course the standard equalizing second.
Anything can happen Flames could add more or add less we don't know what any trade brings in or ships out.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:54 AM   #10348
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post

This is an understatement if I have ever seen one, the top defenseman in the NCAA for 2 years straight. Some scouts even saying he was the best player in the NCAA this year. Also Adam Fox is from Jericho, NY which would lead you to believe he may be more inclined to sign a deal being somewhat closer to home and signing in the East.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:56 AM   #10349
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
This is an understatement if I have ever seen one, the top defenseman in the NCAA for 2 years straight. .
Who's going back to Havard for another year, meaning he'll be one year away from his Havard education and the ability to sign anywhere he wants. Making him a huge question mark for the Sabres to acquire as a center piece.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:59 AM   #10350
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

If it comes down to the Flames pursuing a RW or RoR, the C helps them out much much more.

It gives them 3 lines. RoR is a player that can control the game every time he's on the ice. C's have the puck more and are more responsible for playing in all three zones.

Further, this is what Treliving has always wanted. I wouldn't be shocked if, internally, the biggest disappoint this year was Sam Bennett's inability to step forward as an impact C. Their whole plan, the way their roster is set up, is to have 3 scoring lines. It didn't happen.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 10:25 AM   #10351
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
1. No. I don't need an expert to validate my opinion. If they trade for ROR it will be right or wrong, we'll see.
2. OK, I did not know that.
3. Arguably ROR would slot in behind Backlund if you are ranking on offense. While I love Ferland, if he is still 1RW starting next season then we will have already failed to address the need for more goals.

Interesting, if as you say a younger Yelle gets this team the offense it needs I will happily come back here and say you were right.

And you are entitled to your opinion that I am I'll informed. Doesn't bother me at all.

I talk to you guys here the same way I would if we were having a beer discussing hockey. My circle obviously has way thicker skin than some of the crowd here.
ROR is better offensively than Backlund. Not by a lot but he's consistently had better numbers (55-65 points versus 40-50), and mostly in the context of not being the true number one centre.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 10:31 AM   #10352
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

Would hate to give up Jankowski in a deal after waiting so long for him to develop his game. He was one the best things about this past season, pretty excited to see how he improves over the next couple years.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to atb For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 10:34 AM   #10353
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Brouwer at 50% retained is tradable now.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:35 AM   #10354
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post

It's really hard to take someone seriously when they say stuff like this. Yelle at his peak was a 15 goal 25 point player. You don't have thick skin. You are just being silly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 10:36 AM   #10355
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jankowski is part of the solution, don't trade him
Old 04-19-2018, 10:39 AM   #10356
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

The key to success in this league is having players on entry level deals (or bridge/pre-breakout deals) exceeding expectations while the high end players deliver.

Trading away day to day NHLers for a monster contract (Bennet/Jankowski/Ferland) shortens the window.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 10:52 AM   #10357
mcjmcj
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Jankowski is part of the solution, give your head a shake. A 6'5'' center that plays with no edge and no physicality on a team that is soft and easy to play against. If you add grit and speed top the team, fine, but as its stands, he is not an answer to the Flames' problems.

If you look at the Flames roster, there might be 4 guys that other teams would consider hard to play against.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:02 AM   #10358
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I hope that they trade Giordano this offseason while they can still get a good return.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:06 AM   #10359
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Jankowski is part of the solution, don't trade him
But trading him could be a part of the solution, depending on what is returned.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:08 AM   #10360
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
I hope that they trade Giordano this offseason while they can still get a good return.
Right.

That will really help the defensively weak team.