Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 10:28 AM   #10281
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotinthebacklund View Post
Gostibehere Cleared waivers. Pretty surprised honestly.
Johnny to Philly soon to follow lol
Old 03-31-2021, 10:34 AM   #10282
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gio at 50% retained has got to be attractive to Florida or Tbay no? Especially if Hedman is down in Tampa.

Johnny to Philly really feels as close to happening as it ever has... its going to be a sad day when/if he gets traded honestly.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:45 AM   #10283
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Carolina already has three goalies, apparently they're looking at trading Rheimer away once Mrazek comes back. Alex Nedeljkovic has been fantastic.

I don't think they are interested in Rittich.

You are looking at it from Carolina’s view, shame on you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2021, 10:46 AM   #10284
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Bad player on a bad contract with term

I would have been shocked if he was claimed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2021, 10:47 AM   #10285
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Gio at 50% retained has got to be attractive to Florida or Tbay no? Especially if Hedman is down in Tampa.

Johnny to Philly really feels as close to happening as it ever has... its going to be a sad day when/if he gets traded honestly.
The retention of Giordano's cap hit is complicated, because it almost forces the acquiring team to protect Giordano in the expansion draft.
If Gio is exposed, Seattle gets to take advantage of the 50% retention. There's no reason either Calgary or the Florida teams to give this extra value to Seattle.

This might make sense for Florida, since they could conceivably protect Gio. They kind of have a free spot after Ekblad and Weegar. Yandle and Gudas might warrant protection. But I think Gio at 50% cap has more value.
It makes less sense for Tampa.

It would be cool to see Gio go to a contender. He deserves a good chance at a cup.

Last edited by 1qqaaz; 03-31-2021 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:49 AM   #10286
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not with that cap hit. Hard to snap a guy with that much cap off waivers. Teams like to see some balance in cap hits. Also, if he's already on the taxi squad it is easier to move him as the receiving team does not have to expose him to put him there if they so desire.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:51 AM   #10287
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post

He is fine...came back after the hit IIRC.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:52 AM   #10288
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I don't think Ghost knows how to play defense. Florida was the only one I could see and they said they weren't claiming yesterday.
Old 03-31-2021, 11:00 AM   #10289
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder if we could get more in return if we included Gio and Ghost in the Konecny and Gaudreau trade? Maybe Philly's first

We take Ghost and his contract is 1 year longer but the trade would save us around $3 mil on the cap now. We add another first that could be a first from a Non-Playoff team

Then we expose Ghost and protect Tanev. Ghost would give us a dman that meets the minimum requirements for dman unprotected in the expansion draft. Not that he would get picked but still a plus.

Also his contract expires when Lucic's does and this team may need a 2 year retool and they could use a PP dman
Old 03-31-2021, 11:05 AM   #10290
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not surprised at all. Gm of flyers said a couple days ago no teams were looking to bring in more cap for trades . He said that teams want dollars out to match dollars in. Nobody during flat cap was bringing in that much money with nothing going out.
Old 03-31-2021, 11:19 AM   #10291
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I hope at a minimum Ryan and Rittich are moved for something. Ryan has been on waivers once or maybe twice, so we need to keep expectations in check. No reason not to retain salary on these guys so there should be some interest.
Old 03-31-2021, 11:23 AM   #10292
FranksandBean
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Disgustingly bad trade. Boston does not have the pieces for Gaudreau. Get your head out of your rear!
Thanks for your help but I seem to have a hard time with that it is fairly stuck...
Old 03-31-2021, 11:50 AM   #10293
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The retention of Giordano's cap hit is complicated, because it almost forces the acquiring team to protect Giordano in the expansion draft.
If Gio is exposed, Seattle gets to take advantage of the 50% retention. There's no reason either Calgary or the Florida teams to give this extra value to Seattle.

This might make sense for Florida, since they could conceivably protect Gio. They kind of have a free spot after Ekblad and Weegar. Yandle and Gudas might warrant protection. But I think Gio at 50% cap has more value.

It would be cool to see Gio go to a contender. He deserves a good chance at a cup.
I don't want this to come across as bashing Gio, but why?

He captained a 107 point Flames team and then got embarrassed by the Avs while applauding how amazing the opponent was.
He had a good chance at a cup, you have to make those opportunities.
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2021, 11:53 AM   #10294
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
The only one I wonder about is Rittich and if we should not try to resign him. He may be looking for an opportunity to be a starter elsewhere, but with Markstroms struggles at times this year, combined with the injury risk, it sure would be nice to have a serviceable backup and I feel Rittich fits the role of a 1b better than most available options.
Can't see him wanting to stay, especially given Darryl's history of riding his #1 (which isn't a great idea with Markstrom).

Rittich is a good tandem option...not sure he's the right guy to play every 7th game though.

Quote:

Depending on the price paid in the trade, I'm not sure any team would mind losing Gio in expansion. It's still 3.75M in cap space and a guy you weren't keeping for more than that year anyways...
Old 03-31-2021, 12:00 PM   #10295
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get why GMs didn't take a flyer on Ghost but to me it's bad asset management.

If you're a team like LA why not take a flyer on him.

If he was a UFA this offseason a 2 year x $4.5M contract wouldn't be the worst thing.

He's not great in his own end but he still is good in transition and in the offensive zone. Plus he's only 27 years old and hasn't really regressed, just hasn't fit in with AV in Philly.

He's a free asset that probably could get you a high pick eventually if you manage the situation right.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:10 PM   #10296
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

If he was a UFA this offseason a 2 year x $4.5M contract wouldn't be the worst thing.

He's not great in his own end but he still is good in transition and in the offensive zone. Plus he's only 27 years old and hasn't really regressed, just hasn't fit in with AV in Philly.

He's a free asset that probably could get you a high pick eventually if you manage the situation right.
That’s why I’d like to see the Flames take a look at him in a trade. Johnny and Gio for konecny and ghost might be an ok trade and if philly wants to get rid of ghost maybe we get a good pick. Ghost might be a very good add to our pp. he might be better than Gio already but even more so next year.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:17 PM   #10297
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

Because he’s terrible. Teams actually watch players pay. No one wants him at that contract.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2021, 12:26 PM   #10298
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Because he’s terrible. Teams actually watch players pay. No one wants him at that contract.

Gostisbehere is not terrible. He's playing the third most minutes on the Flyers per game and is holding his own in both ends. He's playing 20 minutes a game and has five goals and 11 points, which is second to Provorov on the Flyers for production. What's surprising, is he's only -1 for the season. Comparatively, Sanheim and Myers are both -13 and Provorov is a +4. There is something up to this move and it has to be trade related. Ghost is far from the problem on the Flyers' blueline.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2021, 12:30 PM   #10299
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames currently have 7 picks in the 2021 draft. By the time the draft starts I sure hope they have a lot more than that.

Needs to be some serious selling by the Flames on this deadline. Plus the core needs to be broken apart too.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:31 PM   #10300
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Gostisbehere is not terrible. He's playing the third most minutes on the Flyers per game and is holding his own in both ends. He's playing 20 minutes a game and has five goals and 11 points, which is second to Provorov on the Flyers for production. What's surprising, is he's only -1 for the season. Comparatively, Sanheim and Myers are both -13 and Provorov is a +4. There is something up to this move and it has to be trade related. Ghost is far from the problem on the Flyers' blueline.
Oops meant to hit reply

How can “something be up”

The league just proved at his salary no team wants him for free

If he had positive value he would have been claimed. Clearing waivers if literally evidence he has no positive value
Closed Thread