Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 06:58 AM   #10261
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
Does clearing make him more ‘trade attractive’?

I doubt anyone wants to trade assets for a player with a long term fairly big contract just because he cleared waivers.

If they liked him, they would claim him.

Putting the Ghost on the taxi squad is a huge waste of money and cap space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2021, 07:22 AM   #10262
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Let's not kid ourselves. The past 2 mid seasons deadlines, Brad decided that the only moves we needed were for defense. I wouldn't be surprised if he did it again. For some reason. And he continues to talk about how he's gonna shake up the core..

Sent from my XQ-AT52 using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2021, 07:27 AM   #10263
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhitbox View Post
Let's not kid ourselves. The past 2 mid seasons deadlines, Brad decided that the only moves we needed were for defense. I wouldn't be surprised if he did it again. For some reason. And he continues to talk about how he's gonna shake up the core..

Why do you insist on making things up in order to criticize Treliving? He “decided” nothing of the sort. In fact, he tried to trade defence for a centre last year. The year before he tried to get Zucker and Stone.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2021, 07:29 AM   #10264
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Why do you insist on making things up in order to criticize Treliving? He “decided” nothing of the sort. In fact, he tried to trade defence for a centre last year. The year before he tried to get Zucker and Stone.
This season looks to be one where the team is selling and Treliving has done well in the 2 deadlines where he did that.

There is no way the team adds a rental this year
Old 03-31-2021, 07:31 AM   #10265
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Treliving says, "hold my beer."
Old 03-31-2021, 07:31 AM   #10266
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
This season looks to be one where the team is selling and Treliving has done well in the 2 deadlines where he did that.

This is true. Now, he has never moved guys of the status of Monahan or Gaudreau or Tkachuk so we’ll see how he does. Closest was Hudler, I guess. The Hudler and Glencross dumps looked great because of the extreme drop off of both players post trade. This time the players are younger.

I actually think none of the rentals he got were true rentals in that he was prepared to sign all of them if things worked out well.
Old 03-31-2021, 07:54 AM   #10267
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
This is true. Now, he has never moved guys of the status of Monahan or Gaudreau or Tkachuk so we’ll see how he does. Closest was Hudler, I guess. The Hudler and Glencross dumps looked great because of the extreme drop off of both players post trade. This time the players are younger.

I actually think none of the rentals he got were true rentals in that he was prepared to sign all of them if things worked out well.
I’m thinking he’s going to be looking to move Bennett, Ryan, Rittich, and maybe Lievo. If the Flames retain salary, I think that greases the wheels a bit so that they can take back picks.

The big moves will come in the offseason. Had Philly’s season not unfolded as it has, there maybe could have been an opportunity to move JG prior to or at the deadline, but I don’t think that is in the cards at the moment.
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2021, 07:56 AM   #10268
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Brad Treliving needs to try to sell all of the following at the deadline: Bennett, Simon, Rittich, Nesterov, Nordstrom, Leivo, Ritchie and Ryan.

I think the Flames have a strong chance of selling Bennett, Rittich and Ryan.

I predict the Flames will sell Bennett to the Penguins for a 2022 draft pick.

I also think the Flames need to entertain offers on everyone at the deadline. The Flames should sell Monahan and/or Gaudreau if they get a great offer (otherwise, wait until the offseason). The Flames should sell Giordano if they get a fair offer (rapidly depreciating asset).
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2021, 09:20 AM   #10269
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I agree with most here, small deal or two at the deadline. Bottom 6 forward for a pick(s) type thing.

The draft is the time to make some bigger moves in my mind. Just hope thats what we see, a real shakeup of the core. Johnny or Monahan specifically.

I assume when that trade happens, it will be for picks and prospects. Good for the future, not so good for now. Curious is management is on board with that though.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:24 AM   #10270
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

The only one I wonder about is Rittich and if we should not try to resign him. He may be looking for an opportunity to be a starter elsewhere, but with Markstroms struggles at times this year, combined with the injury risk, it sure would be nice to have a serviceable backup and I feel Rittich fits the role of a 1b better than most available options.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:25 AM   #10271
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Brad Treliving needs to try to sell all of the following at the deadline: Bennett, Simon, Rittich, Nesterov, Nordstrom, Leivo, Ritchie and Ryan.

I also think the Flames need to entertain offers on everyone at the deadline. The Flames should sell Monahan and/or Gaudreau if they get a great offer (otherwise, wait until the offseason). The Flames should sell Giordano if they get a fair offer (rapidly depreciating asset).
I think if you can sell to a contender that Gio still has it in him to be a solid middle pairing contributor, then go for it. A team like the Habs could offer us Byron + 2nd + Armia, or something along those lines. Armia would be a middle 6 RW upgrade that can PK. Byron would be a decent bottom 6 addition. Gets paid more than he should, but so does Gio.

EDIT: Should probably clarify that Montreal is NOT a contender, but they’re loading up to try and go on a surprise run. I think Gio would help more than hurt their chances.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:49 AM   #10272
FranksandBean
Draft Pick

Default Boston

I was wondering if Boston would be interested in Gaudreau and maybe Giordano? They are not getting younger and Rask will not be there for ever so maybe they are willing to have a window he next two years with Giordano and Gaudreau.

Boston(Out $6.42, In $6.75);
DeBrusk - $3.675 this year and next year (4.85 qualifying offer)
Kase - $2.6 this year (2.6 qualifying offer)
Studnicka - ECL
Calgary(Out $13.5, In $);
Gaudreau - $6.75 this and next year
Giordano- $6.75 this and next year
Old 03-31-2021, 09:56 AM   #10273
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksandBean View Post
I was wondering if Boston would be interested in Gaudreau and maybe Giordano? They are not getting younger and Rask will not be there for ever so maybe they are willing to have a window he next two years with Giordano and Gaudreau.

Boston(Out $6.42, In $6.75);
DeBrusk - $3.675 this year and next year (4.85 qualifying offer)
Kase - $2.6 this year (2.6 qualifying offer)
Studnicka - ECL
Calgary(Out $13.5, In $);
Gaudreau - $6.75 this and next year
Giordano- $6.75 this and next year
Disgustingly bad trade. Boston does not have the pieces for Gaudreau. Get your head out of your rear!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2021, 09:57 AM   #10274
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

For whatever reason I feel like Carolina would put in an offer for Gaudreau...
Old 03-31-2021, 10:00 AM   #10275
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
For whatever reason I feel like Carolina would put in an offer for Gaudreau...
Geekie+ Jarvis for Gaudreau+ Rittich?
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2021, 10:13 AM   #10276
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Geekie+ Jarvis for Gaudreau+ Rittich?
Carolina already has three goalies, apparently they're looking at trading Rheimer away once Mrazek comes back. Alex Nedeljkovic has been fantastic.

I don't think they are interested in Rittich.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2021, 10:17 AM   #10277
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Carolina already has three goalies, apparently they're looking at trading Rheimer away once Mrazek comes back. Alex Nedeljkovic has been fantastic.

I don't think they are interested in Rittich.
Forgot about Nedel and knew that Mrazek was injured (and has a history of injury...)

Also need a way for Carolina to add Johnny's salary, but they don't have many dump worthy pieces.

Reimer+Geekie+Jarvis for Gaudreau might work? We could then deal Rittich separately.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:20 AM   #10278
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post

100% agreed even though I will miss Rittich immensely.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:22 AM   #10279
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Last year? Or the year before? 2019 when they started to slump just before the mid season all star game, he went out and got Erik Gustafsson, and forbort and fantenberg. If you think Lucic was going to be the missing piece the team needed, then fine, but before that it was James Neal. This while time we needed a right winger that could shoot and play top lines minutes. This isn't a new problem, it just hasn't been addressed properly. Now we are aware that mony isn't going to be our number one center, so who's gonna fill that roll? The problem is the writing was on the wall before covid, he just never addressed it. So it is a BT problem

Old 03-31-2021, 10:23 AM   #10280
shotinthebacklund
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Gostibehere Cleared waivers. Pretty surprised honestly.
Closed Thread