Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2023, 10:24 AM   #10261
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If this is true, it’s a brilliant maneuver. I have my doubts.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 10:33 PM   #10262
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

GWBush, still making people laugh

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cr7Lv...RlODBiNWFlZA==
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calculoso For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2023, 09:57 AM   #10263
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

The latest on the Marine that choked out and killed a homeless man on the subway in NYC.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1658161261425700868
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 10:45 AM   #10264
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

eeeeeeewwwww

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...sexual-assault
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 11:55 AM   #10265
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah it sounds like there's a tonne of evidence against him and I believe I read that Giuliani is planning on representing himself so I'm expecting some good laughs.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 12:09 PM   #10266
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of course the disgraced “lawyer” is representing himself.

I’m not even a bit surprised.
Old 05-16-2023, 12:15 PM   #10267
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Describing what Dunphy says happened the first time Giuliani initiated sexual contact, the suit includes a still from the Borat film.
That makes for good tv. I can only assume Borat and his daughter will be subpoened and show up in character.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 01:07 PM   #10268
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
That makes for good tv. I can only assume Borat and his daughter will be subpoened and show up in character.

I'd watch that trial!

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2023, 09:00 PM   #10269
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

What will be the most politically interesting thing to come out of the sexual assault allegations against Giuliani is that it is alleged he and Trump were selling pardons:

Quote:
The complaint also states that Giuliani claimed he had "immunity" and discussed presidential pardons, which he said he was selling for $2 million and would split with then-President Donald Trump. Giuliani purportedly told Dunphy she could send individuals seeking pardon directly to him so that they did not need to "the normal channels" of the Office of the Pardon Attorney.

NBC reported that Trump pardoned 74 people and commuted the sentences of 70 others shortly before leaving office in 2021.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1658251451871768577
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2023, 09:09 PM   #10270
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trump selling pardons is not new. We’ve heard that before.
Old 05-16-2023, 11:31 PM   #10271
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
The latest on the Marine that choked out and killed a homeless man on the subway in NYC.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1658161261425700868
I still want to know what Neely was doing that caused multiple passengers to intervene. Whatever it was he certainly didn’t deserve to die, but if he was threatening people, its a pretty different look.

That twitter video said he was complaining about wanting food and water. But witnesses reported he threw his jacket and said he didn’t care if he went to jail. That’s scary if you’re trapped in a train car with him.

Quote:
Juan Alberto Vazquez, the freelance journalist who recorded the incident, told the New York Post that Neely was screaming "in an aggressive manner."

"He said he had no food, he had no drink, that he was tired and doesn't care if he goes to jail," Vazquez said. He added that Neely did not attack anyone but that the Marine veteran approached him after he threw his jacket to the ground.
https://www.newsweek.com/jordan-neel...-death-1798248

He had multiple arrests for assault.

Anyway, hopefully at some point there is more clarity here. Its tragic he’s dead, and tragic a guy who was probably trying to protect others in a non lethal way ended up killing him.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 11:44 PM   #10272
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trotting out the arrest record of the victim. Familiar ploy.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2023, 12:04 AM   #10273
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if Daniel Penny is going to come out of it a multi-millionaire just like Kyle Rittenhouse and George Zimmerman. Will celebrity murderers be the next big thing in America?
Old 05-17-2023, 12:14 AM   #10274
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Trotting out the arrest record of the victim. Familiar ploy.
He had a history of violent behavior. Feels relevant to the circumstances, no?

I think it’s terrible what happened. But it’s not as simple as “a man asked for food and water and was murdered” which is what the twitter video made it sound like.
Old 05-17-2023, 12:21 AM   #10275
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post
I still want to know what Neely was doing that caused multiple passengers to intervene. Whatever it was he certainly didn’t deserve to die, but if he was threatening people, its a pretty different look.

That twitter video said he was complaining about wanting food and water. But witnesses reported he threw his jacket and said he didn’t care if he went to jail. That’s scary if you’re trapped in a train car with him.

https://www.newsweek.com/jordan-neel...-death-1798248

He had multiple arrests for assault.

Anyway, hopefully at some point there is more clarity here. Its tragic he’s dead, and tragic a guy who was probably trying to protect others in a non lethal way ended up killing him.
he had 4 alleged assault arrests, no convictions as they would have published those if they could and assault for a panhandler probably means he was tugging at people as they walked by as he begged or wasnt wholly cooperative when the transit cops asked him to move on, the easiest way for a cop to arrest a street person is to put their hands on their shoulder so that they then knock the cops hand off, hey presto common assault and a ride to the jail!!!
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 12:32 AM   #10276
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He had a history of violent behavior. Feels relevant to the circumstances, no?

I think it’s terrible what happened. But it’s not as simple as “a man asked for food and water and was murdered” which is what the twitter video made it sound like.

As indicated in the article, arrests are for a whole variety of things. You can get arrested for loitering. I think if they want to be even a little honest, list real crimes and details not bs crap like jaywalking or not paying fare or accusations.

However, all of this in unbeknownst to Penny, so, the victim’s arrest record is only pertinent for making the victim look bad after the fact.

There isn’t much scrutiny into Penny though. “Former” Marine at only 24? Seems a little odd, no? Why no deep dives into that? Of course there’s probably a very good reason though, while everything the victim ever did will be reduced to “over 40 arrests, of course he was a menace!”.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2023, 07:02 AM   #10277
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
As indicated in the article, arrests are for a whole variety of things. You can get arrested for loitering. I think if they want to be even a little honest, list real crimes and details not bs crap like jaywalking or not paying fare or accusations.

However, all of this in unbeknownst to Penny, so, the victim’s arrest record is only pertinent for making the victim look bad after the fact.

There isn’t much scrutiny into Penny though. “Former” Marine at only 24? Seems a little odd, no? Why no deep dives into that? Of course there’s probably a very good reason though, while everything the victim ever did will be reduced to “over 40 arrests, of course he was a menace!”.
I don't disagree that being homeless is going to attract a lot of minor arrests like public drunkenness and urination and tresspass. No issue there.

It was specifically the assault arrests that stuck out to me, and the reason I mentioned them.

And yeah, maybe Penny is a white supremisist. But then why were 2 other random people helping him hold the guy down?

All of that is to say - it sucks that instead of a clear statement on what happened the MAGA crowd is doing their "there is no more rule of law and vigilantes are heroes!" and the left is "a white man murdered a black man for asking for water!" when neither appears to be the case.
Old 05-17-2023, 07:12 AM   #10278
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
he had 4 alleged assault arrests, no convictions as they would have published those if they could and assault for a panhandler probably means he was tugging at people as they walked by as he begged or wasnt wholly cooperative when the transit cops asked him to move on, the easiest way for a cop to arrest a street person is to put their hands on their shoulder so that they then knock the cops hand off, hey presto common assault and a ride to the jail!!!
That doesn't appear to be the situation here.

Quote:
According to The Post, in one instance, Neely was accused of punching a 67-year-old woman, breaking her nose and fracturing her orbital bones. He was incarcerated at Rikers Island until February 9, 2023, for second-degree assault, and there was a warrant issued for his arrest on February 23, according to The Post, which said Neely was once accused of threatening to kill his grandfather.
https://heavy.com/news/daniel-penny/
Old 05-17-2023, 08:06 AM   #10279
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mrs. Family Values and Grandma at 36 is getting divorced. Not spectacular in itself, but some of these things read like an Onion article:

Quote:
“Once he learned that he was being served with Dissolution of Marriage papers he was extremely angry,” the process server wrote. “I tried to hand him the documents but [he] did not take them. He started yelling and using profanities, and told me that I was trespassing, and that he was calling the Sheriff’s Office. I told him I was leaving the documents on the chair outside of the door, he closed the door then let the dogs out.”

The document noted that Jayson was cleaning a gun and drinking a “tall glass of beer” when he was served.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/lauren...divorce-papers

these people really are GTA characters come to life.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 08:29 AM   #10280
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
That doesn't appear to be the situation here.

https://heavy.com/news/daniel-penny/
So what? None of that meant anything in the moment nor does it mean he deserved to be murdered. The reliability of some people insisting on posthumously assassinating the character of the victim in these situations is expected but disheartening nonetheless
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post: