Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2023, 11:56 AM   #1001
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Is this all just a ruse by the Dodgers industrial complex to somehow dissuade Ohtani to sign with the Jays? To see if anyone on the Jays executive team will pull a Dave Roberts? Or to give Ohtani some sort of buyers remorse? I don't know. It's all been so bizarre.
Hopefully it's just as simple as Dodgers Nation makes it out to be. Ohtani picked the Jays, told the Dodgers that, and they leaked it but the Jays and Ohtani aren't confirming anything just yet. Hopefully have an announcement by the end of the weekend.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 12:00 PM   #1002
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1733530179308318980

This MoccBomb guy is also standing fast that Ohtani is a Jay, just ironing out the details.

MoccBomb has broken a few things that were true too.
Old 12-09-2023, 12:01 PM   #1003
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hold out hope Jays fans!
Old 12-09-2023, 12:04 PM   #1004
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

What I love about today is the insiders know they don't know anything and are shutting the hell up. Morosi basically outed himself as a phony based on the outward lie he went with, and all the others know their credibility is shot as nobody knows anything. It would literally be Ohtani himself, his agent and perhaps his family who know where he's going. If none are going to leak it, there's nobody insiders can get info from. No need to wreak your reputation.

And to the Dodgersnation double down, not sure what to make of it. Deals leak at the NHL from the lead offices when forms are submitted and someone at the office leaks it. If he still has to go through physical exams, I'd just imagine the Jays would fly their docs down there or to Dunedin and get it done, then file the paperwork. The longer this goes on I'd be inclined to believe that the Dodgers are getting him as they'd be doing the medical exams needed on the down-low.

I don't know what's holding up Ohtani from making a decision though. That's the most annoying part in all this. His season ended a long time ago, and he knew his contenders and what they had to offer. A couple sleeps on it, cool. Waiting a week or so seems like an analysis-paralysis situation.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 12:08 PM   #1005
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
What I love about today is the insiders know they don't know anything and are shutting the hell up. Morosi basically outed himself as a phony based on the outward lie he went with, and all the others know their credibility is shot as nobody knows anything. It would literally be Ohtani himself, his agent and perhaps his family who know where he's going. If none are going to leak it, there's nobody insiders can get info from. No need to wreak your reputation.

And to the Dodgersnation double down, not sure what to make of it. Deals leak at the NHL from the lead offices when forms are submitted and someone at the office leaks it. If he still has to go through physical exams, I'd just imagine the Jays would fly their docs down there or to Dunedin and get it done, then file the paperwork. The longer this goes on I'd be inclined to believe that the Dodgers are getting him as they'd be doing the medical exams needed on the down-low.

I don't know what's holding up Ohtani from making a decision though. That's the most annoying part in all this. His season ended a long time ago, and he knew his contenders and what they had to offer. A couple sleeps on it, cool. Waiting a week or so seems like an analysis-paralysis situation.
If Ohtani has already made his pick, he and his team would have informed the Dodgers of this, thus the leak to Dodgers media.

There are no leaks coming from the Jays side because they are not going to #### around and risk their new prized player getting upset before he's actually officially signed the contract.
Old 12-09-2023, 12:17 PM   #1006
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing is I don't think anyone on the Dodgers would be told yet. I bet he'll do an exam with the Jays first, then if things work out he'll inform the Dodgers. If things don't, and he informed the Dodgers already he'd have to go back with his tail between his legs. That's specifically why I'm skeptical of anyone knowing anything. If he told the Dodgers they're out I think more would know. Mind you it could be the Dodgers keeping quiet to his wishes because if he ever opted out they could always be an option, but I still think this is a nothing report. When there's an apparent 50/50 chance, some insiders very well don't mind losing the credibility when there's a 50% chance they could get a huge following. The upside is nice for some of these guys.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 12:24 PM   #1007
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

After taking this all in I'm confident he's a Jay. Makes the most sense as others have said that the Dodgers have been informed he's made his decision and it's not the Dodgers. They can now speak and leak at will, there's nothing at stake anymore.

The Jays on the other hand have every reason to keep everything air tight until the i's are dotted and t's crossed. Hence media being in the dark from Toronto' side.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 12:31 PM   #1008
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

There still has to be a chance there is another team involved, like the Rangers. Even if the info is legit that he has said no to the Dodgers, it’s pretty unlikely that Ohtani’s camp would specifically say he chose the Jays.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 01:07 PM   #1009
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ohtani to the Dodgers via his instagram
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2023, 01:07 PM   #1010
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

####ing Dodgers. Of course.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 01:10 PM   #1011
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well damn

Was fun to believe for a bit at least
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 01:10 PM   #1012
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Link to his post
https://www.instagram.com/p/C0pR_vyvLpR/
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 01:12 PM   #1013
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Piss. That sucks.

Dodgers play in Toronto end of April.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 01:12 PM   #1014
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a dreadfully boring outcome in the end. Could have saved everyone the time and done what we all thought at the start was going to happen.
Old 12-09-2023, 01:13 PM   #1015
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

700 million!!!
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 01:13 PM   #1016
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

This sucks
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 01:14 PM   #1017
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol $70 million per is something else

https://twitter.com/user/status/1733579104916492574
Old 12-09-2023, 01:14 PM   #1018
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

This was easily the worst timeline.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 01:14 PM   #1019
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 01:15 PM   #1020
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

$700 million. Yikes. He's worth more than any other player in baseball, but even that is getting up there.
Would the Rogers shareholders been able to stomach that?
browna is offline   Reply With Quote