Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2020, 07:10 AM   #1001
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was a great episode, but I was screaming a little inside. Kill Mof Gideon! Classic leaving your enemy alive mistake that will no doubt bite them.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 08:28 AM   #1002
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

It makes me laugh that people hate The Last Jedi but love The Mandalorian because from a pacing, universe building, and character development perspective The Mandalorian is closer to TLJ than it is to TFA or ROS.

Don’t get me wrong TLJ had its issues (Space Leia, Space Horses, etc) but it actually had decent character development arcs for Poe, Finn, Rey, and had a good redemption arc for Luke. Neither TFA or ROS even tried to develop the characters in anyway and pacing in those movies doesn’t exist.

I still think the biggest issue with The Last Jedi is that the older fans that grew up with Star Wars had their own plot in mind that tied more directly to the original trilogy, and didn’t like this one started to move away from that and that Disney was trying to take the franchise in a new direction.

They didn’t like seeing broken Luke (which actually isn’t Rian’s fault as that was set up in TFA), they wanted Snoke to be some big bad with connections to the OT, and didn’t like that the Finn/Rose storyline was throwing grey into the Black/White storyline that was Jedi vs Sith.

You can tell Disney has learned their lesson from that though. The ROS was just 120 minutes of fan service that all called back directly to the Original Trilogy, and now they just announced 10 new series that all tie directly into the original trilogy.

So much for trying to expand the universe or take is in a new and different direction.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2020, 08:50 AM   #1003
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
They probably wanted the scene with the 4 bad-ass women taking down the Imperials all by themselves and he would have ruined it.
I know for my daughter (11) - those things, and this one in particular (along with the scene from Avengers Endgame) stand out and she loves them.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2020, 09:01 AM   #1004
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only issue I had with the girl team was that they erased that other Mandalorian guy that was working with them (and presumably a trusted member of their team for years) with no explanation. Doesn’t make sense that they wouldn’t bring him along for the ultimate mission they’ve all been building towards. It was clearly done just for a “girl power” scene.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 09:29 AM   #1005
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
It makes me laugh that people hate The Last Jedi but love The Mandalorian because from a pacing, universe building, and character development perspective The Mandalorian is closer to TLJ than it is to TFA or ROS.

Don’t get me wrong TLJ had its issues (Space Leia, Space Horses, etc) but it actually had decent character development arcs for Poe, Finn, Rey, and had a good redemption arc for Luke. Neither TFA or ROS even tried to develop the characters in anyway and pacing in those movies doesn’t exist.

I still think the biggest issue with The Last Jedi is that the older fans that grew up with Star Wars had their own plot in mind that tied more directly to the original trilogy, and didn’t like this one started to move away from that and that Disney was trying to take the franchise in a new direction.

They didn’t like seeing broken Luke (which actually isn’t Rian’s fault as that was set up in TFA), they wanted Snoke to be some big bad with connections to the OT, and didn’t like that the Finn/Rose storyline was throwing grey into the Black/White storyline that was Jedi vs Sith.

You can tell Disney has learned their lesson from that though. The ROS was just 120 minutes of fan service that all called back directly to the Original Trilogy, and now they just announced 10 new series that all tie directly into the original trilogy.

So much for trying to expand the universe or take is in a new and different direction.

For those that don't want to read the response (that's why the spoilers)

Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2020, 09:34 AM   #1006
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good episode, my boy 14 (yrs old) screamed with Joy when Luke showed up.

I am still flummoxed by the stupidity of Storm Troopers, is there a more poorly trained or tactic executing bunch of dumb dumbs in cinema history. It would be nice to see some type of resistance put up by them.

Also, and this really bugged me for some reason, Fett’s henchmen dodged a blaster shot while they were moving through the ship. It was clearly meant to happen. The camera is focused on her and she move leans back as the shot goes past then she leaned forward and shoots the Storm Trooper. Ugh

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2020, 10:02 AM   #1007
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

When the dark troopers walked up to the blast door, I thought they were gonna whip out rad cutting beams or turn their arms into saws/drills. It was hilarious that their plan was to just punch the crap out of the door like rock em sock em robots.

Related to that, it really diminished their menace when Luke was able to breeze right through them as if they were Phantom Menace roger roger droids. Their armour is blaster proof and even Mando’s darts can’t penetrate, so their bodies should have provided just a bit more resistance to saber strikes. And they didn’t try anything else other than just using their firearms. It would have been nice if at least one of them did something different, like attempt to use muscle, or its jets to gain the high ground.

Still kicks ass though. I never liked the Vader hallway as much as everyone else does, so this gives me the f-yeahs I’ve been missing.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2020, 10:09 AM   #1008
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Spoiler!
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2020, 10:09 AM   #1009
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I liked the hardened nature of their armor, but I was hoping there would be a beskar connection to them.

At the end of the day, they're droids, not creative thinkers, and not immune to Force Crush.

Part of what happened just showed how powerful Force Users are compared to ordinary people. We saw it with Vader against ordinary troopers, and we saw it with Luke against super soldiers that were terrifying to ordinary people.

Old 12-19-2020, 10:10 AM   #1010
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Also, ion cannons continue to be the most overpowered and underutilized weapons in all of Star Wars. At least in the x-wing games, you had to deplete a ship’s shields before the cannons could disable it, but all the live action examples have them crippling a ship of any size with one or two shots, shields or not. Hell even after they disabled the shuttle Boba orders them to lower their shields, as if the ion shots went right through them.

Forget hyperspace ramming, fans should be asking why the rebels/resistance don’t just replace at least half of all laser cannons and turbolasers with ion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2020, 10:21 AM   #1011
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

heh, Ion cannons were suppossed to ignore shields and scramble systems they were a capture weapon. In Tie Fighter you had to use them to capture B-Wings, but you did have to batter down their shields before using them.

However in Empire strikes back two shots would scramble a star destroyer. In Wing Commander they made an appearance as leech guns, and they were very effective.

Old 12-19-2020, 10:56 AM   #1012
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Spoiler!
ROS was backed into a corner by TLJ. I think a lot of the disappointment is that TFA setup a lot of stuff, it was all made irrelevant in TLJ, and ROS had nowhere to go, other than trying to create a 3 movie arc from the setup of one, teardown of another, and trying to write a conclusion. It was doomed to fail, and a lot of that is the fault of the decision made in TLJ.

I'd love to her a conversation of what Rian had envisioned was going to happen in the last installment, because he really didn't leave much to work with, and had rearranged the relationships built in TFA. So it's not so much that TLJ was full of bad ideas in isolation(thoguh there were many), but it destroyed any semblance of a rational logical story. You can't just kill of the bad guy in the second act, and expect it to make sense in the 3rd. TFA may have been fan service, but at least it left pieces to build on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2020, 11:18 AM   #1013
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
I know for my daughter (11) - those things, and this one in particular (along with the scene from Avengers Endgame) stand out and she loves them.
So if the one extra guy was there and it was 4 women + 1 man kicking ass, does your daughter no longer love it?

Honest question, I don't have kids.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 11:20 AM   #1014
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
ROS was backed into a corner by TLJ. I think a lot of the disappointment is that TFA setup a lot of stuff, it was all made irrelevant in TLJ, and ROS had nowhere to go, other than trying to create a 3 movie arc from the setup of one, teardown of another, and trying to write a conclusion. It was doomed to fail, and a lot of that is the fault of the decision made in TLJ.

I'd love to her a conversation of what Rian had envisioned was going to happen in the last installment, because he really didn't leave much to work with, and had rearranged the relationships built in TFA. So it's not so much that TLJ was full of bad ideas in isolation(thoguh there were many), but it destroyed any semblance of a rational logical story. You can't just kill of the bad guy in the second act, and expect it to make sense in the 3rd. TFA may have been fan service, but at least it left pieces to build on.
Snoke wasn't the bad guy in TLJ he was a foil, to allow Kylo bolster his bad cred. It's the exact opposite of the originals where Vader looked like the big bad early on, and softened later as he became redeemable and the Emperor was the real big bad. When your making sequels things that look the same but are the opposite are very good, you want it to mirror the old story, but if your not doing something different, why bother.

The last movie had limitless possibilities because they broke out of the pacing of the original trilogy. IMO it was setup for a final one on one show down, absent the old masters, absent the fleets. I think TLJ would have been very strong narratively, if there had been an ending to the trilogy where the resistance had nobody left to fight and the order had nobody left to fight, but Rey still had to put Kylo down to make it all stop, it would have left the galaxy looking to a different future not the empire, not the new republic. It would have left the galaxy in a very different place the RoTJ, you would have would have had the battle end without remnants of the empire floating around re-amassing into the First Order. Leaving the galaxy in a different place should have been the purpose of making another trilogy. Now we're just in a place where lots of people are happy to join up with whatever crazy dark side crap the next clone of the emperor comes up with, and lots of people are waiting to fight back, and they could just make another sequel trilogy all over again that would fall flat again, unless they are brave enough to try and tell a different story.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2020, 11:42 AM   #1015
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You guys are really softening up my Mandalorian boner with all this TLJ talk. It’s like Homer forcing himself to imagine Barney in a polka dot bikini.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2020, 11:46 AM   #1016
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

If only there was a thread for the TLJ
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 11:53 AM   #1017
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, here we go again, round and round in circles with the same arguments that have been discussed ad nauseam since 2017. If you guys are gonna constantly piss and moan about the sequel trilogy, can you please take it to the other SW thread?
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 01:39 PM   #1018
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

ok - that was AMAZING!!!! oh sweet mother!!! soooooo good!!!

for those who watched rebels... any thoughts on why bo katan accepted the dark sabre from sabine but now won't accept it from mando?

Last edited by bc-chris; 12-19-2020 at 01:44 PM.
bc-chris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 02:03 PM   #1019
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
The only issue I had with the girl team was that they erased that other Mandalorian guy that was working with them (and presumably a trusted member of their team for years) with no explanation. Doesn’t make sense that they wouldn’t bring him along for the ultimate mission they’ve all been building towards. It was clearly done just for a “girl power” scene.
I dont even care about that, Cara and Koska were great. I dont know if its the writing or if they're just bad actors, but Bo Katan and her sidekick were painful to watch. Literally not only the weakest link in that episode but the only bad part of it.

Although, and fine I know this is nit-picky...how does a laser-rifle 'jam?' It doesnt seem like it would have a lot of moving parts.

Either way, as much as I complain, I loved it. This is the best Star Wars I've seen in forever and it was AMAZING.

But they can launch Bo Katan and her buddy out an airlock.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2020, 02:22 PM   #1020
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I dont even care about that, Cara and Koska were great. I dont know if its the writing or if they're just bad actors, but Bo Katan and her sidekick were painful to watch. Literally not only the weakest link in that episode but the only bad part of it.

Although, and fine I know this is nit-picky...how does a laser-rifle 'jam?' It doesnt seem like it would have a lot of moving parts.

Either way, as much as I complain, I loved it. This is the best Star Wars I've seen in forever and it was AMAZING.

But they can launch Bo Katan and her buddy out an airlock.
I believe this has been addressed by the first response, as you may remember it happening in A new Hope:

Quote:
It can jammed by plot convenience
https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/co..._in_episode_4/

I do like how they keep referring back to all these previous tidbits from the OT, like Hell.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: