Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2016, 03:28 PM   #1001
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
I wonder what the inevitable next "Death Star" will be called...
You'll have to wait until the movie after First Order Strikes Back, as it won't appear until Return of the Republic.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2016, 07:10 AM   #1002
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

You can pre-order the Blu-ray/DVD/Digital on amazon for $28.69. Prime members can get shipped to arrive on release day.

http://www.amazon.ca/Star-Wars-Awake...eywords=bluray

Also there is a price guarantee. If the price drops between now and shipping, you will be charged the lowest price.

Last edited by sureLoss; 01-11-2016 at 07:22 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:15 AM   #1003
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why do they always do Blu-Ray and DVD in the same box? I just want the Blu-Ray, man. It's a waste of a DVD.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:18 AM   #1004
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Why do they always do Blu-Ray and DVD in the same box? I just want the Blu-Ray, man. It's a waste of a DVD.
Free Coasters?

I remember way back in the day all of the money I saved on refinishing furniture and coffee tables thanks to the AOL 'Free Coasters in the Mail' program.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:24 AM   #1005
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So they can charge you more (plus they include a digital download too).

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:41 AM   #1006
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Late to the party but my thoughts after 3 viewings.

- Loved all the new characters Rey/Finn/Maz/Poe

- Even on the 3rd viewing I got goosebumps during the opening scrawl, the lightsaber fight at the end and the scene on the island with Luke

- I'm not upset about the plot at all. I didn't much care about the fact it was a retread.

- Only real complaints are the freighter scene with the asian guys and the monster. Would have been so much better off giving us some exposition and character development with Han/Chewie/Rey/Finn just talking. Sort of like scene in ANH where they talk about the force on the falcon and luke briefly trains.

- Also not a huge fan of casting of Hux. That guy is a comedic actor most of the time and I didn't buy him for a second as a Nazi like fanatic. It got better on viewings 2 and 3 but I still cringe a bit each time.

- Like others I'm a bit perplexed by the Leia/Rey hug instead of Chewie but they did make a point of showing Chewie grieving alone

- During the Rey flashback scene we definitely hear Obi Wan, as has been acknowledge by the filmmakers, and she is handed off to the Simon Pegg character, I forget his name, the guy who buys scraps. That seems kinda weird to me. He wasn't her friend in the movie. Was he just pulling a Snape type move where he protects her but isn't very nice? Or maybe she wasn't left there by her parents, someone just dropper her there?

- More about her heritage, if Leia and Han are her parents, why the accent? To me that points more to random lineage, even if she was in Luke's Jedi school, or to Obi Wan lineage.

- I had no problems with Snoke or the CGI.

- I think it is kind of too bad that so many people are getting so worked up over Snoke's identity and other EU stuff. Not because I don't like the EU, I do and I think it has a place in Star Wars lore and there are some great stories there. I just don't want the movie to suffer from overhype and theories that will be a let down when it turns out Snoke is just Snoke and Rey's parents are two randoms.

A bit off topic so spoilers (for Polak)

Spoiler!

- with reports coming out that there will be no extended cut, is there any chance that some nerds will make a fan edit extended cut? Do people do that kind of thing?

- lastly, I read a lot in this thread about the official order to watch before release and which movies are best. Despecialized editions are the only way to watch and are great quality. Also no matter how much people fan edit the prequels they are unwatchable. Only order to ever watch Star Wars is 4, 5, 6, 7. That's it. Maybe throw in some Clone Wars or Rebels animated shows if you want some backstory.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:48 AM   #1007
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Late to the party but my thoughts after 3 viewings.
Holy #### where have you been?

MOD edit: You don't need to quote the entire post.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2016, 10:49 AM   #1008
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
- More about her heritage, if Leia and Han are her parents, why the accent? To me that points more to random lineage, even if she was in Luke's Jedi school, or to Obi Wan lineage.
I agree with most of your stuff. Don't know the background of the Hux actor, so he didn't bother me in that way.

As for the quote, accents aren't genetic.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:50 AM   #1009
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So you can play it in your minvan that only has a DVD player.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #1010
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

- with reports coming out that there will be no extended cut, is there any chance that some nerds will make a fan edit extended cut? Do people do that kind of thing?
I'd bet within a week someone has spliced all the deleted scenes into appropriate locations so I'm not to worried about a lack of directors cut.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:53 AM   #1011
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Or can load into your computer/iPad/etc...
Old 01-11-2016, 10:54 AM   #1012
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I agree with most of your stuff. Don't know the background of the Hux actor, so he didn't bother me in that way.

As for the quote, accents aren't genetic.
Absolutely they are not, you are right. I guess what i mean is, if there are hints to her heritage she has accent/Obi Wan has accent. A stretch as far as hint go but it's something, right?

And while accents aren't genetic, you don't just develop one at random. Maybe she developed it as a child on Jakku but maybe she developed it from hanging out with her parents, which means it can't be Leia and Han. That's all I was getting at.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 01-11-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:57 AM   #1013
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm sure the amount of people who buy the package and actually want both is significantly smaller than the amount of people who only want the Blu-Ray.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:58 AM   #1014
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Absolutely they are not, you are right. I guess what i mean is, if there are hints to her heritage, she has accent/Obi Wan has accent. A stretch as far as hint go but it's something, right?

And while accents aren't genetic, you don't just develop one at random. Maybe she developed it as a child on Jakku but maybe she developed it from hanging out with her parents, which means it can't be Leia and Han. That's all I was getting at.
I don't think it really points to much to be honest. I see what you're getting at, but if she had any accent at all before being dropped off on Jakku, it would most certainly gone and replaced with whatever accent she picked up there seeing as she was very young.

If I recall correctly, the scrapper (Simon Pegg) had a British inflection. It could have came from there.

I do find it interesting that Ridley kept her accent while Boyega, (who is British) put on a North American one (and nailed it btw).
Old 01-11-2016, 10:58 AM   #1015
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm still not convinced that rey is rlated to Han and Leia directly. I'm of that view that she's not even Luke's daughter. I keep going back to her being a friend of Kylo's that he took under his wing or protected when he was at the academy.

I tend to think that Kylo was a loner, you know the brooding angry emo kid who curses the universe because he's never going to live up to his parents expectations, and the only way he can surpass them is to strive to be like Grandpa. You could even argue that he was more obsessed originally with pre fall Anakin and tossing his boss into a reactor Anakin and wants the power and feels that he can control the fall. This could have been the seduction line that Snoke used on him.

Vader made a lot of mistakes, and he wend evil because of them, what if you can have the power of the dark and the light without the fall.

Only too late does Kylo realize that this is the trap of the darkside, if you use the power you become a servant of the Darkside.

Most Jedi believe that the force is light a river, that it will take you where it needs you to go. Jedi are the servants of the force and destiny.

Most Sith believe that they are the center of the force and they can use it and move it the way they want, that the force is the servant and the Sith is the Master, but as they continue to use it more in their hunt for power above all, they start having to pay the price that's laid out by the Dark Side. That they will lose their family, and friends and loved ones. That they will have to destroy everything that stands in their way of greater power.

Even when Anakin strives during his fall to find the power to save his wife. After he learns she dies, because he realized that when he should have been thinking about her, and saving her, he was only thinking about himself and power, so for that brief moment she became an obstacle and stumbling block.

Anyways, I was bored this weekend and I started to read the really good Darth Bane trilogy again.

Some quotes from Bane that help with how a Sith things

“Equality is a lie,” Bane told her. “A myth to appease the masses. Simply look around and you will see the lie for what it is! There are those with power, those with the strength and will to lead. And there are those meant to follow—those incapable of anything but servitude and a meager, worthless existence. “Equality is a perversion of the natural order!”

“Don’t count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves.”

By its very nature, the dark side invites rivalry and strife. This is the greatest strength of the Sith: it culls the weak from our order.”

I know what it means to suffer. I used to be a victim. But I refused to accept my lot in life. I made myself strong. Those who are victims have no one to blame but themselves. They do not deserve pi

ty; they are victims because of their own failures and weaknesses.”

“Those who follow the dark side see the truth of their enslavement, We recognize the chains that bind us and hold us back. We believe in the power of the individual to break these chains. That is the path to greatness. Only if we are free can we reach our full potential.”

“The Jedi shackle themselves in chains of obedience: obedience to the Jedi Council; obedience to their Masters; obedience to the Republic. Those who follow the light side even believe they must submit themselves to the Force. They are merely instruments of its will, slaves to a greater good.”

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2016, 11:10 AM   #1016
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cecil Terwilliger

Old 01-11-2016, 11:46 AM   #1017
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just read a fascinating scholarly article about film making, storytelling, and the Star Wars series. Honestly, the read took like 2 hours to get through, but it was absolutely fascinating - best read of the year so far, even better than the read on why Edmonton's LRT is the biggest waste of money and time ever.

Star Wars Ring Theory -
How George Lucas used an ancient technique called “ring composition” to reach a level of storytelling sophistication in his six-part saga that is unprecedented in cinema history.
http://www.starwarsringtheory.com/

Really great read. It actually gave me a greater appreciation as to how and why Lucas filmed what he filmed. Doesn't mean he did it well, but the way he was doing it has fascinating implications. Really, give it a read.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knalus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2016, 12:01 PM   #1018
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Saw it for the first time last night.

- Ultra AVX with dbox seating was very cool

- Felt like a star wars movie, except one I have already seen 30 years ago.

- I get why the retread was necessary, but left a bit disappointed.

- Enjoyed the new characters and seeing the old ones appear.

- Poe's extended dogfight scene with both tie-fighters and ground troops was very cool!

- lightsabre battles were cool, I'm good with Rey's force awakening allowing her to go toe to toe with Ren

- Didn't like the earthquake canyon exactly bisecting Renn/Rey, do something else to separate them. If a sudden crack is expanding in front of me, I'm not going to just stand around on the edge.

- Final scene with the 360 of Luke on the mountain top felt like a season premiere of Survivor, was expecting a Jeff Probst voiceover.
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:02 PM   #1019
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

ok, I laughed at the survivor description.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2016, 12:30 PM   #1020
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
V