Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2023, 03:03 PM   #10021
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

It already is a circus
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2023, 03:04 PM   #10022
CroCop
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Are you confusing him for someone else? Lethbridge never got rid of him he just got too old. I also never heard rumblings about Addison being a problem. I was always under the impression that he was well liked.
Sorry I wasn’t referring to the Hurricanes but rather people from there and reputation he left behind. Off ice stuff though I’m sure the Canes were aware of. I’m sure if you asked around there’d be a story or 2.
CroCop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroCop For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2023, 03:04 PM   #10023
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Child = Huberdeau
Parent = Walsh
Classroom = Hockey Team
Teacher = Huska
Principal = Conroy
SuperNintendo Chalmers = Edwards

"My kid is complaining about being unhappy at school and not fitting in with the other kids in the class.

What are you going to do about it??
Can you get rid of some of the kids? (Done)
Can you get some new kids? (Done)
Can we switch classrooms? (Done last summer)
Can you change your style of teaching to fit my kid? (Done last summer)
Can my kid get special treatment?"
Who's the bully that Huberdeau is supposed to "confront" without Walsh?
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 03:34 PM   #10024
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
They would have to be insane to agree to mutually terminate one of the biggest contracts in the league. I guess if the player was really upstanding and felt like he wasn't living up to it, he could choose to leave all the money at the table. The agent would have to give up his huge commissions too. I don't think any player has ever done that although Lucic did say he considered hanging up his skates early when he was depressed in Edm/Cgy.
Maybe Huberdeau would not terminate the whole contract, but maybe he would agree to have it reworked and brought down by a couple of million dollars a year or a couple of years to help facilitate a trade.

Money is great but he has lots and if it means not being happy he might decide that it is worth it to mutually adjust the contract so that he gets his money, the Flames retain control of an asset value, and his contract is structured to make it easier to move him.

Depends upon if the CBA allows such an action to be taken.
Old 11-08-2023, 03:45 PM   #10025
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutout View Post
Maybe Huberdeau would not terminate the whole contract, but maybe he would agree to have it reworked and brought down by a couple of million dollars a year or a couple of years to help facilitate a trade.

Money is great but he has lots and if it means not being happy he might decide that it is worth it to mutually adjust the contract so that he gets his money, the Flames retain control of an asset value, and his contract is structured to make it easier to move him.

Depends upon if the CBA allows such an action to be taken.
Didn’t Turek do that back in the day?
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 03:51 PM   #10026
Number 39
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I don't believe thats possible anymore under the CBA. I seem to remember Longo having an issue w his contract and that wasnt an option.
Number 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Number 39 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2023, 03:52 PM   #10027
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post

Yes, I believe Turek took the full amount of his contract and spread it out over x number of seasons (same money overall, but longer term), so they could sign Kiprusoff IIRC
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2023, 03:53 PM   #10028
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah you can't do that anymore.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2023, 03:59 PM   #10029
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Not allowed to do it any more now. Contracts can't be renegotiated.

Turek renegotiated for less yearly money, but for an extra year of term. He ended up going back to Europe before the extra term kicked in though.
Old 11-08-2023, 05:00 PM   #10030
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroCop View Post
Sorry I wasn’t referring to the Hurricanes but rather people from there and reputation he left behind. Off ice stuff though I’m sure the Canes were aware of. I’m sure if you asked around there’d be a story or 2.
I have a couple of "insiders" to talk to regarding the 'Canes.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 05:12 PM   #10031
CroCop
Scoring Winger

Exp:

^Giver

Last edited by CroCop; 11-09-2023 at 08:27 AM.
CroCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 05:23 PM   #10032
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Nothing wrong with calling in your agent. He's your advocate and he's paid well.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2023, 05:39 PM   #10033
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They would have to be insane to agree to mutually terminate one of the biggest contracts in the league. I guess if the player was really upstanding and felt like he wasn't living up to it, he could choose to leave all the money at the table. The agent would have to give up his huge commissions too. I don't think any player has ever done that although Lucic did say he considered hanging up his skates early when he was depressed in Edm/Cgy.
Kovalchuk walked away at the peak pay point of a massive contract. It's not really comparable though because he reportedly got a dump truck full of money to play in the KHL.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 06:27 PM   #10034
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder if the mandate in Buffalo this season is playoffs or bust? I think Lindholm would be a good fit.

To BUF: Lindholm, Gilbert
To CGY: 1st, Krebs, Rosen or Ostlund
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 06:35 PM   #10035
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
I wonder if the mandate in Buffalo this season is playoffs or bust? I think Lindholm would be a good fit.

To BUF: Lindholm, Gilbert
To CGY: 1st, Krebs, Rosen or Ostlund
That's practically what they got for Eichel. I suggested Lindholm for their 13th OA in the summer and people said they wouldn't be interested.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 06:48 PM   #10036
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I reached out to my Flames source, he says he has heard nothing about Huberdeau asking for a trade, the player loves the team and the city and wants to make it work here.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 06:55 PM   #10037
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I reached out to my Flames source, he says he has heard nothing about Huberdeau asking for a trade, the player loves the team and the city and wants to make it work here.
And he must realistically understand that trading him would be next to impossible. Would he really want to add on everybody knowing he requested a trade on top of his struggles already?

I really don’t blame players for not wanting to play in a Canadian market one bit.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 07:04 PM   #10038
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
What I would expect an offer from Washington to look like would be a couple of high end prospects that have lost a bit of their shine. Basically #6 and #7 in their system, Mantha to balance salaries and a first in 2025, where they have three 2nds that same year.

Anthony Mantha, Hendrix Lapierre (21 year old centre 0.5PPG in the AHL), Ryan Chesley (RD 2nd year NCAA) and 2025 1st. Not overwhelming, but some value. It would be great to get a Cristall or something, but I don't see it.
That is a lot of magic beans. Switch out Lapierre with Connor McMichael and it gets intriguing.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 09:39 PM   #10039
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Columbus makes so much sense for the flames and the blue jackets if they do trade Lindholm. It’s a fit for several reasons:

-there is guaranteed chemistry for Lindholm with Gaudreau and they are struggling to get him going just like the flames are with Huberdeau.
-The blue jackets have made a lot of moves in the last year to try and be competitive sooner and right now, it’s not working. They need an impact forward.
-One of their biggest needs is a center. Especially a two-way center.
-They have a skilled young center in Johnson that could be the centrepiece of the trade - the Jackets management is obviously a little frustrated with this player at the moment.
-Johnson’s skill set may be too similar but less impressive than Fantilly. It may be a better fit to have a two-way center like Lindholm instead.

There is potential to make this trade without the Jackets needing to offer up their first round pick that, right now, looks like it could be a high pick this year. The trade could involve a 2nd round pick that is conditional.

What about this:

To flames:
Kent Johnson
Conditional 2024 2nd round pick (becomes a first round pick if the jackets make the playoffs this year)
2024 4th round pick

To Blue jackets:
Elias Lindholm (extended)
Daniel Vladar (40% retained)

For the flames, they get a young center with high potential. Even if the conditional pick remains a 2nd round pick (very likely)… it could end up being a high second round pick in the range of 35th to 45th overall.

The flames also make room for Wolf to join the big club to be a tandem with Markstrom for the next 2 years before taking the starting position.

Flames get younger and more dynamic while shedding cap space. Blue jackets address a big need positionally and a player that has a good shot to get Gaudreau going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2023, 09:57 PM   #10040
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just for fun, to add to my trade proposal above…

The trade could be expanded if you want to turn it into a huge blockbuster by packaging in Hanifin as well…

To Calgary:

Kent Johnson
2024 1st round pick (lottery protected)
2025 3rd round pick (becomes a 2nd round pick if the Blue jackets make the playoffs in 2025 or a 1st round pick if the blue jackets make it to the 3rd round of the playoffs in 2025)
Jake Bean

To Columbus:
Noah Hanifin (30% retained)
Elias Lindholm (extended)
Daniel Vladar (30% retained)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote