Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 06:15 PM   #9981
TOfan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino View Post
Brodie’s drop in play is because of him being asked to switch sides 2 years ago. I have said this before.... compare him to an offensive lineman in football or a switch hitter in baseball... they are always stronger on one side then the other. Blame coaching on this on is my opinion.
Perhaps, I don't think it is as simple as that though. Kent Wilson wrote a piece about Brodie 's decline this year. His drop in play predates him moving to the left side. As always his work well researched.

You could argue lasst year Brodie was hamstrung by Wideman and Engellend. That should have been remedied with the Hamonic acquisition. Instead, he somehow got worse. Despite a coach that played him more than any other D & continued to trot him out on the first PP unit for, what?, 50 games, he got worse. If giving Brodie more ice time than any other D on the team was somehow punitive to his play, this would be the first I have ever heard of such a thing. If GG deserves any criticism here, it's should be for sticking with him for too long.

Brodie was given every benefit of the doubt. And if the only way to get him back to where he was 4 years ago is to put him back with Gio, I question how good he actually is. He was terrible this year.

For the record, I think Brodie is a very good D, but he needs a change in scenery. I suspect he and his wife want to be closer to home.

Last edited by TOfan; 04-12-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:18 PM   #9982
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

[QUOTE=TOfan;6653071]Perhaps, I don't think it is as simple as that though. Kent Wilson wrote a piece about Brodie 's decline this year. His drop in play predates him moving to the left side. As always his work well researched.

You could argue lasst year Brodie was hamstrung by Wideman and Engellend. That should have been remedied with the Hamonic acquisition. Instead, he somehow got worse. Despite a coach that played him more than any other D & continued to trot him out on the first PP unit for, what?, 50 games, he got worse. If giving Brodie more ice time than any other D on the team was somehow punitive to his play, this would be the first I have ever heard of such a thing. If GG deserves any criticism here, it's should be for sticking with him for too long.

Brodie was given every benefit of the doubt. And if the only way to get him back to where he was 4 years ago, I question how good he actually is. He was terrible this year.

For the record, I think Brodie is a very good D, but he needs a change in scenery. I suspect he and his wife want to be closer to home.[/QUOT

Sorry I should have said 3 years as that’s when Dougie arrived.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:55 PM   #9983
hansmoleman
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I still think we need to trade for Bouma
Old 04-12-2018, 08:58 PM   #9984
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansmoleman View Post
Bring back Davey jnes while we are at it?
Old 04-12-2018, 08:58 PM   #9985
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Old 04-12-2018, 09:45 PM   #9986
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Old 04-12-2018, 09:57 PM   #9987
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino View Post
Brodie’s drop in play is because of him being asked to switch sides 2 years ago. I have said this before.... compare him to an offensive lineman in football or a switch hitter in baseball... they are always stronger on one side then the other. Blame coaching on this on is my opinion.
I was having a discussion about this with my brother and he really thinks Brodie passes more accurately on his backhand.

I agree that he is better on the left side as I think it forces him to skate with the puck offensively or use the middle more to breakout and I also think he just defends better on the right side (if some one tries to beat him wide along the boards on the right, his top hand is his right hand and he doesn't have to reach as far to poke pucks - if that makes sense). On the left side, I saw him reaching across his body and losing all power when guys would skate down the left wall.

He was just so dynamic on the left side. I don't buy the idea he wants a change of scenery but it's all speculation.

It's just a matter of maximizing the players with better lineup decisions IMO.

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 04-12-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:19 PM   #9988
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I was having a discussion about this with my brother and he really thinks Brodie passes more accurately on his backhand.
Nobody passes better/more accurately on their backhand than forehand. If he passed better on his backhand then he should be right hand shot.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourbestfriend For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2018, 02:40 AM   #9989
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I disagree, he is not any slower than Brodie and seems to be better positionally and playing his man.
I noticed his skating is miles better than his first camp but he's still a tad behind Brodie for foot speed, your spot on for position play and he actually hits fairly hard to take out the man.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:45 AM   #9990
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend View Post
Nobody passes better/more accurately on their backhand than forehand. If he passed better on his backhand then he should be right hand shot.
So be it then, get him a R stick tomorrow because I would bet 8 of 10 great stretch passes in Brodies career have been on the backhand.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:05 AM   #9991
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
How do you know?
Because it would be stupid, like on the level of Chiarelli stupid.

Hamilton is 6'6,220lbs, "skates like a deer" and had 17 friken goals last year, Whoever trades a defenseman like Hamilton and doesn't get back a young top 20 forward should be drawn and quartered.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2018, 03:53 AM   #9992
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I agree, I find this argument so weird. Backhand is... well backhand. Sure, he might have an awesome backhand pass compared to others, but better than his forehand? It seems really backward to me. I've played tennis (on high amateur level) and hockey (beer league) and it simply doesn't equate for me. Maybe he's just very very special.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dajazz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2018, 06:24 AM   #9993
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Brodie passes just as accurately on his backhand while being more deceptive and elusive in how he protects the puck.(this is natural - backhand are tougher to read for opponents)

He also gets better shots off on his forehand on his off wing that he does on his strong wing due to receiving pucks out of the cycle closer to the middle rather than the mind numbing wrister-from-the-wall position.

Even last year I would bet half his points came when he snuck on over to the right side of the ice. Probably 75% of his effective plays came from that side.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2018, 06:31 AM   #9994
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Brodie passes just as accurately on his backhand while being more deceptive and elusive in how he protects the puck.(this is natural - backhand are tougher to read for opponents)

He also gets better shots off on his forehand on his off wing that he does on his strong wing due to receiving pucks out of the cycle closer to the middle rather than the mind numbing wrister-from-the-wall position.

Even last year I would bet half his points came when he snuck on over to the right side of the ice. Probably 75% of his effective plays came from that side.
This is so right. If we can get a coach who'll use his players effectively, it could bring us a lot of success. Even Brouwer could be useful if given the right opportunities.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:52 AM   #9995
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
I think there are some players who are more comfortable on their backhand. Personally I am. You can protect the puck better as you can extend your stick further. Also a bit easier to lob softer sauce passes due to the leverage difference. Also being on your off wing in your own zone opens up options for bank passes off the boards around the opposition up to a winger.

It makes sense that a player would prefer to be on their backhand side. However, it doesn’t mean they are unable to play the other side. I think Brodie’s problems are deeper than this.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:37 AM   #9996
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I However, it doesn’t mean they are unable to play the other side.
And he isn't. He played left in both our playoff runs and in both of them was our best Dman. He can play the left - but he shouldn't as it affects his overall confidence. He is just way streakier on the left where he is at the mercy of bounces rather than dictating the game naturally.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 04-13-2018, 10:14 AM   #9997
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Brodie played on the left side in Abbotsford, Barrie and Saginaw. It wasn't until he came to Calgary that he shifted to the right side regularly. Yes he did play on the right side in Abbotsford occasional depending on who was in or out.

I think before we shoot the coaching staff we should maybe consider that the request to play strong side is from Brodie and the years on his weak side were against his will. That is after all a possibility.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:29 AM   #9998
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, I love Brodie and don’t know want to think of him. He’s kind of like Bennett as a defenseman. Can be a #1D and then all of a sudden play like he’s competing for the 3rd pairing spot. You don’t know what to expect of him.

At this point I just want to hold on to him for next season and move him once:

1) Kulak can manage to be our #4. A short term deal (1-2 years) LHD UFA could be signed too (in the 2019 offseason)
2) Valimaki or Kylington really compete for a spot on the lineup.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:50 AM   #9999
TOfan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
Brodie played on the left side in Abbotsford, Barrie and Saginaw. It wasn't until he came to Calgary that he shifted to the right side regularly. Yes he did play on the right side in Abbotsford occasional depending on who was in or out.

I think before we shoot the coaching staff we should maybe consider that the request to play strong side is from Brodie and the years on his weak side were against his will. That is after all a possibility.
Great post.

I am mystified by some/most fans on this forum who seem to be more than eager to blame GG for Brodie's play....on what planet does this make sense??
Old 04-13-2018, 11:08 AM   #10000
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Grab a hockey stick and a puck. See how hard you can shoot a puck on your back hand, then do the same thing on your forehand.
It boggles my mind how people think that Brodie or any player can pass just as accurate and hard on their backhand as their forehand. A good break out requires a great first pass which needs to be both hard and accurate, you just can’t do that as well on your backhand.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/10...ded-defensemen
Babcock sums it up pretty good
The Following User Says Thank You to yourbestfriend For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread