Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2023, 02:44 PM   #9981
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I've run into two people this week (unfortunately one of them a company higher up) who are heavily pro-Russian. And when I questioned them on it, they turn out to be very right wing.

How is this stupidity even happening?

When did Texas-style conservative right wing people become Pro-Putin, Pro-KGB, Pro-Stalin, Pro-Soviet, Pro-Bring back the Supreme Soviet structure, wanks?
I dont even really think theres a 'wing' or side of the Political spectrum that would accurately encapsulate a 'Pro-Russian' stance.

I'm probably one of the least militant people around, but I cannot fathom a line of reasoning that would be able to convince me that a Nation invading another Sovereign State for no real, credible reason is anything but wrong.

Compound that with the reprehensible actions being conducted by the troops of that Nation and I cant even imagine what it would take to sway my thoughts or opinions to something even remotely resembling "It isnt that bad" much less in terms of actual support.

It is that bad. Under no circumstances should this be tolerated.

When America invades someplace they had the goddamned common courtesy to at least invent some sort of flimsy premise to at least pretend that they had some sort of justifiable reason.

Not just rolling in the tanks and then a few weeks later proclaiming that their brother-in-law's nephew's dog's fortune teller said there were like Nazis there or something maybe.

Even just speaking to local people of Russian descent the response I get almost unanimously is that they think this is batcrap nuts and just another indication of Russian Government/Oligarchy completely out of touch and out of control.

"We left for a reason."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 03:04 PM   #9982
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

JohnnyB, mind if I ask you where you found the Seymour Hersh substack link so quickly, considering the blog has only existed for less than a day and wouldn't even be crawled (10 hours as of this posting), Seymour Hersh does not have a Twitter account and the only place the link appeared at first was on RT, TASS, less then 3 hours from his original post (around the same time you posted the link).

US behind Nord Stream sabotage – legendary NYT journalisthttps://www.rt.com › World news
8 hours ago

Unverified Account of Renowned Journalist Says US-Planted ...https://sputniknews.com › News
8 hours ago

It was not on anyone's radar until this morning and can be validated by the wayback machine. There was no way for him to post an article so quickly from an unknown space to be out so quickly within 3 hours unless certain sources were aware of it coming out to be able to broadcast it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20230000....substack.com/

Was it from Twitter / Matt Taibbi (or Aaron Mate which I found slightly earlier than Taibbi)? Or one of the Russian twitter bots? This is the earliest source I have found on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1623294503288291329

It was also posted on a few pro-russia and conspiracy subreddits at the same time by Russian bots, nowhere near front page or any more reputable. You really had to know it existed to find it at first.

Was it from the Times UK? That's the only western source that reported on it in the first few hours but later than Russian sources.

Just want to see how you got this news so quickly, genuinely curious.

Last edited by Firebot; 02-08-2023 at 03:15 PM.
Firebot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 03:11 PM   #9983
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Because the democrats are supporting ukraine?
From an American point of view, support of a proxy war against a Russian Dictator who dreams of a reconstructed Soviet Empire is the absolute wet-dream of every Republican.

The people I've run into are Canadian. None of it makes sense.

And yes, I know it all comes down to media bubbles, but the right-wing media bubble loves Communism and everything Communist. Just sayin'.
Old 02-08-2023, 03:20 PM   #9984
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
From an American point of view, support of a proxy war against a Russian Dictator who dreams of a reconstructed Soviet Empire is the absolute wet-dream of every Republican.

The people I've run into are Canadian. None of it makes sense.

And yes, I know it all comes down to media bubbles, but the right-wing media bubble loves Communism and everything Communist. Just sayin'.
I think it's because they wish they lived under an authoritarian traditional Christian regime and they think that's what Russia currently is. So they cheer for Russia.

Throwing the gays, jews, catholics, blacks, non-Christians off rooftops would be their dream.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 03:22 PM   #9985
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've run into two people this week (unfortunately one of them a company higher up) who are heavily pro-Russian. And when I questioned them on it, they turn out to be very right wing.

When did Texas-style conservative right wing people become Pro-Putin, Pro-KGB, Pro-Stalin, Pro-Soviet, Pro-Bring back the Supreme Soviet structure, wanks?
The right wing media ecosystem is an echo of Russian state media. Fox and RT have some kind of symbiotic relationship. If RT covers and amplifies something, you can be assured that Fox will run coverage, especially on the opinion side of their business.

The trucker convoy here was covered extensively by RT before Fox picked up on it. It's part of the authoritarian amplification system they have honed in the last decade.

Anyone who consumes a ton of right wing media is slowly being transformed. You can see it in the Republican polling on support of Ukraine over the last year. Staunchly supportive has turned soft as the drumbeat of nakedly pro-Russia Tucker and whoever drones on.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 03:32 PM   #9986
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

The right-wing love for Russia makes absolutely no sense from a traditional conservative perspective.

Even the neocons (Bush Jr era) weren't crazy pro Russian fanatics, in fact quite the opposite. Mitt Romney for example is one of the biggest cynics of Russia well before Russia shed it's cloak that suddenly shocked the west.

I don't understand what this Trump era Republican Qanon era created, I feel they grift for the sake of grifting. Why is Tucker Carlson so pro-Russia?

It literally doesn't make sense, considering how Russia / Soviet Union was a natural enemy / rival of the US in the past 100 years. This is not a 'hate everything Democrats' thing either, as it was popular to be pro-Russia within Republican ranks during the Trump era

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...ussia-fox-news

It utterly baffles me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 03:59 PM   #9987
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have to keep in mind that russian disinformation has been extremely active in the western world for a number of years. And surprise surprise, they've mostly targeted right wingers because Russia would love to transform western democracies into dictatorships. They've gotten surprisingly close

Russia even got trump to basically ditch nato, at which point you'd just have dictators carving up the map with new borders. Scary!

Last edited by calumniate; 02-08-2023 at 04:06 PM.
calumniate is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 04:13 PM   #9988
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Have to keep in mind that russian disinformation has been extremely active in the western world for a number of years. And surprise surprise, they've mostly targeted right wingers because Russia would love to transform western democracies into dictatorships. They've gotten surprisingly close

Russia even got trump to basically ditch nato, at which point you'd just have dictators carving up the map with new borders. Scary!
Disturbingly close...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 04:18 PM   #9989
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
JohnnyB, mind if I ask you where you found the Seymour Hersh substack link so quickly, considering the blog has only existed for less than a day and wouldn't even be crawled (10 hours as of this posting), Seymour Hersh does not have a Twitter account and the only place the link appeared at first was on RT, TASS, less then 3 hours from his original post (around the same time you posted the link).

US behind Nord Stream sabotage – legendary NYT journalisthttps://www.rt.com › World news
8 hours ago

Unverified Account of Renowned Journalist Says US-Planted ...https://sputniknews.com › News
8 hours ago

It was not on anyone's radar until this morning and can be validated by the wayback machine. There was no way for him to post an article so quickly from an unknown space to be out so quickly within 3 hours unless certain sources were aware of it coming out to be able to broadcast it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20230000....substack.com/

Was it from Twitter / Matt Taibbi (or Aaron Mate which I found slightly earlier than Taibbi)? Or one of the Russian twitter bots? This is the earliest source I have found on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1623294503288291329

It was also posted on a few pro-russia and conspiracy subreddits at the same time by Russian bots, nowhere near front page or any more reputable. You really had to know it existed to find it at first.

Was it from the Times UK? That's the only western source that reported on it in the first few hours but later than Russian sources.

Just want to see how you got this news so quickly, genuinely curious.
It was shared in a social chat associated with an academic/research group I'm in. Hardly a bunch of right-wingers, or a bunch of supporters of the Russian invasion. It was shared with the context of "This will be interesting". Where it was originally sourced, I don't know. It was shared as a direct link.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 08:14 PM   #9990
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Russia's current brand of, and probably all, fascist ideology fundamentally needs an outgroup that it can blame for all of society's woes on and that the masses can hate. This frees them from actually having to offer anything in the way of improvements to society.

Southern ultra-right wing regressives, with their pre-existing racial and religious prejudices, were easy targets to coop into this type of thinking. To paraphrase some of the Trump electorate sentiment from the past, "he says it like it is, and hurts the right people"

Last edited by FlameOn; 02-08-2023 at 08:17 PM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 09:37 PM   #9991
IGGYRULES
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
It was shared in a social chat associated with an academic/research group I'm in. Hardly a bunch of right-wingers, or a bunch of supporters of the Russian invasion. It was shared with the context of "This will be interesting". Where it was originally sourced, I don't know. It was shared as a direct link.
Facebook
IGGYRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IGGYRULES For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 10:29 PM   #9992
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGGYRULES View Post
Facebook
I'm not that old.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 12:00 AM   #9993
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
The right-wing love for Russia makes absolutely no sense from a traditional conservative perspective.

Even the neocons (Bush Jr era) weren't crazy pro Russian fanatics, in fact quite the opposite. Mitt Romney for example is one of the biggest cynics of Russia well before Russia shed it's cloak that suddenly shocked the west.

I don't understand what this Trump era Republican Qanon era created, I feel they grift for the sake of grifting. Why is Tucker Carlson so pro-Russia?

It literally doesn't make sense, considering how Russia / Soviet Union was a natural enemy / rival of the US in the past 100 years. This is not a 'hate everything Democrats' thing either, as it was popular to be pro-Russia within Republican ranks during the Trump era

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...ussia-fox-news

It utterly baffles me.
The political spectrum is more of a circle than a line. You end up with extremists sharing beliefs, regardless of whether they identify as left or right.

The whole left/right divide is pretty meaningless anyways and amounts to not a whole lot more than fashion. What people should be looking at is methods and how they treat other humans.

You also have a lot of cross over in the "right" wing and the Putin supporters when it comes to conspiracy theories. Putin's ethos is based on Western conspiracies to take down his righteous government, who stands more or less alone fighting the corrupt West. Not too different than the conspiracy theorists of the west.

Putin is also very far from anything left wing. Left wing, by definition, should be progressive and against established institutions. Putin is very anti gay, trans, immigrant, religious minorities, etc.. And does not care about the welfare of those he deems to be his opponents. He is all about strengthening the existing institutions in Russia and crushing any opposition.

Yes, Putin's government, in the distant political past, was derived from Leninist and Marxist thought. That has almost nothing to do with what their preaching now. Putin is promoting an ethically pure and very conservative society. He's also allowing capitalists to function, as long as they totally bend to his will. If that's not fascism, what is?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 12:11 AM   #9994
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:

Because the QAnon/far right movement came right out of Russia to influence their 2016 election and beyond?

Last edited by jayswin; 02-09-2023 at 12:14 AM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 12:12 AM   #9995
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I think it's because they wish they lived under an authoritarian traditional Christian regime and they think that's what Russia currently is. So they cheer for Russia.

Throwing the gays, jews, catholics, blacks, non-Christians off rooftops would be their dream.
Simpler than that. Russia initiated much of the absurd, uneducated crap you see from the far right in the US and other western countries. Of course they're feeding pro Russian propaganda onto the rubes.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2023, 08:16 AM   #9996
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
That's fair, and sorry if it felt like I was being aggressive in my prior posts. I see Hersh's article as an anti-US and pro-russian propaganda piece and pure fabrication, and the timing of the article and how it propagated right away within Russian sources was way too timely to be coincidental. I suspect it was shared to your group via a Russian source which is why I was asking.

I do think people severely underestimate just how much of influence Russia has on the information being fed to us, and a lot of this propaganda is relayed by Russian sympathizers, grifters and extremists, with far too many in high political and influential positions.

Now it seems that Elon Musk has stopped Starlink use for Ukraine drones claiming they are offensive weapons. Coincidentally this announcement to blind Ukraine and hampering use of one of their best reconnaissance tools happens just as Russia is poised to start a brand new large offensive.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aer...nt-2023-02-09/

On top of it, my Twitter account got suspended out of the blue, with zero signs that it got hacked. I haven't tweeted or liked anything in years. All I use it for is viewing news on the war, and I did a deep search on how the Hersh article came out yesterday. Guess I dug too deep or something for Musk's liking?
Old 02-09-2023, 08:49 AM   #9997
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coming up on the one year anniversary of the war, pretty good summary of Russia's massive miscalculations leading to the Ukraine invasion and their causes
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2023, 09:01 AM   #9998
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Russia had a bad time over the last few days outside Vuhledar.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1623649601717772288
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2023, 09:20 AM   #9999
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The political spectrum is more of a circle than a line. You end up with extremists sharing beliefs, regardless of whether they identify as left or right.
Case and point (when the crazies belief all end up aligning). Aaron Mate with Tucker Carlson on Fox. Note that Aaron Mate was the very first tweet that promoted the Hersh story.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1623673187509608449

Also Hersh's article was already debunked by readily available flight and naval tracking info on September 26 not matching article events (which of course it wouldn't match as it's a complete fabrication)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1623459664334659585

Last edited by Firebot; 02-09-2023 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-09-2023, 10:45 AM   #10000
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Actually I think it's just as easy as aim the pointy end toward the enemy. Pretty good general rule of war going back probably 10,000 years.
I’m not sure if this is a shot at me maybe thinking it’s simpler than it is or not. But obviously it’s more complicated than that, especially with what I’m sure are pretty sophisticated targeting systems.

What I think might be getting underestimated is the peoples ability to adapt quickly to the systems. They seemed to figure out the Javelins pretty fast. I think an older guard of military officials and commentators under-appreciate the video-game generation’s adaptability to computer controls and are locked into the regimented idea of how long it takes them to fully accredit someone as a tank operator in the US military vs how long it takes a person to learn how to use this machine.

Tags
atrocity , badass zelensky , lying russians , mad man , sneaky fn russian , war sucks