Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2020, 07:26 PM   #981
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I believe that’s a poorly simplistic view, and not very accurate.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:28 PM   #982
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
I believe that’s a poorly simplistic view, and not very accurate.
Pretty entertaining mental gymnastics that's for sure
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2020, 08:11 PM   #983
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Because for many, their right-wing worldview is fundamentally tied to a belief that people get what they deserve. Because they believe in God, and God is just, so the world cannot be unfair. Because if rich people didn't earn their wealth, and poor people didn't earn their poverty, then wealth should be redistributed. And if people get what they deserve, then the victims of police brutality must have caused it or deserve it. That's why you see right wingers jumping through hoops to defend police and blame victims.

racism, mostly racism.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:33 PM   #984
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As a self-identifying liberal, can we stop asserting that the Right=racism? There’s plenty of reasons why someone might support the standard ‘Law and Order’ narrative. While I’m confident most of which are wrong, ignorant, or based on poor data, shouting ‘Racist!’ And pointing the finger at a conservative is not going to benefit or accomplish anything.

Even if a policy was rooted in racism or disproportionally effected a minority group, do you really think your run-of-the-mill right wing Canadians would support it out of sheer racism? Or is it possible the spin they have been given, or the data they have been provided, or the logic they have used, Etc etc etc make them believe said policies are for the best? Then you can have a rational discussion or heated debate about the topics at hand. Who knows, maybe someone sees another’s point of view or learns a little bit.

But honest to god, just declaring an entire ‘side’ of the political spectrum as racists is such a bad look for us.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:39 AM   #985
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah most people support policies that #### over other people because of classism, not racism.

Of course, classism and racism are often tied together, but motivation is likely more selfish than hateful. People are just self-absorbed dicks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2020, 09:03 AM   #986
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

If I threatened to kill someone while working at my job, I would be shown the door immediately. But the most this power tripping dbag might face is a short paid suspension or "sensitivity training". This is why so many people hate cops now, zero repercussions for being terrible at their job
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2020, 09:47 AM   #987
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going to be surprising but I have little problem with what the police officer did in this situation. Actually my bigger issue is that CPS was so quick to chime in on this when they rarely if ever address the big issues.

I saw a cyclist blow through a stop sign, at night, without lights, dressed in black clothing with nothing reflective. I almost hit him. When I pulled up to him I let him know that "is a good way to get hit". I wasn't threatening him, I was warning him. This is what the officer did.

Getting out of your car to remove something from the back of your cab while the police have you pulled over is a good way to get shot. Certainly increases your chances from 0.00000000000001 to far far higher.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2020, 09:52 AM   #988
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yeah, it's a tough one, and really it's just tone deaf by the cop to say it with everything happening right now. But to me this seemed more like a poorly worded suggestion than a threat.

If the guy opened his trunk and the officer pulled his gun and suggested he may get shot, then it's a threat. But to just stand there and say 'that's a good way to get shot' isn't a threat, imo. If he had just said 'you do not open up your trunk when you're pulled over by an officer, we sometimes have to take physical action or even draw firearms in that scenario' really sternly then it's okay, but he worded it really bluntly, and the media will gladly turn that into a mountain with the climate right now.

Last edited by jayswin; 08-31-2020 at 09:55 AM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2020, 10:31 AM   #989
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
If I threatened to kill someone while working at my job, I would be shown the door immediately. But the most this power tripping dbag might face is a short paid suspension or "sensitivity training". This is why so many people hate cops now, zero repercussions for being terrible at their job
I would not call that threatening to kill somebody.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:34 AM   #990
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a bit over the top.
Quote:
“I was scared, super scared. Now every time I see a cop I’m so scared and even talking a bit about it now I get shaky,” he said.
Uh huh.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2020, 10:42 AM   #991
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've been harassed by the cops several times. One threatened to "take me for a long ride and beat the #### out of me" that is basically a verbatim quote.

Like Hemi-Cuda says, there are no repercussions and no recourse, sure you can file a complaint but we all know how that's going to turn out.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:15 PM   #992
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ since you opened the door, you may as well tell more of the story.

my interactions with the police have been about as positive as can be expected in the situation where i was breaking a law, like speeding. Twice I have been given a warning, and in the last ticket my wife got, the cop knocked the ticket down by lowering the speed she was driving.

to me, i beleive the easiest route is compliance, and then deal with the issue once everyone is calm
Old 08-31-2020, 12:17 PM   #993
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ since you opened the door, you may as well tell more of the story.

my interactions with the police have been about as positive as can be expected in the situation where i was breaking a law, like speeding. Twice I have been given a warning, and in the last ticket my wife got, the cop knocked the ticket down by lowering the speed she was driving.

to me, i beleive the easiest route is compliance, and then deal with the issue once everyone is calm
Agreed something is missing.

All my dealings with Police in North America has been reasonable, sometimes stressful, but reasonable.

Now Eastern Europe, those guys are #######s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
I've been harassed by the cops several times. One threatened to "take me for a long ride and beat the #### out of me" that is basically a verbatim quote.

Like Hemi-Cuda says, there are no repercussions and no recourse, sure you can file a complaint but we all know how that's going to turn out.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:24 PM   #994
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to have plenty of issues with the law from my teens into early 20's. I realize now I was the problem getting into trouble, arguing with them, playing dumb, etc. My dealings as a more mature adult have been pretty positive as when they pull me over and ask if I know why I'm being pulled over I'm polite and fess up to speeding and they appreciate that as several times it's led to them writing me up for a lower fine than what I was actually clocked at. When these officers pull you over they don't know who you are or what you are capable of so if they tell you to stay in your car you best listen to them for the best outcome for everyone involved.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:32 PM   #995
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
ask if I know why I'm being pulled over I'm polite and fess up to speeding
Don't do this. Never confess to a cop lol. You don't know what they have on you, how enforceable it is, or that they won't already let you go with a warning. You could have been stopped for a burnt out taillight and are now going to get a speeding ticket to go along with it.

Be polite, but respect your own rights.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:02 PM   #996
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Don't do this. Never confess to a cop lol. You don't know what they have on you, how enforceable it is, or that they won't already let you go with a warning. You could have been stopped for a burnt out taillight and are now going to get a speeding ticket to go along with it.

LOL I'm fine thanks. I'm pretty law abiding these days and have nothing to hide. Once you are getting pulled over you are getting a ticket regardless and they aren't going to write you up for speeding if they didn't clock you.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:16 PM   #997
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post

Yeah, isnt that the General Rule? "Dont speak to the Police"

I know whenever I deal with the Police I politely but firmly tell them that I am a Lawyer and I know my rights.

*I am not a lawyer and my knowledge of my own rights is debatable

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2020, 01:57 PM   #998
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I used to have plenty of issues with the law from my teens into early 20's. I realize now I was the problem getting into trouble, arguing with them, playing dumb, etc. My dealings as a more mature adult have been pretty positive as when they pull me over and ask if I know why I'm being pulled over I'm polite and fess up to speeding and they appreciate that as several times it's led to them writing me up for a lower fine than what I was actually clocked at. When these officers pull you over they don't know who you are or what you are capable of so if they tell you to stay in your car you best listen to them for the best outcome for everyone involved.
Don’t kid yourself, they’re giving you the lower fine in the hopes that you won’t fight the charge. It’s something I’ve always had an issue with the police doing, when they pull someone over for doing 20 over the limit they should give them the fine for that or if it’s not a big enough deal to warrant doing so then they shouldn’t even be stopping you at all. We should never condone the police falsifying facts.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 02:15 PM   #999
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Don’t kid yourself, they’re giving you the lower fine in the hopes that you won’t fight the charge. It’s something I’ve always had an issue with the police doing, when they pull someone over for doing 20 over the limit they should give them the fine for that or if it’s not a big enough deal to warrant doing so then they shouldn’t even be stopping you at all. We should never condone the police falsifying facts.
They are measured on quantity of tickets not the value of those tickets, IIRC.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 02:17 PM   #1000
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
They are measured on quantity of tickets not the value of those tickets, IIRC.
Are you referring to their quotas? I’m sorry I don’t understand what part of my post you’re responding to here.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote