Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 09:58 PM   #981
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I like Windows Defender from Microsoft actually, they went out and bought a good one and built off that one.

I usually use that one and then AdAware and sometimes SpyBot. Usually two is a good idea.

And use Firefox as a browser

Windows defender may seem like its good, but it still doesn't stop 60% of the most common spyware.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:55 AM   #982
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSpooge View Post
Windows defender may seem like its good, but it still doesn't stop 60% of the most common spyware.
I haven't checked the stats lately, but my rule of thumb is that these will miss 20% - 30%. I'll run different ones every so often. I dispise programs that try to run in the background all the time - so called "active protection" I've found to be a system performance drain and rarely catches anything.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 06-11-2007, 03:51 PM   #983
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The most recent reviews I've seen of Windows Defender puts it at much better than 40%, where are you getting those stats cSpooge?

I did notice that AdAware isn't nearly as good as I thought though.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:39 PM   #984
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Hey cool!

I didn't know you could do that.

I do use Firefox...IE sucks...especially IE7. Nothing but problems when I had it on my computer.
One problem with Firefox 2 is that you don't have the option anymore to disable third party tracking cookies. I consider these spyware and I've disabled them on my Firefox browser by following this and I haven't run into any problems. It may not be 100% effective but it helps.

http://www.techlifeweb.com/firefox/2...ookies-in.html
Old 06-11-2007, 05:36 PM   #985
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
One problem with Firefox 2 is that you don't have the option anymore to disable third party tracking cookies. I consider these spyware and I've disabled them on my Firefox browser by following this and I haven't run into any problems. It may not be 100% effective but it helps.

http://www.techlifeweb.com/firefox/2...ookies-in.html
You could install CookieSafe
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 06-11-2007, 06:25 PM   #986
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
You could install CookieSafe
Yeah, I guess, but I'd rather do a one time thing and not be bothered anymore.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:29 PM   #987
Prototype

Exp:

Hasn't been touched so far this year... my appologies if it's been done before that.

I'm having issues with Flash Player. Every site that needs it ask me to update it, but every time I update it, it tells me I have the latest Flash Player available. What am I doing wrong.

PS - I did try and give it permissions to work with my XP SP2 Self Appointed Firewall.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:54 PM   #988
Juventus3
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

anyone know what authorized mac repair/dealers there are in calgary? I can't remember the name of the places I had hoped to go...

thanks.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:01 PM   #989
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventus3 View Post
anyone know what authorized mac repair/dealers there are in calgary? I can't remember the name of the places I had hoped to go...

thanks.

Westworld Computers(On Centre street north) and My Mac Dealer (its downtown some where I do not remember the exact location)
Old 06-20-2007, 02:39 AM   #990
Mr.Slippery
Draft Pick

I'm having a tough time setting up my wireless network. I'm using a linksys WRT54G v 6.0 wireless router. We have three laptops and 1 Desktop. Now the laptops are all wirelessly connected to the internet. The only problem is we can never get all three to work simutanously. One always says limited or no connectivity. I think has something to do with the IP but have no idea how to fix it any help??
Old 06-25-2007, 04:56 PM   #991
FlamesFanInEdm
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

SO, I just barely accidently overwrote my timesheet for last week (has all my jobs i worked on split into hours and such) and stupidly dont have a backup. Is there anyway of getting this back. Is system restore a viable option, does it mess up your computer at all?? I dont have anything from that point on which is critical to keep. This really really sucks lol....any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:07 PM   #992
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanInEdm View Post
SO, I just barely accidently overwrote my timesheet for last week (has all my jobs i worked on split into hours and such) and stupidly dont have a backup. Is there anyway of getting this back. Is system restore a viable option, does it mess up your computer at all?? I dont have anything from that point on which is critical to keep. This really really sucks lol....any help would be appreciated.
If you mean the Windows XP System restore, it doesn't affect data files so no, that won't work. And the fact that you overwrote the file means it probably can't be recovered. If you had deleted it - yes. Overwriting - no.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 06-26-2007, 08:19 PM   #993
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanInEdm View Post
what version of office/excel?

you might try looking for where excel keeps the temporary files, sometimes a version is still there that hasnt been cleared or overwritten.

google excel (your version) temporary file location and have a look there, and make sure that 'show hidden files' is turned on.

i wish i could help you navigate there, but im not at my usual workstation, and it kind of depends what version of office you're using. i think it may be under user/local account/microsoft/temporary internet files or something like that.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...11/OfficeWild/

Last edited by ricosuave; 06-26-2007 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:28 PM   #994
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there any way to look at web page history on Internet Explorer once the history has been deleted?

Last edited by MoneyGuy; 06-26-2007 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:21 PM   #995
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:
Default SATA or IDE Hard Drive?

How can I tell if I have a SATA hard drive or an IDE hard drive?
Old 06-27-2007, 03:30 PM   #996
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

IDE will have pin connectors going across the entire width of it. IDE uses the traditional ribbon type of connector that is about 2.5 inches wide, whereas SATA is less than an inch wide.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:31 PM   #997
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
IDE will have pin connectors going across the entire width of it. IDE uses the traditional ribbon type of connector that is about 2.5 inches wide, whereas SATA is less than an inch wide.
Is there any way to tell without opening the case?
Old 06-27-2007, 03:34 PM   #998
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

You should be able to right click on My Computer, go to Manage, choose the Device Manager, and look at the disk drives.. the names usually give a clue, or worse case it should list the model # of the drive and look up that on Google.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:35 PM   #999
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
Is there any way to tell without opening the case?
Goto:
Start, Control Panel, System, Device Manager, IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, -> then look for a serial ATA controller. This will however, only tell you that your system has a SATA controller, you should still have an IDE drive.

How old is your computer? Where did you buy it?
Old 06-27-2007, 03:35 PM   #1000
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I think you would be able to check in the BIOS. Not sure if there's a way within Windows- I'm at work and don't have admin rights here to try on mine. I usually just open the case.

How old is the drive, and how big is it? (How many gigs?)
Closed Thread