Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2009, 04:06 PM   #81
DESS
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jydk View Post
Lets put things back into perspective, a most likely harmless individual sent a harmless flirtatious text to a girl. No threats were made of any kind. If she said she has a boyfriend and tells him not to text her anymore and he stops, then leave it alone. DESS, I back you 100%. "scary situation" have you lost you mind?
Thanks man. (click link to see how I feel)
DESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:09 PM   #82
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
You are missing the point. It's not about how he got into contact with her that's the problem. Whether it's a text, phone call, showing up at her door step (although that would make the situation worse). It's that he STOLE her private information.

What if he was the mail man and he opened up her cell phone bill and looked at the number and sent her a text? By your apparent logic it's ok, because it's only a text.
For some reason, I don't see thank you buttons right now, so I had to quote you to say thanks.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:10 PM   #83
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jydk View Post
Lets put things back into perspective, a most likely harmless individual sent a harmless flirtatious text to a girl. No threats were made of any kind. If she said she has a boyfriend and tells him not to text her anymore and he stops, then leave it alone. DESS, I back you 100%. "scary situation" have you lost you mind?
Did you even read the posts? The scary situation isn't the sending of a text, and nobody has argued that it is, it's the possibility that the employer is turning a blind eye to employees using customer's personal info for illegal purposes.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #84
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
You are missing the point. It's not about how he got into contact with her that's the problem. Whether it's a text, phone call, showing up at her door step (although that would make the situation worse). It's that he STOLE her private information.

What if he was the mail man and he opened up her cell phone bill and looked at the number and sent her a text? By your apparent logic it's ok, because it's only a text.
Opening someone's mail is a felony. If he wrote the girl a letter it wouldnt be a problem. The cell phone guy probably had to see her number in the context of his job.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:15 PM   #85
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Slightly OT, but is it me or are there alot of women out there claiming they are being stalked?
A co-worker of mine, who is not really that attractive thinks some guy is stalking her. Like where do women get this from? Too much TV or what?

Talk about inflated ego's........get over yourselves ladies, most guys dont have the time to follow you around.
mikey_the_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikey_the_redneck For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2009, 04:15 PM   #86
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Man, whatever happened to just telling someone to eff off? Seriously, guys can be total chumps, and telling someone that they're a ###### and need to lose some weight, fix their teeth, scrub their acne (insert other random insult) would blow the guy off pretty quick.

Unless he's a total creep and stakes out your house, in which case you call the cops.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #87
DESS
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozer View Post
Logic and rationalization are not the same thing.

This is an excellent example of your logic. You don't consider your phone number to be private, therefore no one's phone number is private, therefore stealing a phone number is not a crime (legality be damned), and on top of that you claim that this girl has no right to feel uncomfortable about it. This "logical" argument is simply based off of your personal opinion of your perception of what happened.

You have every right to your opinion, and I like reading threads you're in (not a backhanded insult), but spewing this garbage about being a slave to logic is too much.
I was referring more to the logic I used in the school teachers thread, exterminate bears thread, ban dogs from Calgary thread and tax commuters from parasite communities thread.

The core of this thread doesn't have as much to do with logic IMO and I actually am finding the guys relying on logic only (ie follow the letter of the law) to be off base on this one.

As others have said, this is about common sense. My sense is telling me this guy did nothing wrong and with the VERY limited information we have, it doesn't look like the logical conclusion of this situation is going to be nuclear holocaust as some of the posters in here seem to think.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #88
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Man, whatever happened to just telling someone to eff off? Seriously, guys can be total chumps, and telling someone that they're a ###### and need to lose some weight, fix their teeth, scrub their acne (insert other random insult) would blow the guy off pretty quick.

Unless he's a total creep and stakes out your house, in which case you call the cops.
but how can she tell if he needs to fix his teeth and scrub his acne if he's wearing a ski mask?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #89
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missdpuck View Post
Opening someone's mail is a felony. If he wrote the girl a letter it wouldnt be a problem. The cell phone guy probably had to see her number in the context of his job.
That's my point. Him taking her phone number without her permission at his job and using it is against the law.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:18 PM   #90
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_the_redneck View Post
Slightly OT, but is it me or are there alot of women out there claiming they are being stalked?
A co-worker of mine, who is not really that attractive thinks some guy is stalking her. Like where do women get this from? Too much TV or what?

Talk about inflated ego's........get over yourselves ladies, most guys dont have the time to follow you around.
I too find that the words "stalker", "creep", and "awkward" are thrown around all too often nowadays by girls who have no idea what they actually mean.

edit: "random" is another word that people are really starting to over-use and it's beginning to get on my nerves.

Last edited by malcolmk14; 03-19-2009 at 04:21 PM.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:19 PM   #91
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
I too find that the words "stalker", "creep", and "awkward" are thrown around all too often nowadays by girls who have no idea what they actually mean.
The most impressive thing is if a girl can use all of those phrases in one coherant sentence without swearing.

Its a hell of a thing.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:19 PM   #92
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
but how can she tell if he needs to fix his teeth and scrub his acne if he's wearing a ski mask?
Bite marks?

hahahahaha
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:20 PM   #93
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
You wouldn't like her. She has two dogs.
For a second I thought you meant 'legs', which would have been appropriate if directing that comment at myself.
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:21 PM   #94
DESS
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozer View Post
Logic and rationalization are not the same thing.

This is an excellent example of your logic. You don't consider your phone number to be private, therefore no one's phone number is private, therefore stealing a phone number is not a crime (legality be damned), and on top of that you claim that this girl has no right to feel uncomfortable about it. This "logical" argument is simply based off of your personal opinion of your perception of what happened.

You have every right to your opinion, and I like reading threads you're in (not a backhanded insult), but spewing this garbage about being a slave to logic is too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The most impressive thing is if a girl can use all of those phrases in one coherant sentence without swearing.

Its a hell of a thing.
But if they throw in a couple of swear words it's HAWT!
Old 03-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #95
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tom Hanks as the cell phone guy, and Meg Ryan as the OP's sister...this has all the makings of a smash hit hollywood romantic comedy.

Without knowing exactly what happened, I think the guy was wrong, and should've just manned up and asked her out in person, but not sure (yet) if he needs to be crucified for it. If he kept harrassing her after she said no thanks, then its a different story, and he should be fired or worse.

Consider though, if the cell phone guy is Legolas from Lord of the Rings (cant remember the actors name) we probably aren't having a conversation about some "creep", but some cute guy that asked her out.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #96
jydk
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Did you even read the posts? The scary situation isn't the sending of a text, and nobody has argued that it is, it's the possibility that the employer is turning a blind eye to employees using customer's personal info for illegal purposes.
Thank you, I read the posts. Have you really though about what happened here? Illegal purposes? When is asking a girl out illegal? Cause that was the purpose right. She said no, end of story. Poor guy got rejected is what happened here. I'm not saying what he did was the way to go about getting a date, but for christ sakes. Turing a blind eye, first of all the employer hasn't done anything wrong yet. I just think this is getting blown way out of proportion.
jydk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #97
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's continued to send her messages. Last night she received one from him asking if she had a camera phone (odd since he should know). It hasn't been 1 or 2, it's been about a dozen.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:24 PM   #98
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_the_redneck View Post

They get this from people who when they hear stories like this immediately tell the girl they should go to the Privacy Commissioner, because the offense is soooo heinous, the authorities must be immediately be notified so that the decent and sane people of the world don't have to come in contact with such filth. They claim that because people over-react and think there are boogeymen behind every bush and nothing is ever considered an innocent mistake anymore.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:25 PM   #99
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He's continued to send her messages. Last night she received one from him asking if she had a camera phone (odd since he should know). It hasn't been 1 or 2, it's been about a dozen.

Yeah, call his manager. This has obviously gotten out of hand.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:26 PM   #100
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, definitely way over the line. Time for some big brother intervention for sure.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy , fiyahd!!! , hey you in the bushes! , not edmonton (no really)