Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2024, 10:14 AM   #81
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I can say first hand that he is

What a dick. He put pen marks all over your shirt.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Titan2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 10:17 AM   #82
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I've heard about some bad interactions with Mike Smith. Both in Calgary and around the league.
Brendan Perlini does a Youtube thing where fans as general questions about being a player in the NHL. There was one recently where he answers questions about what other players were like to play with. He says good things about most of them, but with Mike Smith, he says that he was afraid of him.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:30 AM   #83
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
He used to live a couple of street over from me
Ahh he sold his place? Too bad. I had met him on the ice during their Christmas break a few times. Eberle would do a mini hockey camp for the kids that happened to be out there. He’s a really good dude.

I sat with Rene Borque for a period at a flames game when he was out with a high ankle sprain. Decent enough guy, didn’t chat a ton.

Lanny is Lanny, great guy all around. Not much I can say that hasn’t been said already.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 10:34 AM   #84
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I've heard about some bad interactions with Mike Smith. Both in Calgary and around the league.
Mostly from Oilers defencemen, I assume?
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 10:37 AM   #85
Knut

Exp:

All my interactions have been positive.

Theo - Sat right behind me at a Flames playoff game. My wife knew he was my favorite player growing up and forced me into a conversation. It was great and cordial. Let me take a photo with him that we got framed. That photo is in hiding now.

Met Giordano and Warrener at a meet/greet thing. They were amazing with my then 6 year old kid.

Dwayne Hay came out and played a summer league game with us once. He was known for never scoring in the NHL. He was essentially toying with everyone in summer league. This was not just a bunch of randoms. It was full of ex AHL, WHL and NCAA players. The minimum to play in the league was Midget 1/A. It really showed that the bottom 5% of the NHL is a giant leap up from anyone on the planet.

Played hockey against Zarley Zalapski in a higher end summer league. I tried to muscle him off the puck and he can openered me so hard I flew about 4 ft into the air. Had a laugh after about it.

Adam Pardy was my neighbour for 2 years. He was super kind but quiet. I shovelled his drive way when he was on road trips. He had one of those hot tubs with LED lights, waterfalls and music pumping. Him and David Moss used to party it up until late with some girls from the bar in that thing.

Met Dan Quinn and Mario Lemieux on a flight from LA to Calgary. They had stayed behind for a charity event and were travelling to meet their team for a game in Calgary the next night. I got autographs and on the plane I talked Mario’s ear off. He was super gracious and kind. Gave me about 100 fist bumps as in kept asking for them. I was 10.

Only negative interactions I have had is with high draft picks that never made a dent in the NHL. They were arrogant and would act like you were beneath them. This was playing summer rec hockey or ball hockey. Actively cheered against them doing anything in hockey (one Rhymes with Hattie).
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 10:41 AM   #86
hansmoleman
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Nobody will believe this and I hate to type it, but I met Backlund at Melrose on 17th Ave. It was Christmas Day and he was rude.

I think he maybe didn't want to be recognized in a bar on Christmas and just wanted to be left alone.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:43 AM   #87
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Met Bennett jooris and Johnny at ranchmans once and all were super friendly. Got a picture with Bennett even though he wasn’t technically on the team yet. Johnny and jooris were very nice to chat with. Tkachuk I met at Greta and he came over to sign my friends jersey without being asked. Shook his hand and told him I was a big fan. Seemed very nice
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 10:47 AM   #88
AndyM
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Had the displeasure of sitting behind Mike Smith's kids during the Flames/Oilers series two years ago in Edmonton.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

I'm not here to pick on anyone's children, but screaming "Tkachuk is a p****" all game is something. And his wife didn't bat an eyelash.
AndyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 10:57 AM   #89
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had beers with Risebrough years ago, he was great. Peplinski was at that bar, too, very friendly. Got a nice handshake from Fleury at the Dome once, very polite.

Lanny, of course, just the best. My mother in law worked at a physio clinic. She told him her son in law was a big fan. He pulled out an 8x10 and personalized it to me and did the same thing with a hockey card later on.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 11:07 AM   #90
Toast_Man
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I worked off and on in the bar scene in Calgary from the 2000's to the 2010's and I've met dozens of hockey players. I have 2 standouts:

Dion Phaneuf - An absolute ###### during his time with the Flames. A complete entitled ####### and a pain to deal with.

Joe Colborne - Probably the nicest hockey player I've met. He would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it.
Toast_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 11:11 AM   #91
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I remembered around 2011 or 2012 I was looking to buy tickets at the Eau Claire Cineplex, it was a mid-September afternoon. The place was empty even then, no wonder it needs to be torn down. I saw 2 tall European dudes that both look exactly like each other, they were the Sedins and they were looking up the board to see showtimes. They must have been here to play a pre-season game the next day and were just relaxing after checking in to the hotel.

Anyways, I approached them and told them that I feel bad (in a sarcastic way) for them for losing the Stanley Cup finals not long ago. And they playfully told me that I was supporting the wrong team which couldn't get the job done either a few years earlier (2004).

I don't think camera phones were that popular back then, or I would have gotten a selfie with them....

Last edited by lazypucker; 05-16-2024 at 11:14 AM.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 11:30 AM   #92
Lewis_D
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Not a jerk story but the closest thing I got - I remember my mom telling me that in the 80's she pulled up next to Al MacInnis at a red-light and he was picking his nose.... But I guess no one will ever know whether he was picking or scratching.

Lewis_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 11:43 AM   #93
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I was ~20, I worked at a local furniture store that players came in to semi-regularly, and not long after Phaneuf made the roster he came in with his Mom and aunt to furnish his place here.
His Mom and aunt were kind of obnoxious, and had Phaneuf and myself moving furniture around the store to see what it all looked like together. He was super quiet and seemed pretty embarrassed that they were making a scene. Eventually he got a little whiny, wanting to leave. He never really came off as a jerk though. This was before he really blew up though, so I'm sure his ego exploded after.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 12:08 PM   #94
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Please if you
post big pictures
like that
Can you
tag them
so the page
doesn't stretch out
Other wise we have to
type like All in Good Time
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 12:38 PM   #95
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As a kid it was Fleury, in the 90s, he was not a nice guy in my limited experience. With the caveat since reading his book he was really going through a lot of off ice demons.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 12:57 PM   #96
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Quick story for me. I was about 8 years old when Theo did his first hockey school in Calgary at the Leisure Center in the SE. I had never played organized hockey before, just outdoor rink stuff and ball hockey. I didn't really have the full gear set up, just skates, helmet, gloves, pucks etc for no reason other than it wasn't really needed.
Nice, I went to this hockey school one summer too. That's cool you got to meet him, he never showed up once the entire time I was there ha-ha. It was...bizarre.

I did get to meet him a couple years previously however when I was about 10, and he was actually pretty nice to me. Though for those who had bad experiences with him, you'll be happy to know he offered to sign my sweet Flames Starter jacket I was wearing and I said no (not for dislike reasons, I just loved the jacket and didn't want writing on it).
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 12:58 PM   #97
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny'sDaMan View Post
Housley - An absolute gem. Always stopped to talk with the security staff.
Complete opposite of what i would have expected.
Old 05-16-2024, 01:07 PM   #98
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate the idea of meeting a Flames player in real life.

I'll tell you if I ever met an Oiler I'd spit on their shoe.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 01:32 PM   #99
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I hate the idea of meeting a Flames player in real life.

I'll tell you if I ever met an Oiler I'd spit on their shoe.
It would likely be a dress shoe.
Old 05-16-2024, 01:46 PM   #100
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went to school with one of Phaneuf's former girlfriends, and let's just say that the year before he was drafted, he had an entitled party poy attitude and zero respect for women or their boundaries.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edmonton is no good