Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2023, 02:05 PM   #81
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Every bar I’ve ever been to has had a random wheelchair sitting at the top of a steep staircase. What could go wrong?
Old 03-15-2023, 02:06 PM   #82
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteEbola View Post
OK, what's the plot? I would like to know if an ableist sees this as a type of "assault" on a person or simply property damage. Perhaps this type of action should be met with jail time, is that a fair discussion? Could it be a hate crime?
I guess you should find an ableist to ask.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2023, 02:10 PM   #83
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

How about the dude that directed the wheelchair towards the stairs before Briere actually pushed it over? That dude isn't a saint.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 02:15 PM   #84
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Terrible apologies from both. Even more hilarious is that they are coming from the daily f'ing mail.
Notice how there is no apology directed towards the woman, it's just about his actions and damage control

Claiming it was in opposition to their values was also junk from DB. His kid didn't look at all conflicted about shoving the chair.. so why blow sunshine up ###ses by serving up a contradictory statement to the visual evidence.

Carson's values are pretty clearly demonstrated there. If he wanted to be sincere he could admit that he has some work to do with his son.

The "my kid would never" denial of many parents is a widespread issue in a lot of families and is probably why a lot of ####y behavior like this persists into their adulthood under the radar.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 02:38 PM   #85
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
OK, Fleury is probably a bad example considering the mental health issues.....but anyways, it's just as likely that a poor families' kids might not have as much face time with parents because they're out of the house working 2 jobs just to make ends meet and they can't afford to have a parent stay home and not work unlike a hockey parent....so in that case they're worse off socially and financially.

I'm sure we can all point to anecdotes of rich kid children that had issues or were jerks, but on the whole, having rich millionaire parents is going to be a net positive because it opens the door to so many different opportunities and that just might be the most lukewarm take in the history of the internet.

Oh look, it's backed up by evidence too:
Why Rich Parents Raise Smarter Children
Why do wealthy parents have wealthy children
Study: To succeed in America, it's better to be born rich than smart
I don't understand why you're arguing?
I pointed out that kids of pro athletes may not get a lot of time with that parent, and therefore may suffer from it, even if they're wealthy. That's not a crazy statement, and it doesn't negate the fact that children from poorer households suffer similar situations.
Of course having wealthy parents is a net positive that provides children more opportunities, but I'm not sure where I said it didn't.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2023, 02:40 PM   #86
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If the Briere's are serious about this, they will purchase a new wheelchair of the highest quality for this person. That is awful behavior ! We have all done stupid things in our lives even when we are older than in our 20's. That level of harm, stupidity is bad. You have been caught, your family name is fairly well known publicly and your family has the financial means to make this right.

Be a man and make amends on this issue quietly and properly.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 02:41 PM   #87
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

The other chud in the plaid shirt should also be held accountable.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 02:42 PM   #88
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

The backwards hats, the goofy hair, the immature air about them. These kids scream DB hockey players.
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 02:55 PM   #89
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Comparing pushing a wheelchair down stairs to breaking someone's legs are completely BONKERS. Insane how many likes it got. Not trying to minimize what he did, but this reaction is over the top. People looking for reasons to be outraged.
Old 03-15-2023, 02:56 PM   #90
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
I think it's overblown. He was probably super drunk and did something stupid. Could have done many dumber things like drink and drive, or commit sexual assault.

Buy the person a new wheelchair, apologize, do some sensitivity training and lay off the booze
I'd be surprised if anyone here agreed with you.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 02:59 PM   #91
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I guess you should find an ableist to ask.
I assumed you were, based on your opinions. If you're not an ableist could you still offer some insight into your perspective in this matter?

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 03:00 PM   #92
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Yeah I definitely thought she was in the wheelchair when I read that headline, like damn that's a crazy story.

Seems like a non-story to me. Drunk 20-something does a dumb non-criminal thing and damages someone's property.
You think damaging someone’s property is non-criminal?
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 03:01 PM   #93
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post
Comparing pushing a wheelchair down stairs to breaking someone's legs are completely BONKERS. Insane how many likes it got. Not trying to minimize what he did, but this reaction is over the top. People looking for reasons to be outraged.
Spend a year in a wheelchair out of necessity then get back to us on the importance of a wheelchair to a person and what that can be compared to.

Until then, your perspective doesn't hold much weight. We literally had a wheelchair user in this thread compare it to leg braking in terms of significance.

So who should we believe, you or him/her?
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2023, 03:03 PM   #94
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmmm...looking for something to be outraged?

If the wheelchair belongs to the bar, then yes, it's property damage. But the wheelchair belongs to a live person, she uses it to get around, it's essentially her "legs". Yeah, breaking it feels like breaking her legs because without the wheelchair she can't get around anymore. Is that being outraged? IDK, I think they are, I am, extremely disgusted, a little angry may be. Nobody has said he deserved jail time, now that is outrage.
Old 03-15-2023, 03:06 PM   #95
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

This isn't about boys will be boys. The gender of those involved is irrelevant - its just plain BS behavior from one human to another & BS isn't confined to any particular gender, so maybe drop that. Same with their choice of career.

Chairs are expensive & are generally tailored to each individual's needs, so as to alleviate the possibility of further injury. It's not just "buy her another chair" - there will be time and effort involved on her part, going in to have a new chair tailored to her specific needs and in the meantime, she's inconvenienced by having no chair or a loaner chair, presumably because she's employed or what have you and may not be able to get where she needs to be - not only that, it could very well cause health concerns, that can range from mild to death.

If you need an idea of the issues disabled people face when unable to use their chairs, just Google and read the stories about airlines damaging or destroying wheelchairs - hell, 1 woman died as a result of her chair being destroyed - she developed a pressure sore that led to infection that led to invasion of her hip bone by the infection and caused her death a bit later.

This was a turd move. There needs to be reparation made in more than one form, and I hope that they make that happen and are sincere in their efforts.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2023, 03:09 PM   #96
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I was in a wheelchair for 3 months recently due to a hit & run and this is definitely a customized/expensive model for someone who will be using it long term. The seat cushion in these chairs itself could be $600-$700. You need to be sitting in these cushions for 8-16 hours a day and they are designed for people who need them for life.

No bar would have a chair like this ($3000-$6000). It has her own post it notes on it and her own cup holder attachement.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2023, 03:11 PM   #97
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This may be one of the more ridiculous and uninformed things I've read on this subject. Get educated.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 03:12 PM   #98
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

The void of empathy being shown here is next level.

I'd like you to take away a disabled person's custom manufactured wheelchair and then attempt to explain to them why it's not so bad and they'd be "bonkers" to overreact about it.

And then when you realize your stupidity, ask them to nut punch you because you deserve it.
Old 03-15-2023, 03:12 PM   #99
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

How long have you been using a wheeled mobility device? In the 23+ years I have had to use a wheelchair, I have been without my wheelchair a handful of times. It is effectively like having my legs broken. Of course, it's not completely analogous but there are strong comparisons. I struggle to find a more apt analogy.

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to GreatWhiteEbola For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2023, 03:13 PM   #100
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
If the Briere's are serious about this, they will purchase a new wheelchair of the highest quality for this person. That is awful behavior ! We have all done stupid things in our lives even when we are older than in our 20's. That level of harm, stupidity is bad. You have been caught, your family name is fairly well known publicly and your family has the financial means to make this right.

Be a man and make amends on this issue quietly and properly.
Just replacing the wheelchair isn't enough. If they really cared they would offer to help over a lot of her medical expenses or help with accessibility options that many people can't afford at home and work (special lifts, etc.).
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flyers news