Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2017, 12:35 PM   #81
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and say that Versteeg and Wideman won't get offers. Likewise, Morrison, Vey and Wotherspoon will not be given new contracts either.

Chaisson is anybodies guess though.

RE: Also I should mention that some players, such as Engelland and Johnson will get offers but who knows if they'll take them.

Last edited by TheIronMaiden; 03-25-2017 at 12:38 PM.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:36 PM   #82
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis's Hairpiece View Post
Is it wrong to hope that Healey gets McDavid lined up in his crosshairs at some point?
Why would McDavid be playing in the AHL?

In seriousness, I think it's always good to go after as many college free agents as you can get.

They tend not to have the star potential of draft picks, but they bust with much less frequency and can really help fill in the holes on the bottom half of the roster cheaply and effectively.

Healey looks like he progressed nicely offensively in his time at college so that's always a plus.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2017, 12:44 PM   #83
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Guys in bold are my bets to be brought back

Unsigned RFAS:
Bennett
Chiasson
Lazar
Ferland
Rittich

Morrison
Gillies
Vey
Hathaway
Culkin
Kulak
Wotherspoon

and they need to sign or replace these UFAs:
Versteeg
Wideman
Engelland
Stone
Elliott
Johnson

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2017, 12:48 PM   #84
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

They need Engelland back. Not signing him would leave a big hole on defence and I don't think any of the d-men in the system are ready to take over his hard minutes yet.

Pass on Versteeg, he's been useless 5 on 5 most of the year, I'd rather get some size in his spot. And yes he gets points, with his pp time and TOI, he better because he doesn't do much else.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2017, 01:00 PM   #85
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Yeah. I wonder if their plan is to have an ECHL team located further west next season.

Spoiler!

There is plenty shuffling of players between Stockton and Adirondack during the season, and that is quite the distance.
There are two thunder in that league? What is wrong with people? Like there is a limit on the number of possible names lol. Just like the cfl was, it's a real head scratcher.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chingas For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2017, 01:03 PM   #86
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's see how playoff performances look before coming to conclusions on which RFA's and UFA's should or should not be resigned.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:05 PM   #87
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
They need Engelland back. Not signing him would leave a big hole on defence and I don't think any of the d-men in the system are ready to take over his hard minutes yet.

Pass on Versteeg, he's been useless 5 on 5 most of the year, I'd rather get some size in his spot. And yes he gets points, with his pp time and TOI, he better because he doesn't do much else.
I disagree. Versteeg has had some great games this year where it was obvious that his only job was to neutralize the other teams most dangerous player. There were two games that mcdavid couldn't get anything done at all when versteeg was on the ice. He is very crafty and is one of those vets that gets away with more from the officials than others. I think that he will be an invaluable piece of our post season.

I would be surprised if he's not back on another one year cheap deal. I think that it works for both parties.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chingas For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2017, 01:08 PM   #88
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post

I agree Engelland is an important piece, the hang up will be price. I reckon the Flames will give him an offer, it just depends what kind of a pay cut he will be happy taking.

As per Versteeg, his spot is up for grabs for some winger in the AHL. I want to say Shinkaruk was intended for that spot this season, but he just wasnt good enough hence the Versteeg contact. However, I'm guessing that Jankowski will likely take his spot next year.

In all reality there is probably front office debate between offering a contract for Chaisson or Versteeg. I think Chaisson ticks off more boxes due to his age, size and health status.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:16 PM   #89
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
including Healey and assuming Dube gets sent back to junior, they are committed to 31 contracts next season
Isn't this 31 minus 1 essentially, because of the expansion draft? Someone will go to Vegas.

Last edited by Itse; 03-25-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:17 PM   #90
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Isn't this 31 minus 1 essentially, because of the expansion draft? Someone will go to Vegas.
Vegas can select an unprotected unsigned RFA.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2017, 01:24 PM   #91
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
There are two thunder in that league? What is wrong with people? Like there is a limit on the number of possible names lol. Just like the cfl was, it's a real head scratcher.
Probably like to two CFL teams they started out in different leagues.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:29 PM   #92
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree. Versteeg has had some great games this year where it was obvious that his only job was to neutralize the other teams most dangerous player. There were two games that mcdavid couldn't get anything done at all when versteeg was on the ice. He is very crafty and is one of those vets that gets away with more from the officials than others. I think that he will be an invaluable piece of our post season.

I would be surprised if he's not back on another one year cheap deal. I think that it works for both parties.

I agree with everything you're saying here except the part about neutralizing the other team's best players. Versteeg is pretty weak defensively and sometimes lazy in that respect, probably his biggest wart IMO. He is a crafty vet though, smart, and has good hands. Overall a positive contribution for sure. Actually, he kind of reminds me of Hudler in a lot of ways.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:31 PM   #93
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

News Update

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/flames-sign-josh-healey-to-entry-level-deal/c-288081720

Quote:
The Calgary Flames announced today that they have signed defenceman Josh Healey from Ohio State University to a two-year, entry-level contract that starts in the 2017-18 season. The 22-year-old will join the Flames AHL affiliate, the Stockton Heat, later this week on an amateur try-out.

Healey, a native of Edmonton, Alberta, has played four years at OSU and this season he skated in 35 games for the Buckeyes and led the club's blueliners with 25 points and 21 assists. In his college career, Healey has played 133 games and recorded 60 points (12G, 48A) and 212 PIMs.

JOSH HEALEY - DEFENCE

BORN: Edmonton, AB DATE: July 12, 1994

HEIGHT: 6'1" WEIGHT: 205 lbs.

SHOOTS: Left

ACQUIRED: Signed as a free agent on Mar. 25, 2017

Last edited by sureLoss; 03-25-2017 at 01:36 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2017, 01:39 PM   #94
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

News Update

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/flames-sign-josh-healey-to-entry-level-deal/c-288081720

Wait a second... the Dude was born in Edmonton and didn't want to sign in Edmonton with guaranteed minutes and a chance to play with Connor McDavid? That can't be right..
Old 03-25-2017, 01:42 PM   #95
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
Wait a second... the Dude was born in Edmonton and didn't want to sign in Edmonton with guaranteed minutes and a chance to play with Connor McDavid? That can't be right..
Based on this Bob Stauffer tweet the Oilers weren't really interested...

Bob Stauffer‏Verified account @Bob_Stauffer
Oilers fans wondering about FA NCAA D remember that Ryan Mantha, Ethan Bear, Caleb Jones and likely Ziyat Paigin in Bakersfield mix '17-'18
Old 03-25-2017, 01:45 PM   #96
tsquared1967
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
They have 8 Giordano on the team. This kid would be lost in the shuffle.
tsquared1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:51 PM   #97
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

For a player like Healey, getting the chance to crank McDavid several times a year is probably a big selling point.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:58 PM   #98
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, #3LD is wide open for next year, let's hope he shows well in Stockton.

There's a bit of a logjam down there right now though:

Kulak-Morrison
Kylington-Doetzel
Aulie
AOM
Healey
Culkin
Wotherspoon

And probably some more that I'm forgetting

Edit: Forgot Kostka, I knew there was one more RD

Last edited by bigrangy; 03-25-2017 at 02:03 PM.
bigrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:58 PM   #99
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
There are two teams in the ahl called the Admirals as well.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 03:17 PM   #100
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/heal...er/c-288083022

Quote:
The Ohio State University defenceman attended Calgary's 2016 development camp - a trip that made him partial to the Flames when it came time to sign with an NHL club after the Buckeyes season came to a close.

"It was a really big influence," Healey told CalgaryFlames.com. "Everyone was great, really helpful. With me being from Edmonton too, I know the city really well. I love the mountains … it was a great experience.

"Signing (here) kind of feels like coming home.

"I've dreamed of this my whole life. I'm ready to get started."
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post: