Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2016, 12:54 PM   #81
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
The only problem I have with Mystique as the leader is that Lawrence doesn't seem to be pulling that off particularly well at this point. I thought she was the weakest main actor in DOFP. Her scene with Magneto in the telephone booth left a lot to be desired, especially since they built her up as becoming "Mystique", I wanted more of a femme fatale vibe from her.

In these trailers, she just seems too meek to pull of the leader believably. "Some of us can't control our powers." "Then don't. This is war." Great line, poorly delivered IMO. A big thing about Mystique in the cartoon was her voice; it was deep, commanding, and intimidating.

A lot of times trailers take lines out of context or they are a different take in the final film though, So i reserve my judgment.

EDIT: From those Empire covers, it looks like Moira will be in battle. It'll be interesting to see how effective (if at all) she will be.
I actually thought Lawrence was really good. Particularly in the childhood scenes with Xavier. Going forward all Lawrence needs to do is pretty much pull off the exact same routine from the Hunger Games. Innocent and naive young girl who becomes bad ass fighter. It helps too that she is 25, while in First Class she was only 19-20 during filming.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:56 PM   #82
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
I've never really cared about movies changing the status-quo within fandoms. I was one of the few Transformer fans that I interacted with that was excited for Bay's first film and didn't lose my #### at Optimus having flames.

When other mediums stray from the original source you can get some really good ideas. Hell, in some cases you see major changes that just make everything better. I don't like how fandoms immediately freak out and or worry when these changes are seen or announced. Whether I like them or not, you need to wait and see how they play out. Mystique in a leadership role in this movie could work out so well, that it becomes a thing in the source. It could also be a colossal failure and go over like a mein kampf reading at a bar mitzvah. Truthfully, I lean toward the latter but, we may get an explanation that makes it awesome or find out it is something as simple as Xavier mind controlling Mystique at this point in the movie.
Yes and no. There are plenty of examples where writers have tried to hollywood characters or change them due to budgetary restraints with disastrous results. I refer you to Deadpool in the Wolverine, Fantastic Four, Quicksilver in Avengers 2, and pretty much any comicbook movie made pre-2005 or so...

Re-imaginations are fine as long as the people doing so understand what makes the character great. You can change a characters history/details while preserving the spirit of the character.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:03 PM   #83
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I actually thought Lawrence was really good. Particularly in the childhood scenes with Xavier. Going forward all Lawrence needs to do is pretty much pull off the exact same routine from the Hunger Games. Innocent and naive young girl who becomes bad ass fighter. It helps too that she is 25, while in First Class she was only 19-20 during filming.
Yeah she was good in First Class as young Mystique, and I thought she was OK in DOFP (saying she was the weakest lead is not necessarily saying she was bad, just compared to Fassbender, Jackman and McAvoy, I thought she was the weakest). I guess I wanted more hints at the Romijn version in DOFP. The physicality was there, but not the attitude IMO. I'd just like to see her drifting more towards the "creature" of Mystique, especially when Magneto is around.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of her in the Hunger Games.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:37 PM   #84
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thought the newest trailer was much better than the first. The overall tone of it was excellent, good choice of music and the voice of Apocalypse was better. Got darker the more upset he got. Almost a static feeling to it.

Can't wait.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2016, 01:40 PM   #85
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Yes and no. There are plenty of examples where writers have tried to hollywood characters or change them due to budgetary restraints with disastrous results. I refer you to Deadpool in the Wolverine, Fantastic Four, Quicksilver in Avengers 2, and pretty much any comicbook movie made pre-2005 or so...

Re-imaginations are fine as long as the people doing so understand what makes the character great. You can change a characters history/details while preserving the spirit of the character.
Oh I know. For every awesome change or creation, there are five you can cite of just terrible choices.

But imagine where we would be without Harley Quinn. I want those chances taken and changes made.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2016, 01:51 PM   #86
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Oh I know. For every awesome change or creation, there are five you can cite of just terrible choices.

But imagine where we would be without Harley Quinn. I want those chances taken and changes made.
I think what's accounted for a lot of the good changes is the heavier involvement of fans and actual comic book people in the newer movies.

And yes, the DCAU is an example of great writing.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:58 PM   #87
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think what's accounted for a lot of the good changes is the heavier involvement of fans and actual comic book people in the newer movies.

And yes, the DCAU is an example of great writing.
Agreed. It's not an accident that bringing in people who actually care about the history of these characters has yielded positive results. Whedon and Reynolds are great examples.

It's a shame DC hasn't brought in someone like Bruce Timm to oversee the JL movies.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:20 PM   #88
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:

It's a shame DC hasn't brought in someone like Bruce Timm to oversee the JL movies.
I think he would feel very limited by the restrictions of filming real life people.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 03-17-2016, 02:23 PM   #89
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed. It's not an accident that bringing in people who actually care about the history of these characters has yielded positive results. Whedon and Reynolds are great examples.

I stated this in a different thread, but DC has brought in Geoff Johns to help write. IMO he is probably the best modern writer DC has had.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2016, 02:30 PM   #90
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think he would feel very limited by the restrictions of filming real life people.
I don't mean he needs to direct or anything. Just take an overseer's role to make sure that things jive with the source material, and that they are going down the proper path story-wise.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:43 PM   #91
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
I don't mean he needs to direct or anything. Just take an overseer's role to make sure that things jive with the source material, and that they are going down the proper path story-wise.
Of all the people with a big hand in the DCAU, Timm is the last one I'd bring in for just Story.

Paul Dini or Alan Burnett are the two I'd take for that. Geoff Johns is a better choice though.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2016, 02:58 PM   #92
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why is that? Just curious as I'm honestly not really sure what the nitty gritty details are of everything DCAU, but it seems like Timm has his fingers all over it, and I really enjoy their animated stuff.

(Maybe this is a better discussion for the BvS thread)
Old 03-17-2016, 03:14 PM   #93
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Thought the newest trailer was much better than the first. The overall tone of it was excellent, good choice of music and the voice of Apocalypse was better. Got darker the more upset he got. Almost a static feeling to it.

Can't wait.
I think it looks awesome.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:40 PM   #94
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Why is that? Just curious as I'm honestly not really sure what the nitty gritty details are of everything DCAU, but it seems like Timm has his fingers all over it, and I really enjoy their animated stuff.

(Maybe this is a better discussion for the BvS thread)
With all due respect to Timm he's an artist. It is Paul Dini who is the heart and soul behind Batman TAS and has a great history of comic book work and story telling, including the first two Arkham video games.

Unless you want the movies to look like Batman TAS...which would be weird.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 03-17-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2016, 03:49 PM   #95
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:

Again, I know we are derailing here but this is a major pet peeve of mine (although of all the bad choices I probably wouldn't have picked any from Blankall's list except Deadpool). I'd say Galactus, The Dark Phoenix Saga in X3, Batman No Man's Land in TDKR, Venom from Spiderman 3, Death of Gwen Stacy from ASM2 etc are all far more egregious examples of stories or characters being poorly adapted.

And I don't just mean characters. Without a doubt the number one reason why most comic book movies fail, and it is a major BvS issue, is the selective use of source material. With the X-Men franchise, Singer has had some misses when he picks and chooses but has hit a few out of the park and on some of them the adaptations have been understandable.

Sometimes I wonder when these writers and studio idiots will learn that there is a reason these stories, and I do mean specific storylines not just characters, are popular in the first place. I assume it is usually ego with the writers and studios wanting to make everything hollywood. I mean, just look how Snyder has now effectively ended any chance of a true Dark Knight Returns film adaptation by ripping off the most iconic moments and putting them in an unrelated film. If you're gonna do Batman vs Supes just ####ing do TDKR. Why steal all the good #### and put it in a crap film with an "original" story?

Singer has done a great job of staying faithful, while adapting where necessary, and Snyder did have a good track record with Watchmen and 300 of being extremely faithful, like shot for shot faithful, with only necessary additions. Another one would be Sin City. That #### is literally the comic book with moving pictures.

I guess maybe that is why I'm a little hesitant about this Xmen movie...I really hope Singer hasn't changed and combined so many stories that he ends up ruining it all like happened with so many characters and stories/movies before this.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 03-17-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:53 PM   #96
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

To make DCAU as amazing as it was over the 10 - 15 years it existed, Timm deserves a lot of credit. He fought for it. He was the one that drove it. He came up with the style that was present from day one.

But he was never the story guy. Some of the worst episodes through all the series were his. I think by the time of JL, he'd just stopped altogether and left it to Burnett.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 03-17-2016, 04:00 PM   #97
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I wish the generic black armor was a bit more 80s. Loved that they actually did the yellow spandex in First Class. There are so many more directions they could have gone for costumes than generic black padding for everyone.

As like Psylocke looks comic accurate to a great degree.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:09 PM   #98
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Again, I know we are derailing here but this is a major pet peeve of mine (although of all the bad choices I probably wouldn't have picked any from Blankall's list except Deadpool).

And I don't just mean characters. Without a doubt the number one reason why most comic book movies fail, and it is a major BvS issue, is the selective use of source material. With the X-Men franchise, Singer has had some misses when he picks and chooses but has hit a few out of the park and on some of them the adaptations have been understandable.

Sometimes I wonder when these writers and studio idiots will learn that there is a reason these stories, and I do mean specific storylines not just characters, are popular in the first place. I assume it is usually ego with the writers and studios wanting to make everything hollywood. I mean, just look how Snyder has now effectively ended any chance of a true Dark Knight Returns film adaptation by ripping off the most iconic moments and putting them in an unrelated film. If you're gonna do Batman vs Supes just ####ing do TDKR. Why steal all the good #### and put it in a crap film with an "original" story?

Singer has done a great job of staying faithful, while adapting where necessary, and Snyder did have a good track record with Watchmen and 300 of being extremely faithful, like shot for shot faithful, with only necessary additions. Another one would be Sin City. That #### is literally the comic book with moving pictures.

I guess maybe that is why I'm a little hesitant about this Xmen movie...I really hope Singer hasn't changed and combined so many stories that he ends up ruining it all like happened with so many characters and stories/movies before this.
Execution is just as important as story with comic book material.

There are scenes when Magneto is hunting down nazis in First Class that are straight up chilling. There are scenes in X3 that are so bad they are humorous.

There is always a huge risk of the Cheese factor getting out of control with any comic book material. Comic book movies need style.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:07 PM   #99
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched the trailer and think it's just as awesome as all the rest.

Looks like Mystique is going to be sporting a garb very similar to the comics at some point.

I have a little bet with myself that Wolverine shows up in full gear at some point.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:04 AM   #100
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Just watched the trailer and think it's just as awesome as all the rest.

Looks like Mystique is going to be sporting a garb very similar to the comics at some point.

I have a little bet with myself that Wolverine shows up in full gear at some point.
If we're going by the timeline that DOFP rewrote, he can't. Wolverine will still be a captive of Stryker's during the events of Apocalypse so having him show up would make no sense
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote