Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When does Next break ground.
2016 14 4.95%
2017 36 12.72%
2018 75 26.50%
5+ years 98 34.63%
10+ years 10 3.53%
Never. 50 17.67%
Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2015, 04:10 PM   #81
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
Infrastructure for that area will be very costly, KK is being sneaky about this, after the arena's are open the true scope of traffic problems will be known and of course dealt with at a huge cost to taxpayers. and then there's the cleanup costs(who will pay for it?)

Not that you want it but I'll give you my opinion anyway

That area should be cleaned up and used similar to east village, with the way our road systems are in this city we need more places to live closer to the downtown core.

I would put this massive project up on the hill at firepark, 5 minutes from downtown, right off of deerfoot tr and already on the LRT line, this area(Barlow/Memorial could also be revitalized with hotels,bars, condo's etc.
No developer is touching west village to pay for any cleanup. And no entertainment district businesses would want to be outside of the downtown/beltline area, the Albert Park crowd notwithstanding. Firepark doesn't have the same access to businessmen who spend the after-work bucks that this area would. It's isolated and surrounded by warehouses and industrial sites, which would all require massive private developer risk money to develop into hotels and condos in an unproven area. Plus, I gather the vast majority of season ticket holders are in the SW and NW, not the NE.

Really, the Firepark area (including Max Bell especially) is almost too big - you couldn't develop it all and it would be another arena surrounded by nothing.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:34 PM   #82
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
No developer is touching west village to pay for any cleanup. And no entertainment district businesses would want to be outside of the downtown/beltline area, the Albert Park crowd notwithstanding. Firepark doesn't have the same access to businessmen who spend the after-work bucks that this area would. It's isolated and surrounded by warehouses and industrial sites, which would all require massive private developer risk money to develop into hotels and condos in an unproven area. Plus, I gather the vast majority of season ticket holders are in the SW and NW, not the NE.

Really, the Firepark area (including Max Bell especially) is almost too big - you couldn't develop it all and it would be another arena surrounded by nothing.
Funny, they said the same things about the area Angel Stadium and the Honda Center are located in Anaheim, the Pepsi Center in Denver and the SAP Center in San Jose.

All located just out of the core in older industrial area's but close enough that nobody suffers trying to get to them because they are close to everyone. plus they all have ample parking for those who want to drive.

Again, it's a 5 minute difference for these SW/NW ticket holders and with the traffic nightmare that's probable it's most likely faster for them to get in/out of firepark.

And the maxbell isn't in firepark, it's over a mile away off the LRT line.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:06 PM   #83
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Of course it'd be stupid but as we've seen from Ottawa and Phoenix, a free arena will cause stupid decisions.
Ottawa's arena wasn't "free". Senators development Corp paid for it. FYI. Bad place to put an arena regardless, your point stands.
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:14 PM   #84
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
Funny, they said the same things about the area Angel Stadium and the Honda Center are located in Anaheim, the Pepsi Center in Denver and the SAP Center in San Jose.

All located just out of the core in older industrial area's but close enough that nobody suffers trying to get to them because they are close to everyone. plus they all have ample parking for those who want to drive.

Again, it's a 5 minute difference for these SW/NW ticket holders and with the traffic nightmare that's probable it's most likely faster for them to get in/out of firepark.

And the maxbell isn't in firepark, it's over a mile away off the LRT line.
I know Max Bell isn't in Firepark, but every proponent of that site includes it, presumably to have more space. And then they cite the view as a selling point.

I have to be convinced that "they" said the same things about those other arenas. And aren't they all standalone arenas, not entertainment districts? I only have been to the Honda Centre and there's not much around it worth noting.

The entertainment district is a big part of this, and it just won't happen in Firepark. This things getting built in in west village or not at all, I think.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:00 PM   #85
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Why are we still arguing about the location.

Fire Park is not a bad location if you want to build a more traditional show up to the event then leave, vehicle orientated facility. But that's not what the Flames want, they want walk, train, come early, stay late, public use on dark nights.

Balzac is not 30 minutes from 16th and Stoney. (maybe 30 minutes from Chestemere). But like Fire Park that's not what the Flames want.

The Stampede doesn't not want to give up enough land to build a duel use building

So there are only 2 options. Just north of the old building in Vic Park, or West Village near the Sunalta train station. Of the 2 options it will be the West Village because the Sunalta train station is there and the Vic Park Station is only planned.

Last edited by #-3; 10-16-2015 at 07:05 PM.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post: