Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2014, 10:40 AM   #81
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puxlut View Post
Pretty big spoiler... just happened an hour ago.

Spoiler!
That was tough to watch. Double so by the fact we had just buried my g/f's grandma the same day.

Watching someone's face break down into sorrow like that is heartbreaking. Good on the house for reacting the way it did.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 07-25-2014 at 01:07 PM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:44 AM   #82
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
That was tough to watch. Double so by the fact we had just buried my g/f's grandma the same day.

Watching someone's face go to instant sorrow like that is heartbreaking. Good on the house for reacting the way it did.
Spoiler!

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:08 PM   #83
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:59 PM   #84
Guest1

Are you freakin' kidding me!!!!??
Spoiler!
Old 08-07-2014, 08:02 PM   #85
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone still watching this? Awful season. Frankie and Zach are just the worst.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:29 AM   #86
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not a bad season but as I have been saying for years CBS needs to change things up and stop announcing the eviction vote to the houseguests as the Thursday shows are so boring as regardless of how CBS edits the beginning of the show trying to make it sounds like the house is undetermined you always know who's getting evicted because nobody will take chances to vote against the house and we end up will all these unanimous (or close to) evictions. It's so predictable that at the onset of yesterdays double eviction episode I predicted that Jocasta and Hayden would be the ones evicted.

If they just announced who was evicted and not the vote count it would encourage voters to collaborate against the people running the house as every season follows the same path of an early alliance rolling over the other houseguests which gets repetitive as there are rarely big moves anymore until the end of the game but by then many viewers have tuned out. I get so tired of the "I sadly vote to evict ....." in the diary room because voters are scared to vote the other way as there would be an ensuing witch hunt to find out who broke rank. The new format of two HOH has turned out okay but it still ends up the same on Thursday which is killing the show. Such a simple fix and I don't understand why they don't change it.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 08-08-2014 at 07:37 AM.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #87
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah this season got old pretty fast, I'm guessing Donny/Victoria will be used as the "pawn" nominations with Zach/Caleb being the big target for the week only to see the house vote out the wrong person.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:04 PM   #88
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Thursday shows are so boring as regardless of how CBS edits the beginning of the show trying to make it sounds like the house is undetermined you always know who's getting evicted because nobody will take chances to vote against the house and we end up will all these unanimous (or close to) evictions.
The funny thing is the house did flip this time. Everyone was on board with getting out Zach except for Zach and Caleb. Caleb wasn't told to start because they were afraid of him yapping his mouth. Only at the 11th hour did they tell Caleb, and somehow he was the voice of reason and was able to get them to stay course. Of course they weren't able to flesh it out very well because of the double eviction but unlike most evictions this one did come down to the last moments. And Hayden and Nicole were blindsided and hopefully we'll see the fallout of it in these next couple weeks.

I don't think the vote counts matter much. You either go in knowing you have the majority or go in thinking you have the majority and get blindsided. After that it's usually easy to see who stood where. The vote count does add the potential of "mystery votes" that can lead to witch hunts, so if anything I think it makes the game less predictable in the very rare occasions that happens (America's Player Eric).
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:35 PM   #89
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I don't think the vote counts matter much. You either go in knowing you have the majority or go in thinking you have the majority and get blindsided. After that it's usually easy to see who stood where. The vote count does add the potential of "mystery votes" that can lead to witch hunts, so if anything I think it makes the game less predictable in the very rare occasions that happens (America's Player Eric).
I called it before the show that Jocasta would be voted out as although CBS tried hard to make it sound like Zach was going to be voted out that never really made sense from the perspective of the alliances to keep Jocasta who if she won HOH would put two of them and get rid of Zach who have the backs of most of the alliance. I always knew that when cooler heads prevailed that they would realize how foolish it would be to evict a number on their side so early. The change wasn't last minute before the vote like you say as the clips they put up are over days preceding the vote. At the time of the vote we all know who was being evicted just like all the votes previous. Zero suspense.

The vote count matters because lot of players vote to eliminate the houseguest the circle of power wants out not the actual houseguest that they would rather evict. What the CBS doesn't show on air very often is before every vote all the house guests go around asking who the house is voting for and they vote that way because they are scared to go against the grain. As you said there's a witch hunt if you vote against the house which means the entire process is flawed as players are voting out of fear/group think and not individual strategy.

The way it works now people outside the circle of power formed typically at the beginning of the show have very little power or chance to make the final two as they end up being forced to one by one evict their allies. Not announcing the vote count would make it possible for a group to attempt power plays without having to fear consequences if it doesn't work out as nobody will know that outliers voted against the house. That's simply not possible today and the result is the same old predictable votes and anticlimactic Thursday shows.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #90
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

it wasn't CBS faking anything about it going to be Zach though, it changed effectively early thursday morning from reading the updates

Caleb was the one who made them realize dropping a number was dumb, but all of the others were all for voting Zach out from last Sunday when Derrick/Cody decided to just the night/morning before
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:41 PM   #91
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I called it before the show that Jocasta would be voted out as although CBS tried hard to make it sound like Zach was going to be voted out that never really made sense from the perspective of the alliances to keep Jocasta who if she won HOH would put two of them and get rid of Zach who have the backs of most of the alliance. I always knew that when cooler heads prevailed that they would realize how foolish it would be to evict a number on their side so early. The change wasn't last minute before the vote like you say as the clips they put up are over days preceding the vote. At the time of the vote we all know who was being evicted just like all the votes previous. Zero suspense.
Which again is funny, because this was one time that they did plan on eliminating Zach. Most of the time you are correct, you get some fluff DR session about the positives of going against the predictable vote but usuaully there's no substance to back it up. This was a case of Zach being on his way out the second Christine didn't use the veto. Had the vote been that day he was gone, the couple extra days of paranoia between Derrick and Cody with Nicole and a drunken Caleb are the reasons Zach was around. But the house was set on Wednesday to vote out Zach - and Frankie had a huge chance of going home if the veto went Nicole's way.

Quote:
The way it works now people outside the circle of power formed typically at the beginning of the show have very little power or chance to make the final two as they end up being forced to one by one evict their allies. Not announcing the vote count would make it possible for a group to attempt power plays without having to fear consequences if it doesn't work out as nobody will know that outliers voted against the house. That's simply not possible today and the result is the same old predictable votes and anticlimactic Thursday shows.
I think you're overstating it. These groups need a voting majority to do anything. They can only get that by talking to people to disturb the status quo. By talking to people is where the biggest danger is, not in the actual vote. Like I said, they either go into the vote with a majority or thinking they have a majority. In the cases they think they have a majority and they don't, #### goes down right after. See this past episode with Nicole and Hayden calling out the house.

What these floaters and useless players need to do is get together. They don't because they aren't good players and don't want to rock the boat and become targets. A hidden vote tally would not change that one bit.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 08-08-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:08 PM   #92
pgsieve
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I don't know about you guys... But this is my favorite season yet!
Old 08-12-2014, 03:43 PM   #93
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
What these floaters and useless players need to do is get together. They don't because they aren't good players and don't want to rock the boat and become targets. A hidden vote tally would not change that one bit.
You illustrate my point in them being scared to rock the boat and in then go on to say that a hidden vote wouldn't help. Makes no sense man because the reason they are scared to rock the boat is because the votes count is made public and if they fail on a big move they are outed.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:09 AM   #94
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You illustrate my point in them being scared to rock the boat and in then go on to say that a hidden vote wouldn't help. Makes no sense man because the reason they are scared to rock the boat is because the votes count is made public and if they fail on a big move they are outed.
My argument is that you need to actual plan things first. If you get the votes to do a blindside or make a move you're fine, if you fail to get the votes you're in trouble. This happens before the actual voting and I don't think would change a thing if it was a hidden tally. For example, the last eviction where Nicole and Hayden were blindsided by the house not voting out Zach, do you think they would have been safe with a hidden vote? Zach would have thought the vote was unanimous for about 10 seconds before someone told him that Nicole and Hayden tried to blindside him and it would have made no difference. Nicole and Hayden would still have called out Frankie and Christine and exactly 0 things would have changed.

People aren't afraid of going to Victoria because of not getting the votes, it's because they are afraid she will tell Derrick for example. Victoria isn't afraid of making a move because of the votes, it's because when she does the house will know and she loses her cushy job of just laying low doing nothing.

There might might be some room for the first couple votes to not be unanimous or nearly unanimous but outside of that you're not changing much. I think you're giving too much credit to the useless players who don't want to rock the boat (despite not having a chance to win). They don't want to rock the boat because they think they are secure, if they didn't they wouldn't care about rocking the boat and the vote count.

So again, it's not the vote count that scares them, it's the actual conversations that occur long before the votes are cast. They are afraid those will out them much more than the vote count.