Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2018, 10:52 AM   #81
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Yeah that’s the thumbnail sportsnet poorly chose.

Back it up 2 frames.

Like Jesus Backlund knee is almost on the ice here. You think this is the initial point of contact?
I have. While really close contact is not happening until Dumba's feet begin to leave the ice. Also regardless, Dumba can make that hit without pushing through the head. It is dirty and predatory and if it Tkachuk throwing that hit it is at least three games.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:53 AM   #82
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Show me a screen capture.

No, no not that one, that supports your position.

Show me another, you know one that supports my position.
Clearly I’m not as technologically capable as some of the wizards on this site. Im looking at it, no idea how to upload it. Im not claiming some mystery angle. Same angle.

Jeez I couldn’t even find Peters presser and it’s on like 4 websites.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:53 AM   #83
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we be okay with the Dumba hit and happy Lomberg went at him?
Old 12-07-2018, 10:53 AM   #84
Keselke
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Lomberg came on the ice with the only intention of jumping Dumba, whether Dumba previously did something wrong...does not give any player a pass to simply jump somebody, further to that Dumba did not even engage with Lomberg, or accept the fight in any way.

Giordano knee'd Koivu, he intentionally stuck his leg out, whether he meant to hit his knee or not, is irrelevant

If this was done against flames players, the board would be up in arms. CP use to be way more level headed, really starting to follow HF boards for blind homerism

I am so fulfilled with many things in my life that it would be pathetic to seek schadenfreude over something as silly as a sports game.
Keselke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:54 AM   #85
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I know this is a Calgary Flames fan board, but people basically defending Gio's knee and saying Dunba's clean open ice hit is suspension worthy is really
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 10:54 AM   #86
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Can we be okay with the Dumba hit and happy Lomberg went at him?
No. Cause Lomberg barely got any shots in and Dumba turtled. I want more retribution next game. Then I will be happy.
bluck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluck For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 10:55 AM   #87
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Show me a screen capture.

No, no not that one, that supports your position.

Show me another, you know one that supports my position.
Give it up, its completely obvious that Dumba’s skates were on the ice from watching a replay a single time.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:55 AM   #88
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Clearly I’m not as technologically capable as some of the wizards on this site. Im looking at it, no idea how to upload it. Im not claiming some mystery angle. Same angle.

Jeez I couldn’t even find Peters presser and it’s on like 4 websites.
So your argument is that it is ok to go headhunting as long as you don't leave your feet?
Old 12-07-2018, 10:56 AM   #89
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
Gio has put many people out of commissions with knees extended before (Cam Fowler, Ryan, Aho biggest example). He actually has quite a history, whether us fans love to see him in rainbow coloured glasses or not. He is a pretty big offender, and they are all quite deliberate. Gio should be suspended 2-3 games at the minimum. We love him, but let's not paint him as a saint...
Of course he is not a saint, that being said the on ice behaviour between teams seems to be self regulated because the refs do not seem to do it. I seem to remember the wild putting Johnny out with broken finger awhile ago.

Really if the other team is going to go after your stars then that means its open season on their stars. That being said I saw nothing wrong with the Gio hit(other then it was very effective), whereas the slash on JG was clearly illegal.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:56 AM   #90
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It absolutely is. It’s a rare occasion a player actually jumps into someone. Especially open ice. The likely hood you’ll fall flat on your back has to be increased 10 fold if you jump in the air. It isn’t a common practice, which is why it’s a penalty when the odd maniac does it (generally into a player along the boards).

But elevating into a hit is standard.
I agree that skates are on the ice at the contact in almost every hit, suspended or not. That's my point. DPS is saying it like it's something meaningful when it isn't.

What should be meaningful is head contact, flow of the play, positioning of both players and intent (as implied by actions).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:57 AM   #91
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
So your argument is that it is ok to go headhunting as long as you don't leave your feet?
the moral of this story is to keep your head up if you are cutting across the trolly tracks
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:57 AM   #92
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Give it up, its completely obvious that Dumba’s skates were on the ice from watching a replay a single time.
Ah I see. Dumba is a wizard and after hitting Backlund in the head he levitated in mid air to admire his hit. Got it.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:58 AM   #93
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
No one says Gio is a saint, but DPS is only supposed to consider a history of suspensions or fines. Not "he's a dirty player".
And that's why Gio will only get a couple of games. They've had to review a few hits of his lately in the past year. They will do it to send a message.

Just because he hasn't been suspended in the past, doesn't mean this one will make it, and we should be very happy if he doesn't get suspended.

He's taken out Aho, Fowler, and now likely Koivu for extended periods, all knee on knee that needed reviewing in the past year.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:58 AM   #94
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Gio has put many people out of commissions with knees extended before (Cam Fowler, Ryan, Aho biggest example). He actually has quite a history, whether us fans love to see him in rainbow coloured glasses or not. He is a pretty big offender, and they are all quite deliberate. Gio should be suspended 2-3 games at the minimum. We love him, but let's not paint him as a saint...

https://calgaryherald.com/sports/hoc...ee-on-knee-hit

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...knee-knee-hit/

These 2 videos are bad examples of what you are trying to convey. Especially the Aho one. That was a clean hit.

Sure, where theres smoke theres fire! But also, it could be that Gio is a physical Dman whose play puts him in these positions from time to time.

This isn't Bryan Marchament we're talking about.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:59 AM   #95
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Looking at the replay of Gio on Koivu:

Gio sticks his leg out - but he DOES NOT stick his knee out. His knee stays in the same position relative to Koivu.

Also, the knees don’t make contact, the shin pads collide just under the knee.

That is a 2 minute tripping penalty, nothing more.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:00 AM   #96
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And that's why Gio will only get a couple of games. They've had to review a few hits of his lately in the past year. They will do it to send a message.

Just because he hasn't been suspended in the past, doesn't mean this one will make it, and we should be very happy if he doesn't get suspended.

He's taken out Aho, Fowler, and now likely Koivu for extended periods, all knee on knee that needed reviewing in the past year.
If those didn't result in supplemental discipline, under the rules, they are irrelevant. What you are saying is that they will break the rules to get a result.

I bet one game max and more likely $5K. Then he has a record, which is all the message they need to send.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:00 AM   #97
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Of course he is not a saint, that being said the on ice behaviour between teams seems to be self regulated because the refs do not seem to do it. I seem to remember the wild putting Johnny out with broken finger awhile ago.

Really if the other team is going to go after your stars then that means its open season on their stars. That being said I saw nothing wrong with the Gio hit(other then it was very effective), whereas the slash on JG was clearly illegal.
seriously, you think there is nothing wrong with kneeing a player?
people may be debating what the punishment should be, but you're about the only one to say there is nothing wrong with it.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:01 AM   #98
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Looking at the replay of Gio on Koivu:

Gio sticks his leg out - but he DOES NOT stick his knee out. His knee stays in the same position relative to Koivu.

Also, the knees don’t make contact, the shin pads collide just under the knee.

That is a 2 minute tripping penalty, nothing more.
That's the way I saw it, but the name of the player who got hurt is always the x-factor.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:03 AM   #99
sixpacked
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Everyone calling this hit dirty is the reason it's called the No Hitting League now. Backlund had his head down and was in an unfortunate spot, Dumba didn't do anything wrong
Except his act of targeting a player hunched over with his head down, directly in front of him trying to clear the puck out of his zone. If you are going to do this, except retaliation. I don't have a problem with the hit aside from the above. Wasn't late, primary contact was chest, incidental head contact. No blame should be placed on Backlund for trying to make a hockey play late in a close game.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:04 AM   #100
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
seriously, you think there is nothing wrong with kneeing a player?
people may be debating what the punishment should be, but you're about the only one to say there is nothing wrong with it.
Gio didn't knee a player. Look up Bryan Marchment to see kneeing. Gio was late with a pin along the boards and bad things happened. He was penalized for it with a minor penalty.