Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #81
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
If Katz gave this money to other people to donate to the PC party, would they not have to pay income tax on the money (offset by the donation amount)?

All in all shouldn't each one of these people have to pay income tax on ~$16,000 more of income?
I'm pretty sure monetary gifting to family members is non-taxable. However some of the contributors were shareholders and/or staff; so in those cases it should be included in their T4, T5 or whatever at year end.

Slava likely in a better position to address this.
First Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to First Lady For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #82
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
What's the difference?

And since you are an accountant or book-keeper, please spare us the naïve act. As you well know, it is very possible the WRA list contains duplicates that we are not seeing because donors donated as individuals and then again as one (or more) Corporation(s). It's not like the numbered companies are transparent in the least.

It's another partisan attack disguised as moral indignation.
My question about the WRP records was a serious one. In fact if there were some on their records I would be very upset.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #83
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Lady View Post
I'm pretty sure monetary gifting to family members is non-taxable. However some of the contributors were shareholders and/or staff; so in those cases it should be included in their T4, T5 or whatever at year end.

Slava likely in a better position to address this.
Yes, you can gift without taxes, but attribution rules still apply.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #84
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Oh you Wild Rose supporters. You're a silly bunch!
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #85
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
In other words this is a pretty transparent attempt for the Wildrose to try to paint themselves as more responsible fiscally. I suppose we should bring up how much money the Wildrose spent to elect each MLA though, and that tells an entirely different story.
LOL .. yeah, let's not go there. It's pretty sad.....

Quote:
I don't like the Katz donation, but it doesn't sound like it was against the law? In that respect, the whole thing just sounds like sour grapes.
Well it's the NDP who are calling for an official inquiry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
valo403 - she's done this before several times on this forum. Watch her deflect and never give a straight answer! If you get her to admit to mudslinging (I've tried before), I'll figuratively salute you, good sir.
If I were mudslinging it should be pretty easy to direct quote me.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #86
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Actually I think I've been pretty clear that there are two possible outcomes here one is legal, the other questionable depending on what Elections Alberta might find. (If they investigate).

Beyond that, I'm sorry if you don't like my posting style.
The only thing that's clear is that you're CLEARLY trying to drum up controversy and you are CLEARLY lying through your teeth about it.

I don't have an issue with your posting style, I have an issue with you playing yourself off as naive and playing us for stupid.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to valo403 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2012, 04:07 PM   #87
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
What's the difference?

And since you are an accountant or book-keeper, please spare us the naïve act. As you well know, it is very possible the WRA list contains duplicates that we are not seeing because donors donated as individuals and then again as one (or more) Corporation(s). It's not like the numbered companies are transparent in the least.

It's another partisan attack disguised as moral indignation.
A quick scan of the list that First Lady posted of WRA donations shows that 4 people donated the maximum amount of $30000 and one company.
Gordon Arnell
Elmira Ibbotson
Gary Ibbotson
Timothy Ulrichsen
And one corporation gave $30000 which was Prairie Merchant Corporation.
It is entirely possibly that Elmira owns Prairie Merchant and gave 30 through herself, her husband and her company. That is only one corporation though so this 'one or more corporations idea' is easily disproved.

I do find it odd though that one individual is being credited for donating about one third of the entire fund-raising that the PC's brought in.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #88
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
A quick scan of the list that First Lady posted of WRA donations shows that 4 people donated the maximum amount of $30000 and one company.
Gordon Arnell
Elmira Ibbotson
Gary Ibbotson
Timothy Ulrichsen
It is entirely possibly that Elmira owns Prairie Merchant and gave 30 through herself, her husband and her company. That is only one corporation though so this 'one or more corporations idea' is easily disproved.

I do find it odd though that one individual is being credited for donating about one third of the entire fund-raising that the PC's brought in.
I know who controls Prairie Merchant Corporation and it's not any of the individuals you mentioned.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #89
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Did the PCs run a deficit though, or just spend more than they brought in during the campaign period? In other words did they have a bank account with $3M in it and they dipped into that to fund their (winning) campaign?

To me there is a huge difference.
That's actually the exact definition of a deficit.

They could easily run a deficit, without going into debt, which is what you're talking about.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #90
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If I were mudslinging it should be pretty easy to direct quote me.
This thread. There you go.

You've made it quite well known the last couple years that you're pro WRP, and yet have never admitted to being on a political agenda. Deflect, deflect, deflect. Rinse and repeat. The schtick is getting old.

Starting a thread like this, specifically using the party acryonym PC in the thread title to negatively associate them with whatever it is Katz did as an individual, is the very definition of mudslinging. You're attempting to paint the PC party in a bad light through it; though you'll never admit to your agenda, that's for sure.... why start now, eh?

As a change of pace, I'd like to hear you say something GOOD about the PC's. I can name several things. If you don't have an anti-PC agenda, prove it. If you don't want to, just admit you have one... like nik- said, it's okay to admit that you have one.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #91
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
Gordon Arnell
Elmira Ibbotson
Gary Ibbotson
Timothy Ulrichsen

Brett Wilson (of Dragons Den fame) owns Prairie Merchant...
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:20 PM   #92
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
This thread. There you go.

You've made it quite well known the last couple years that you're pro WRP, and yet have never admitted to being on a political agenda. Deflect, deflect, deflect. Rinse and repeat. The schtick is getting old.

Starting a thread like this, specifically using the party acryonym PC in the thread title to negatively associate them with whatever it is Katz did as an individual, is the very definition of mudslinging. You're attempting to paint the PC party in a bad light through it; though you'll never admit to your agenda, that's for sure.... why start now, eh?

As a change of pace, I'd like to hear you say something GOOD about the PC's. I can name several things. If you don't have an anti-PC agenda, prove it. If you don't want to, just admit you have one... like nik- said, it's okay to admit that you have one.
I have one!

They have very opinionated defenders on internet forums.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #93
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
Brett Wilson (of Dragons Den fame) owns Prairie Merchant...
There you have it. No individual donated to the WRA in the style that Darryl Katz donated to the PC party.
Although I am not sure if the WRA would have sent him away if he showed up and asked if him and his family could all donate $30000 each.
Most of the Wildrose money came from small donations though. They received 3 million total and 1.9 came from people donating $375 and up. The other 1.1 came from small donations.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #94
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Given the wording in the legislation, it was drafted to deliberately allow people to easily circumvent the spirit of the law.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #95
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
That's actually the exact definition of a deficit.

They could easily run a deficit, without going into debt, which is what you're talking about.
Ya, fair enough. I guess it seems widely publicized to give the illusion that the PCs have somehow been completely irresponsible here. Obviously its a sign of the times that they had to dip into their reserves, but really thats what the money was for all along.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #96
RubberDuck
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Oh you Wild Rose supporters. You're a silly bunch!
Oh you PC apologists. You are such a gullable bunch!

Seriously, I was one of you until I took of the blinders. You PC kool aid drinkers have been drinking it for so long you didn't even notice they changed the recipe. And the colour!
RubberDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RubberDuck For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #97
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Mr Katz also donated money to the Wildrose. $7500, but money is money!

I also love the over-reacting on the first few pages especially by the OP who probably didn't even read her own link.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #98
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberDuck View Post
Oh you PC apologists. You are such a gullable bunch!

Seriously, I was one of you until I took of the blinders. You PC kool aid drinkers have been drinking it for so long you didn't even notice they changed the recipe. And the colour!
I'm actually not an ardent PC supporter or apologist. I was just smart enough to know at election time that the WR running this province was a FAR worse thing to imagine than another 4 years of PC.

But good for you!
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #99
Rerun

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iginla View Post
Mr Katz also donated money to the Wildrose. $7500, but money is money!

I also love the over-reacting on the first few pages especially by the OP who probably didn't even read her own link.
I suggest that Mr Katz probably felt he would get a bigger bang for his buck by donating the majority of his contribution to the PC party.... particularly since the PC were in such dire financial straits regarding campaign funding.

Not for a moment do I believe Mr Katz to be a diehard PC supporter.

P.S. Just to clarify, I'm not singling out Mr Katz. This practice is very common among the high-roller business community, where rules allow.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #100
Rerun

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I'm actually not an ardent PC supporter or apologist. I was just smart enough to know at election time that the WR running this province was a FAR worse thing to imagine than another 4 years of PC.

But good for you!
I like your crystal ball. I wish I could see into the future.
Got any good stock tips?