Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2010, 10:33 PM   #81
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Geez, sorry to hear about how this continues to go. It is supposed to be an enjoyable experience, but obviously isn't that anymore for you.

At least you aren't out any money right? Just the time and energy and stress?

Haven't bought a new TV since last year, but add me to the list that has 2 Panasonic Plasmas, a 42 and 50 inch. Nothing special, didn't even get 1080P (bigger price premium a couple of years ago, and I still don't have any 1080p inputs). But I love the TV's, great image and color. No issues with burn in. I was so happy with my first, I didn't hesitate to buy another last year. Would buy another again, but until my Sharp LCD craps out I can't justify it (not very happy with the image on that one).

BTW, keep in mind if you find a TV you like at Best Buy or something, buy it on a credit card that gives extended warranty. It doubles the warranty up to a year, so there is your 2 year warranty. If your credit card doesn't do that, get one that does--lots of no fee versions out there.

Good luck.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2010, 11:02 PM   #82
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Geez, sorry to hear about how this continues to go. It is supposed to be an enjoyable experience, but obviously isn't that anymore for you.

At least you aren't out any money right? Just the time and energy and stress?

Haven't bought a new TV since last year, but add me to the list that has 2 Panasonic Plasmas, a 42 and 50 inch. Nothing special, didn't even get 1080P (bigger price premium a couple of years ago, and I still don't have any 1080p inputs). But I love the TV's, great image and color. No issues with burn in. I was so happy with my first, I didn't hesitate to buy another last year. Would buy another again, but until my Sharp LCD craps out I can't justify it (not very happy with the image on that one).

BTW, keep in mind if you find a TV you like at Best Buy or something, buy it on a credit card that gives extended warranty. It doubles the warranty up to a year, so there is your 2 year warranty. If your credit card doesn't do that, get one that does--lots of no fee versions out there.

Good luck.
Nope, not out any money. With that said, the excitement is completely gone. I don't even want to go through the motions again, but I need a TV in the basement. My other is occupied 90% of the time and usually unavailable to play on.

My credit score is decimated because of an unpaid cell phone bill/termination fee after I became temporarily disabled, therefor no credit cards are available to me. However, I am now open to purchasing a set from somewhere other than Costco.

I am reading cnet and researching which is plain best for my money. Keep in mind this TV will be used for 80% gaming that will include extended sessions with HUDs and menu images. I have no HD inputs except my Xbox. Maybe one day I can afford to get HD programming.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:09 PM   #83
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I just couldn't bring myself to buy the Panasonic.

I am open to suggestions, informed ones please.
Boourns.

I'm going to suggest CP take up a collection for the "Get Yamer his TV Fund".

Have you looked at Soundsaround at all? The folks there are pretty knowledgeable and the prices are quite competitive. Although you're boned for a return policy there.

If you'll excuse me I'm going to play some Fallout on my Panosonic. And I'll make sure the HUD is turned up extra bright
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2010, 11:18 PM   #84
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I also own a Panasonic plasma. Frankly the color is breath taking...

Image retention or burn in is a complete non issue and a myth at this point.

Last edited by mikey_the_redneck; 11-05-2010 at 11:22 PM.
mikey_the_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:20 PM   #85
Mtt48
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Maybe you are hell bent on getting a plasma, but Samsung has a really nice 40" LCD (LN40C630), and a really nice 40" LED (UN40C5000). Both at Visions and you can talk them down like crazy usually. I bought the LCD one a while back. It was regular priced around 1100 and I got it for 750$. Really nice TV, built in mediacentre (plays .mkv's!!), etc etc. The LED is really nice as well.

A nice plasma will run you a lot of money. The cheap plasmas look terrible. You can really find nice LCDs out there nowadays for good prices.
Mtt48 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mtt48 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2010, 11:32 PM   #86
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_the_redneck View Post
I also own a Panasonic plasma. Frankly the color is breath taking...

Image retention or burn in is a complete non issue and a myth at this point.
False.

It has happened to me, no more than 2 months ago on a 2010 LG model.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2010, 11:34 PM   #87
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtt48 View Post
Maybe you are hell bent on getting a plasma, but Samsung has a really nice 40" LCD (LN40C630), and a really nice 40" LED (UN40C5000). Both at Visions and you can talk them down like crazy usually. I bought the LCD one a while back. It was regular priced around 1100 and I got it for 750$. Really nice TV, built in mediacentre (plays .mkv's!!), etc etc. The LED is really nice as well.

A nice plasma will run you a lot of money. The cheap plasmas look terrible. You can really find nice LCDs out there nowadays for good prices.
Had the Samsung 650 model...2 of them, actually. One had a dead pixel, the other vertical banding. Out of the 3 different TVs I have tried, it was the best looking despite having some serious input lag for games. Will not be buying a 3rd.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 11-05-2010, 11:34 PM   #88
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
False.

It has happened to me, no more than 2 months ago on a 2010 LG model.
LG's must be garbage. I have left movies and games paused for a number of hours on my set and have not experienced this.

I have had my Panasonic for almost 3 years..
mikey_the_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikey_the_redneck For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2010, 11:37 PM   #89
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
LG's must be garbage. I have left movies and games paused for a number of hours on my set and have not experienced this.

Everyone tells me Panasonic is great. Maybe I should just try it. I dunno, I'm so deflated over something so trivial.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 11-05-2010, 11:47 PM   #90
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtt48 View Post

I've heard this before, but don't know if it's true... the idea that lower-end LCDs are generally better bang-for-you-buck than similarly priced plasmas? I do know people who put big bucks ($3k+) into a plasma seem to then swear by that technology forever after. Unfortunately, dropping three grand on a television is out of the question for many of us.

One thing worth considering is waiting just a little longer to pull the trigger. I know very well how hard it can be to hold off, but we're quickly approaching the season of electronic savings!

From Thanksgiving thru Boxing Day you'll see a veritable smorgasbord of discounts, rebates and year-end closeouts advertised by competing stores. If you do your homework beforehand, focusing on the brand/features/connection/reviews/price you need, you'll be able to shop quickly and intelligently when the deals roll in. A little patience (and some help from CP) is all it should take to nab the TV that's right for you.

I get that you're frustrated... this stuff is too expensive to not work perfectly... but I assure you the right TV for you is out there.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:52 AM   #91
Mtt48
Scoring Winger

Exp:

^
I looked quite extensively at TVs in my price range (up to 1200$) for almost a year before buying. My experience was that about March the price on LCDs really started to nose dive as LED were becoming more prevalent in the market. The plasmas around 1000$ and under just looked really bad in comparison while some of the LCDs seemed to be a really good price point product.

It is really subjective though. What someone thinks is a good picture someone else may not. Who knows. I'm just really happy with my purchase.
Mtt48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:12 PM   #92
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Like other people in this thread, I've had a Panasonic plasma for quite a few years now. No noticeable issues with burn-in or ghosting. I use my TV for everything, too. It's the only one I have, and it's on for hours at a time. Movies, games, TV, music (from my Apple TV). I don't even baby it at all. When I bought it, I just set it up and turned it on. That was the only prep I've ever done.

I'm fairly certain this stuff has more to do with buying a crappy brand than anything else. It's very common knowledge that Panasonic makes the best plasmas.

Edit: Also, that bit about avoiding plasmas unless you have a super dark room is a bit whack, too. Just get the anti-glare option. Mine's in my living room beside a huge window that lets in a ton of light. There's also a window facing opposite in my kitchen that used to reflect on my old CRT TV all the time... no glare at all on my plasma. Any time of day.
Second best.

Pioneer FTW. The Kuro Elite to be specific.

I definitely prefer plasma and have never had any problems with burn in.

Panasonic probably is your best bang for your buck.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:28 PM   #93
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had my Sony plasma (they don't make plasmas anymore, so it's an older plasma) for a number of years now. Never any issue with burn in or anything like that. I think it's a great TV. I am big fan of plasma, especially for sports. I wouldn't hesitate to buy plasma again. In fact my next TV would be a plasma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevo View Post
Second best.

Technically Fanin80 is correct because I thought Pioneer doesn't make plasmas anymore.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #94
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
I've had my Sony plasma (they don't make plasmas anymore, so it's an older plasma) for a number of years now. Never any issue with burn in or anything like that. I think it's a great TV. I am big fan of plasma, especially for sports. I wouldn't hesitate to buy plasma again. In fact my next TV would be a plasma.

Technically Fanin80 is correct because I thought Pioneer doesn't make plasmas anymore.
Ya I suppose technically he is right and Panasonic do make great TVs. It's too bad Pioneer got out of the plasma business as I love my Pioneer.

Yamer, I think you would be happy with a mid range 42-50" Panasonic plasma. They shouldn't be that expensive. Just don't have the contrast high for first 100 hrs or so. Take a few minor precautions at the beginning and you will have nothing to worry about.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #95
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

No but they can still be found. From what I've heard, Panasonic bought the technology when Pioneer dropped out.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:14 PM   #96
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:

My LG 60PK550 is awesome. 60" Plasma. Very bright, deep blacks, great response time. No burn in, no issues. $1500 on sale a few months ago. I set everything to max brightness, vivid mode, tuned everything, etc. to the most vibrance and everything as well out of the box and have been watching it that way for a long time. Never baby'ed it. Like I've said earlier in the thread though, I've never played videogames on it for any length of time so I can't say if it will still hold for gaming. It's hooked up to an HTPC though so often the Windows GUI will be on screen for a hour at a time and there has been no burn in from that.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-06-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #97
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevo View Post
Second best.

Unfortunately Pioneer stopped making Plasmas but the Kuros were simply the best ever.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:56 AM   #98
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

on the kuros, the price was way more than most people on this thread could pay for; the one that my buddy had calibrated was amazing. it really showed what the technology could do. meanwhile, back in my real life financial world...

i bought the lg 47le5300 at costco on friday for 1249...and then online it was 1199! so i will be taking my receipt back because 50 bucks is 50 bucks. i haven't got it plugged in yet as i am just putting the mount onto the wall...but i will report back...

one thing to mention on this tv is that lg have been using 2 different screens. if you are interested in this one you MUST find the "w" class; they are the IPS screens which are much better. i was at futurecrap last night and for their calibrations demo section they were using the "d" screens because there was limited off axis viewing. at costco, the batch that i looked at were the "w" screens so i am happy that i got one of those.

i have to add that the 5300 class misses a few things from the 5400 or 7300, however with the costco return policy i will try the 5300 out and see if anything is amiss for me personally. i don't think it will be though...i hate being a return guy.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #99
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
on the kuros, the price was way more than most people on this thread could pay for; the one that my buddy had calibrated was amazing. it really showed what the technology could do. meanwhile, back in my real life financial world...

i bought the lg 47le5300 at costco on friday for 1249...and then online it was 1199! so i will be taking my receipt back because 50 bucks is 50 bucks. i haven't got it plugged in yet as i am just putting the mount onto the wall...but i will report back...

one thing to mention on this tv is that lg have been using 2 different screens. if you are interested in this one you MUST find the "w" class; they are the IPS screens which are much better. i was at futurecrap last night and for their calibrations demo section they were using the "d" screens because there was limited off axis viewing. at costco, the batch that i looked at were the "w" screens so i am happy that i got one of those.

i have to add that the 5300 class misses a few things from the 5400 or 7300, however with the costco return policy i will try the 5300 out and see if anything is amiss for me personally. i don't think it will be though...i hate being a return guy.
Wow, looking at the specs on that tv the contrast ratio is comparable to plasmas. I wonder how it would handle games. I seriously do not know what to buy.

I'm heading back to Costco with this poor excuse for a brand they call Vizio. The only reason they are the #1 brand sold in the US has to be because of price. The features are awful, and half of them don't work.

Gonna take another lap around the sales floor, play with some of the features, and do a little more research. Still paranoid about plasmas. I see that BB has a Sharp Aquos on sale for $500 off till the 11th.

Whatever I buy I am sure it will be junk or a faulty panel. So now it just becomes a matter of which faults I can live with.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 11-07-2010, 01:54 PM   #100
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post

IPS is the best for image quality, but isn't the response time and ghosting slightly higher for fast motion movies/games/sports?

One thing about plasmas is that you don't need to worry about viewing angle on them like you need to on LCDs.

Tags
image burn , image retention , plasma