Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #81
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
I've been thinking about the lockout affecting the draft and if they do the same format as last time we will get 3 balls in the lottery and the Canucks and Oilers will only get 1.

We would have a solid shot at MacKinnon! 7 other teams with 3 balls.

Only bad news in that scenario - surprise surprise we traded away our 2nd round pick already.
then we better hope we win the draft cause then our 2nd would be 60th since it would be a snake draft
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #82
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, having three balls still doesn't guarantee anything ... Buffalo hat three balls in 2005, but still fell to 13 and wasted their pick (some fellow named Zagrapan), while Montreal got a top 5 pick with only one ball and got an all-star goaltender in Price.

But yeah, would be nice to be lucky for a change ... and draft Seth Jones one can dream, right?
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #83
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

My proposed system is that all teams with 3 balls should pick no later than 7th, teams with 2 balls should pick between 8th and and a certain range, and teams with 1 ball pick after the teams with 2 balls.

I obviously like this better as it means the Flames would be guaranteed a great pick, but I also think it's a little more fair. It still has a lot of variation due to the lottery... all seven teams with 3 balls have an equal shot at first overall.

So:

Calgary, Carolina, Columbus, Dallas, Minnesota, Toronto, and Winnipeg all have an equal 14.29% chance at first overall. None would pick later than 7th. Range 1-7.
Anaheim, Colorado, Florida, New York (I), St. Louis, Tampa Bay all have an equal 16.67% chance at 8th overall. None would pick later than 13th. Range 8-13.
The rest would have an equal 5.88% chance at 14th overall. The unlucky team would pick 30th. Range 14-30.

I just can't imagine how devastated I would be to see a team like Pittsburgh win.

Last edited by Ashasx; 11-12-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2012, 06:47 AM   #84
Commandant
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My November Rankings come out this week.

Here is part 1, 1-10

http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/11/...013-nhl-draft/
Commandant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Commandant For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #85
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if Jones can make a realistic push for 1st overall ... he has the size (6'4 and 206) that makes scouts salivate, and his hockey IQ and overall game suggest that he has all the tools to become a dominant force on the blueline. Craig Button already has him at #1, but we all now that his lists are different. Only "drawback" is that Jones nearly a year older than MacKinnon and Barkov, what makes their accomplishments even more impressive.

While following Wotherspoon in Portland I noticed that Nicolas Petan is really lighting up this year (37 points in 22 games, has 6 points more than Rattie!). Small guy tough (5'9 and 166), but could be interesting to see where he goes. The Winterhawks seem to have a lot of small draft-eligible guys that score a lot ... Leipsic last year, Petan this year and De Leo next year.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #86
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
The Winterhawks seem to have a lot of small draft-eligible guys that score a lot ... Leipsic last year, Petan this year and De Leo next year.
Oliver Bjorkstrand (5' 11", 164) is another player of that ilk. He's made a pretty solid transition from Denmark and is looking more and more confident.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #87
Commandant
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Here is part 2 of the november ranks.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/11/...l-draft-11-20/
Old 11-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #88
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

NHL central scouting ranks:
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9530
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #89
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Martin Bobos. #1 ranked defenseman in Slovakia right now (after the current CSS rankings). The kid is 6'6" 223 lbs!

He's already the size of Breen and he's only 18. Holy crap.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #90
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would accept no season at all if I could be gauranteed the Flames got the #1 pick in the draft. I really hope if the year is lost Calgary gets a top 5 pick. MacKinnon would be an amazing player to add to this prospect group.

Also I think the last time around the 2nd round was reveresed so the team picking 30th picked 31st? If the Flames won the lottery and picked 1st they would give the Habs the 60th pick in the draft from the Cammy trade.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #91
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
Martin Bobos. #1 ranked defenseman in Slovakia right now (after the current CSS rankings). The kid is 6'6" 223 lbs!

He's already the size of Breen and he's only 18. Holy crap.
LW Tyler Hill in the USHL is also 6'6" and 225. Could be a potential top 60 pick.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #92
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I would accept no season at all if I could be gauranteed the Flames got the #1 pick in the draft. I really hope if the year is lost Calgary gets a top 5 pick. MacKinnon would be an amazing player to add to this prospect group.
I'd take no season for a top 5 pick. There's a lot of potential in the top end picks, and some excellent prospects far into the 2nd round.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #93
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
I'd take no season for a top 5 pick. There's a lot of potential in the top end picks, and some excellent prospects far into the 2nd round.
sign. I'd take no season for one of MacKinnon, Jones, Monahan, Barkov and Drouin.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #94
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
sign. I'd take no season for one of MacKinnon, Jones, Monahan, Barkov and Drouin.
Obviously if the Flames don't get a top 2 pick for either MacKinnon or Jones, I'd like them to get Barkov. Tenacity of a Fin, but the skill of a Russian.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2012, 06:45 AM   #95
Commandant
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Part 3, 21-30

http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/11/...ankings-21-30/
Old 11-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #96
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

We're all still mentally preparing ourselves for a mid 20's pick in a draft lottery right? Because that's what's going to happen.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #97
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

The rage I would have would be massive if the Flames ended up with a 20 something pick in the first round and the Canucks picked in the top 10 (obviously there being no season)
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:09 PM   #98
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Woodlief now ranks Jones and Drouin ahead of Mackinnon

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ember/1719797/

Tyler Hill is becoming a name I am also hearing a lot of buzz about. Could be this drafts Jankowski. Started the season off in a Conneticuit high school and signed with a USHL team a couple weeks ago.

Have seen his name rise up in some rankings from a 3rd round pick all the way to a 1st round pick in some lists. At 6'6'' and 225 pounds at 17 years old, if he has skills a team may take a chance on him

Last edited by sureLoss; 11-23-2012 at 11:27 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #99
FCAV
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
Oliver Bjorkstrand (5' 11", 164) is another player of that ilk. He's made a pretty solid transition from Denmark and is looking more and more confident.
We just featured Bjorkstrand. He's a dynamic young man having a really good rookie season as an import. He told me fellow Dane Nicklas Jensen inspired him to come across.

Quote:
“Nicklas Jensen is from my hometown so I look a lot up to him,” Bjorkstrand admitted. “He also went over here. That’s one of the reasons why I also made the move to go over here.”
http://futureconsiderations.ca/bjork...sh-influences/
FCAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #100
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
Obviously if the Flames don't get a top 2 pick for either MacKinnon or Jones, I'd like them to get Barkov. Tenacity of a Fin, but the skill of a Russian.
I don't know if that's a good way to describe him but he does look pretty good. He plays the centre position well at both ends, he uses his size to protect the puck, good hands close to the net, great passing, smart, low key - and he just turned 17 this fall. Acceleration isn't terribly explosive and I don't know how great his shot is further away from the net at this point. Seems like a Joe Thornton type in many ways.

Fun fact: he's been playing on the same line with Ville Nieminen this season.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Henry Fool For This Useful Post: