Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #81
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I don't know about cheapest but Another Dimension in Kensington on 10th st is pretty big.

I'm on book 2 of 100 Bullets right now. It is an interesting read. Starts off as totally random but then a pattern and big picture story starts to develop.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:15 PM   #82
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
DC Direct just released some new Batman action figures today and I want to get 3 of the 4 in the set. Where in Calgary would be the best (cheapest?) place to go?

I am looking online and I find Phoenix, Reddskull, and Comic Kazi. I am thinking to go to Phoenix (closest).
There's a shop in Crossroads Market that has every action figure under the sun. TONS of Flames ones too. There is a comic books store as well but not a lot of graphic novels. Lots of back issues though.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:46 AM   #83
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I loved the first 2 volumes of 100 Bullets I decided to buy some more.

I've never bought any comics off amazon.ca but decided to check prices there just to know what they'd cost. All were cheaper than US cover prices . I got volumes 3, 4, 5 for $32 with free shipping. Cover price US for all 3 is about $45. Amazon has free shipping and a $10 discount plus they were less than US cover price. No idea why they were $10 off some sort of promotion.

Pretty awesome deal. Justin did your books show up in good condition? I never order online because I'm always afraid my books will show up damaged.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:30 AM   #84
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

All of mine showed up in perfect condition. Glad I ordered from Amazon.ca as they were super cheap compared to buying here in Calgary.

I ordered enough that they were all packed tightly together so they didn't have the opportunity to move around, but they put that air bubble packet thing in as well to make sure they don't move around. Amazon.ca is the best for online stores in my opinion for having stuff arrive in perfect condition, always perfect.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:50 AM   #85
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

For figures you should check out Another Dimension. They have the largest selection by far.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:56 PM   #86
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I have been reading the Fables series lately and I have to say it is pretty effing good. I am still on the first issue, Legends in Exile (I'm on chapter 3), but it is some pretty cool stuff. Story is interesting and the art-work is cool.

I'm glad there are like 11 more books still.

I think when I finish the Fables series I will get into the Preacher series.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #87
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
I have been reading the Fables series lately and I have to say it is pretty effing good. I am still on the first issue, Legends in Exile (I'm on chapter 3), but it is some pretty cool stuff. Story is interesting and the art-work is cool.

I'm glad there are like 11 more books still.

I think when I finish the Fables series I will get into the Preacher series.
I just got a coworker of mine into Preacher. He went thru all 9 volumes in about 2 weeks. I guarantee you'll love it.

Sort of related story, I've had a few people ask to borrow my books but I'm always hesitant because I keep them in such good condition. I'm always afraid because some people treat comics like they'd treat a paperback novel. Folding pages, letting the edges get all torn and worn etc. I had to sternly warn my coworker that all books had to come back in mint condition and even then I only lent him book 1 and then after it came back in good condition I let him have the other ones.

Is anyone else this anal retentive? It's not even a $$ thing because I don't collect for monetary value at all and TPBs aren't really worth anything anyway.

I'm currently on break from 100 Bullets. Done vol 5 and I have 6 and 7 ready and waiting. The story is so intricate and yet offers quite a bit of variety because you get the individual stories but also the overarching storyline.

I'm now hooked on Amazon. Way cheaper than the comic book store and it only takes about 4 days to get here.

Right now I'm about half done the ultimate collection of The Ultimates (vol 1). I'm on about issue 6 or 7 of 13 and so far it is decent. I can't say I'm a huge fan of Mark Millar though. I've only read Old Man Logan and this but he's not exactly my favorite writer. He's not crap or anything but I've heard/read a lot of good about him and I'm not totally buying the hype.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 03-20-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:16 PM   #88
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm pretty anal when it comes to books. I want them to be in pristine condition at all times, no matter how old it is. Well, to be honest I am anal about everything staying in perfect condition no matter what product it is.

I got to second the amazon.ca comment as well. So much cheaper than comic book store/chapters, etc.

Usually like 30% off the printed price. Usually I buy 3-4 at a time so I get free shipping too.

Going to order another 3-4 volumes of Fables right now.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:34 PM   #89
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Is anyone else this anal retentive? It's not even a $$ thing because I don't collect for monetary value at all and TPBs aren't really worth anything anyway.
I often won't loan my books/tpb's out because I've been burned so often with things not coming back. Coming back in horrible shape. Coming back with dog eared pages. That sort of thing. I was taught that if you borrow something from someone, you return it to them either in the same condition it was borrowed in, or better (which is difficult to apply to books, I realize...).
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #90
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was given a book called Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard. I only flipped through it briefly and haven't had time to read it, but anybody heard of it?

Also, as for toys: I didn't see Chinook Hobby mentioned. They are sometimes worth a visit.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #91
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

They're not toys, they're collectables.

/16 year old Yeah_Baby
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #92
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
They're not toys, they're collectables.

/16 year old Yeah_Baby
They're not to... shut up.

/current Yeah_Baby
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #93
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just bought and read Joker. Got to say it was pretty good. Was a cool story as it was told by one of his goons. Really good compliment peice to The Killing Joke, which I think was better. Going to read through the 3 batman jeph loeb books now.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:48 PM   #94
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've been reading The Walking Dead, up to about issue 30 something now. It's a fantastic series.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #95
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Just bought and read Joker. Got to say it was pretty good. Was a cool story as it was told by one of his goons. Really good compliment peice to The Killing Joke, which I think was better. Going to read through the 3 batman jeph loeb books now.
Is that the one written by Azzrello? I've been meaning to buy that but when I went to the comic book store they only had it in hardcover.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:47 PM   #96
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Is that the one written by Azzrello? I've been meaning to buy that but when I went to the comic book store they only had it in hardcover.
Yeah, I got it at HMV as they have 25% off the back price, so it was $18 (only like 50 cents more than amazon) so it was a good deal. It was the hardcover though.

It's a good read.

Ordered Vol. 2 and 3 of Fables as well from Amazon.ca and the first volume of Sandman. Hopefully they get here by Friday.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:43 AM   #97
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Now that I am finished school I finally have had some time to read some of the comics I bought.

Finished 2 volumes of Fables over the weekend, and spent the last 2 nights reading "The Long Halloween". I thought I knew the ending, but nope!
Spoiler!

Now, onto Haunting Knight or Dark Victory, not sure which I'll read next. I also have Arkham Asylum to read, and I want to pick up the Hush series as well as the ones with Bane.

Saving Volume 4 of Fables until I can get some money to buy Volume 5-7. Sucks, because I love that series. Enjoyed the hell out of Volume 3, excellent story.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:03 AM   #98
sevenarms
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know about cheapest but Another Dimension in Kensington on 10th st is pretty big.

I'm on book 2 of 100 Bullets right now. It is an interesting read. Starts off as totally random but then a pattern and big picture story starts to develop.
It took 5 pages until 100 bullets came up which is one of my favorites. The story starts off a little all over the place but get's tighter as the series progresses. Everything and everyone are all connected and it draws you in. I couldn't read the second half of the volumes quick enough. Also Dave Johnson's covers are simply the best.

Anything by Mike Mignola is pure money. My other favorites include, Superman: Red Son, That Yellow ####### (the best of the Sin City's), V for Vendetta, The Dark Knight Returns, and the Losers. Almost forgot Planetary.

Scalped is a really interesting series. It's very dark and raw, if you want to read about how f'd up peoples lives can get take a ganders at Scalped.

Currently, I'm going through volumes of the Boys and Transmetropolitan. Transmetropolitan is hailed as Warren Ellis's best work, I think it's crap. The Boys is pretty decent. A little over the top but interesting for sure.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:46 AM   #99
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenarms View Post
It took 5 pages until 100 bullets came up which is one of my favorites. The story starts off a little all over the place but get's tighter as the series progresses. Everything and everyone are all connected and it draws you in. I couldn't read the second half of the volumes quick enough. Also Dave Johnson's covers are simply the best.

Anything by Mike Mignola is pure money. My other favorites include, Superman: Red Son, That Yellow ####### (the best of the Sin City's), V for Vendetta, The Dark Knight Returns, and the Losers. Almost forgot Planetary.
I'm on volume 12 of 100 bullets now and have slowed down because of Amazon taking forever to ship and being caught up with Game of Thrones.

Have to agree on the covers by Johnson. Damn so many of those would make beautiful art prints to frame and hang on a wall.

I'm going to have to pick up Red Son and Planetary.

Has anyone read Astro City? How about any of the Moore books from his ABC line? Top 10, Tom Strong, there was one other one too I think.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #100
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I had a buddy text me last night that he just read Walking dead. He wanted a quick list of good stuff to read.

If he follows my list he's gonna be at least $500 poorer. But richer in that he'll get to read some awesome comics.