Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2008, 06:52 PM   #81
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayer View Post
The Onkyo TX-SR506.

I feel like the salesman might have lied right to my face. I specifically laid out to him exactly what I wanted to do and what I had, and he told me this one would do everything I needed.
It's possible.

Sadly, it's an easily convoluted thing. HDMI is a complex technology and is still in it's early stages. The reciever you purchased will work just fine, as it will pass through video and audio - just not the preferred way. Unless you specified that you "need" (want) the "high def" audio formats I mentioned earlier with OilKiller's set-up, then separate audio cables will do just as good a job sonically as passing the audio to the reciever to the surround speakers via HDMI. It's just an extra -- annoying! -- step.

I feel for you man. I should've double-checked the components I was responding about before offering advice.

Last edited by OBCT; 09-10-2008 at 07:55 PM.
OBCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:56 PM   #82
Mayer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBCT View Post
It's possible.

Sadly, it's an easily convoluted thing. HDMI is a complex technology and is still in it's early stages. The reciever you purchased will work just fine, as it passes high definition video fine. Unless you specified that you "need" (want) the "high def" audio formats I mentioned earlier with OilKiller's set-up, then separate audio cables will do just as good a job sonically as passing the audio to the reciever to the surround speakers via HDMI. It's just an extra -- annoying! -- step.

I feel for you man. I should've double-checked the components I was responding about before offering advice.
No worries. I'm not sure if I ever specified which one I decided on.

So if I upgrade to THIS ONE, will I have the same problems? Or will this receiver carry both HDMI audio AND video signals and pass sound through my speaker system?

I am beginning to question the moral character of those who cheer for Vancouver.
Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:17 PM   #83
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
No worries. I'm not sure if I ever specified which one I decided on.

So if I upgrade to THIS ONE, will I have the same problems? Or will this receiver carry both HDMI audio AND video signals and pass sound through my speaker system?
It took me awhile to confirm, but the answer is yes.

As quoted from http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/article/mps/uan/1907:
"Alongside its recent new midrange launch, Onkyo has also unveiled two new budget home cinema receivers in the shape of the TX-SR576 and TX-SR506.

Both 7.1-channel models are 'simply slightly downscaled versions' of the more expensive models. Feature wise, each delivers seven channels of 130-watt power output supported by Onkyo's Wide Range Amplifier Technology (WRAT), with a trio of 1080p-capable HDMI v1.2a inputs and one output on the SR576, and a trio of 1080p-capable HDMI pass-through inputs and one output on the SR506."
Pass-through is bad. The article makes a clear distinction between the two models in this way, so you're good to go with the 576.

EDIT: In this link the author strongly implies the same thing. I am very certain that this reciever will do everything you need it to do.

Last edited by OBCT; 09-10-2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:46 PM   #84
Mayer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBCT View Post
It took me awhile to confirm, but the answer is yes.

As quoted from http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/article/mps/uan/1907:
"Alongside its recent new midrange launch, Onkyo has also unveiled two new budget home cinema receivers in the shape of the TX-SR576 and TX-SR506.

Both 7.1-channel models are 'simply slightly downscaled versions' of the more expensive models. Feature wise, each delivers seven channels of 130-watt power output supported by Onkyo's Wide Range Amplifier Technology (WRAT), with a trio of 1080p-capable HDMI v1.2a inputs and one output on the SR576, and a trio of 1080p-capable HDMI pass-through inputs and one output on the SR506."
Pass-through is bad. The article makes a clear distinction between the two models in this way, so you're good to go with the 576.
I actually decided on THIS ONE when I went to exchange the other one. It's probably overkill, but it does have 4 HDMI inputs in case I do decide to get another component of some kind.

And I'm happy to say everything works (at least as we speak). And I got a smokin' deal because the salesman led me astray in the first place.

I am beginning to question the moral character of those who cheer for Vancouver.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:17 PM   #85
WindomURL
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I actually decided on THIS ONE when I went to exchange the other one. It's probably overkill, but it does have 4 HDMI inputs in case I do decide to get another component of some kind.

And I'm happy to say everything works (at least as we speak). And I got a smokin' deal because the salesman led me astray in the first place.
Hi guys. I've been reading this thread with interest as I am upgrading my A/V stuff soon too. I think you made an excellent choice Mayer. In fact on the Electronichouse site OBCT linked to earlier (with the HDMI extender), they named the Onkyo TX-SR606 one of the Cool Components of 2008! link

I bet having that 4th HDMI input will come in handy sooner than you think.

Just out of curiosity, how "smokin'" a deal did you get? PM me if you don't want to disclose it in the thread. Thanks!
WindomURL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:43 PM   #86
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Every one who thinks these cables are lying should do the research. The reason some cables can't provide full 1080p or 160hz is because the transfer speeds are too low. 1080p picture requires over 4gbs per second transfer speeds. IE, an entire ipod nano 4gb in 1 second. If you can't move the data, you are bottlenecking the quality and therefore it suffers. Think of a two lane highway with rush hour Deerfoot traffic.

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm not saying buy Monster, I am saying make sure you can see the transfer speed ratings on whatever brand you buy, and if you can't they're probably 720p cables.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/field-not...ble-266616.php

Last edited by alltherage; 09-10-2008 at 10:55 PM.
alltherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:51 PM   #87
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

That's what I like to hear!

As Windom said, that extra HDMI input can't hurt. Now you've got yourself a component that does what you want, plus all the high quality audio decoding built right in. Not to mention all the other bells and whistles.

Have fun with it!!
Old 09-11-2008, 08:24 AM   #88
BaconGuy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Back to the Cable discussion, Monoprice today has a sale on a 6ft 1.3a Cable. $0.96

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Best part is, its only like $3.00 for shipping as well.
BaconGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:38 AM   #89
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

I should apologize as well to you, Mayer. I am not really familiar with Onkyo receivers and assumed it would do what you were asking.

I am happy to hear it worked out for you though.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:33 AM   #90
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Wow!

Awesome receiver!

I am jealous now, and I want one!!!
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:07 PM   #91
Mayer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindomURL View Post
Hi guys. I've been reading this thread with interest as I am upgrading my A/V stuff soon too. I think you made an excellent choice Mayer. In fact on the Electronichouse site OBCT linked to earlier (with the HDMI extender), they named the Onkyo TX-SR606 one of the Cool Components of 2008! link

I bet having that 4th HDMI input will come in handy sooner than you think.

Just out of curiosity, how "smokin'" a deal did you get? PM me if you don't want to disclose it in the thread. Thanks!
Well the sale price was $598, and he gave it to me for $400. I think he said the regular price of the receiver when not on sale was $689? I can't quite remember that, but then he also gave me a free 3 year extended warranty.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #92
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Wow, that's a great price for a 606!
Old 09-11-2008, 11:07 PM   #93
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Well the sale price was $598, and he gave it to me for $400. I think he said the regular price of the receiver when not on sale was $689? I can't quite remember that, but then he also gave me a free 3 year extended warranty.
Wow, that is a great deal. HAS to be below cost.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:11 AM   #94
Mayer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
Wow, that is a great deal. HAS to be below cost.
Yeah, thats what I was thinking. The guy felt bad and kept apologizing to me, plus I was a little angry at the time, perhaps I intimidated him somewhat.

The thing is awesome so far, except one little thing it keeps doing. When I'm watching something on my Blu Ray and I switch back on the receiver to watch TV when it's done, for some reason it goes to the AV1 source on the TV rather than going back to the HDMI1 that the receiver is plugged into. It's weird.

Also, the remote control won't turn on and off the receiver. I'm not sure why, it doesn't make any sense. Does it sound like i need another remote? Everything else works on it except the power.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:13 AM   #95
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, thats what I was thinking. The guy felt bad and kept apologizing to me, plus I was a little angry at the time, perhaps I intimidated him somewhat.

The thing is awesome so far, except one little thing it keeps doing. When I'm watching something on my Blu Ray and I switch back on the receiver to watch TV when it's done, for some reason it goes to the AV1 source on the TV rather than going back to the HDMI1 that the receiver is plugged into. It's weird.

Also, the remote control won't turn on and off the receiver. I'm not sure why, it doesn't make any sense. Does it sound like i need another remote? Everything else works on it except the power.
After the money you have saved buy Harmony One remote
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:14 AM   #96
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
After the money you have saved buy Harmony One remote
I picked one up at Costco just 2 weeks ago, and my life has been enriched because of it.

It isn't quite as life altering as the PVR, but it is a close second.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:13 AM   #97
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Just get the harmony remote.

I have the 880 and it works GREAT.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:55 AM   #98
Mayer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
Just get the harmony remote.

I have the 880 and it works GREAT.
Using the Harmony remote, do I have a need for any of the other remotes I have? What exactly does it control? It seems to me I'd still need to use the Bell PVR remote for TV purposes.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:00 PM   #99
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Using the Harmony remote, do I have a need for any of the other remotes I have? What exactly does it control? It seems to me I'd still need to use the Bell PVR remote for TV purposes.
Nope, it controls EVERYTHING. Well, not the wife, but...

Seriously, it works perfectly for everything I use. I had to add a macro for the PVR, but it is no brainer with the software they give you. I went from 4 remotes to one, and even my dad can use it!
Old 09-12-2008, 12:41 PM   #100
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
I have 6 remotes in a drawer, and my harmony one on the table

It controls everything, and setting it up is so easy. If when you have times when you need to get into adjusting setup on your receiver or something that you may not find immediately on the harmony remote you can always pull out the old dusty remotes, I've done that at most 1 time in the last 6 months.
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote