Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2016, 05:39 PM   #81
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
Not to me. I always took that as either as a Sith legend of long ago or a complete fabrication to manipulate Anakin. It never came off to me as him talking about what he did last week. If that was the case, wouldn't he know how to stop people from dying instead of have to discover the power together with Anakin as mentioned at the end of the movie. Didn't the apprentice in the story learn everything from the master? Also, if it just happened why would it be a story the Jedi know, but don't talk about?
I would expect that the master would never teach everything that he knows to his apprentice, because he's not just going to hand power over easily, in the end its a fight to the death to ensure that the apprentice is worthy.

Its the old kung fu movie thing to me where the master says that he will teach his student 1000 ways to kill a man, but there are 1001 ways, and that one way he may have to use on the student some day.

As well, because the apprentice does a lot of self study and exploration, its likely that he has learned things that the master might not know.

As far as Plagueis being Palpatine's master, I was looking in a book that my nephew bought me for Christmas called the book of Sith, which was published by Disney and Lucasfilm in 2014, so it might be part of the new Canon and it does label Darth Plagueis as Palpatines master in the forward written by Palpatine.

The problem with the book is while it does contain a lot of clone wars stuff and Bane stuff it also links things to Revan and some really old pre old republic stuff.

I'm not saying that its canon, but it is a Disney publication.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:42 PM   #82
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I would expect that the master would never teach everything that he knows to his apprentice, because he's not just going to hand power over easily, in the end its a fight to the death to ensure that the apprentice is worthy.

Its the old kung fu movie thing to me where the master says that he will teach his student 1000 ways to kill a man, but there are 1001 ways, and that one way he may have to use on the student some day.

As well, because the apprentice does a lot of self study and exploration, its likely that he has learned things that the master might not know.

As far as Plagueis being Palpatine's master, I was looking in a book that my nephew bought me for Christmas called the book of Sith, which was published by Disney and Lucasfilm in 2014, so it might be part of the new Canon and it does label Darth Plagueis as Palpatines master in the forward written by Palpatine.

The problem with the book is while it does contain a lot of clone wars stuff and Bane stuff it also links things to Revan and some really old pre old republic stuff.

I'm not saying that its canon, but it is a Disney publication.
Mystery Solved:
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:44 PM   #83
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Sorry I will stop, but this is amazing:

Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kavvy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2016, 12:01 PM   #84
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched EPVII for the 40th time, and I keep thinking that Snoke is Plageus. My theory is that he allowed Palpatine to kill him so that he could come back as a force ghost.

Just like when Obi-Wan said he'd be more powerful than ever if struck down, maybe Plageus intentionally become a force ghost.

The disclaimer here is I became a Star Wars fan in like 2014 so I am by no means an expert on this stuff.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:40 PM   #85
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I watched EPVII for the 40th time, and I keep thinking that Snoke is Plageus. My theory is that he allowed Palpatine to kill him so that he could come back as a force ghost.

Just like when Obi-Wan said he'd be more powerful than ever if struck down, maybe Plageus intentionally become a force ghost.

The disclaimer here is I became a Star Wars fan in like 2014 so I am by no means an expert on this stuff.
This has been my thought as well. CC claims that makes Palpatine a shmuck, but I'm not sure. He wouldn't have known of the force ghost sacrifice. The Jedi hadn't even discovered it yet.

If they wanted Snoke to be an actual force-user, it's one of the only ways it would make sense.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:47 PM   #86
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
This has been my thought as well. CC claims that makes Palpatine a shmuck, but I'm not sure. He wouldn't have known of the force ghost sacrifice. The Jedi hadn't even discovered it yet.

If they wanted Snoke to be an actual force-user, it's one of the only ways it would make sense.
Since CC is basically the go-to Star Wars guy on CP, he essentially made himself the Emperor over us without our permisson. I think he's become so powerful, the one thing he is afraid of losing is his power. That's why he keeps disagreeing with us apprentices on all the Star Wars topics

Should we kill him? I think we should. I get dibs on the blue light saber though.
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2016, 12:59 PM   #87
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Since CC is basically the go-to Star Wars guy on CP, he essentially made himself the Emperor over us without our permisson. I think he's become so powerful, the one thing he is afraid of losing is his power. That's why he keeps disagreeing with us apprentices on all the Star Wars topics

Should we kill him? I think we should. I get dibs on the blue light saber though.

Rebel!
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:12 PM   #88
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Ouch that hurts, but as a group I have to say that your confidence in your Friiends will be your downfall.

The only thing that I go back to (and yes it makes me a huge nerd) is that the Sith are terrified of two things and they're linked. One is losing their power, and the other is death, because Death is the ultimate loss of power.

Letting go of things is the core of the Jedi, they're selfless and thus sacrifice is a big part of what they do, they put others needs over theirs as well, which lead to Kenobi eating a light sabre.

What doomed the Jedi in the prequels and its interesting is that they lost their way. They decided to attack the Chanceller and literally seize power, they discussed purging the Republic Senate. They fought in a war where victory in battle became important, instead of bending to the will of the Force. They became Generals and Commanders and actively fought out conflict. If the Jedi had accepted that the Clone Wars was something that was political and not fought in it, Sideous' plan wouldn't have come to fruition;.

The Sith on the other hand are entirely selfish, they believe in gaining knowledge through power, or seizing what they want. They believe that only they as superior beings can rule the galaxy, Because they are selfish and aren't willing to sacrifice or let go, it should be impossible to willingly die and become part of the will of the Force which is what the Force Ghosts really are.

So in that aspect I was so glad that the EU was made non-canon because you had a billion angry Sith Force Ghosts running around.

So why would I think that Plageuis becoming a Force Ghost would make Palpatine look like a Schmuck? Because throughout the Prequels Palpatine was the ultimate plotter, he rarely picked up a light saber or threw Lighning. He manipulated his world and everything in it to get to the ultimate end, and to do that he used not only his incredible intellect and planning, but his strong ability to see through the Force to future events. So he would have known that Plagieus was still around because the Force would have been disturbed in some way by his master's presence in it.

Also and its interesting but even in the Revenge of the Sith Palpatine felt the Force change when Anakin betrayed everything to become a Sith Lord, it was as it the Force was announcing it. I keep thinking and they alluded to it in the Plageius book that the Force changed when Palpatine became the Dark Lord of the Sith.

Look, I know the argument that Palapatine didn't see his death coming at the hands of his apprentice. But Palpatine was like the Jedi during the Clone Wars. He had become arrogant and unchallenged, and the re-emergence of the Light started because of that and Palpatines ability to see through the Force became clouded. He actually alluded to it when he was talking to Vader about his son in ROTJ.

If somehow Plageuis had survived Palpatines plans, then Palpatine to me looks weak, he's also not the True Dark Lord of the Sith. The EU went out of their way to make Palpatine a complete bone head in every way. I'd prefer that the Palpatine leading up to the start of ROTJ was awesome and perfect.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2016, 03:41 PM   #89
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stop using your Jedi mind tricks to change my opinion.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:54 PM   #90
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You will get me a beer from the fridge.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:13 PM   #91
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
You will get me a beer from the fridge.
I think your tricks are broken. I got me a beer from my fridge.
Knut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:13 AM   #92
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Minor spoiler... nothing story related.

Spoiler!
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:26 AM   #93
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Ya, anyway, back to the Legends talk:

Quote:
No, that’s not a hoax you’re seeing above. An enterprising group of Star Wars fans has taken their campaign for more stories in the so-called “Expanded Universe” public in a big way with a billboard advertising in San Francisco.

Tech Times reports on the move in the hometown of LucasFilm, sharing that the group known as Give Us Legends raised $5000 online to pay for the advertisement meant to catch the attention of the Disney subsidiary who controls George Lucas’ galaxy far, far away.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:33 AM   #94
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Were there even very many ongoing EU series that were cancelled upon the Disney takeover? They must have specific titles in mind because there is plenty of Disney EU stuff happening. It's just not the exact stuff from before.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:36 PM   #95
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Were there even very many ongoing EU series that were cancelled upon the Disney takeover? They must have specific titles in mind because there is plenty of Disney EU stuff happening. It's just not the exact stuff from before.
I don't know if there were many that were just abruptly killed. The Fate of the Jedi and Legacy stuff were pretty much done and terrible.

There was some old republic stuff that I would have loved to see continued.

We got the end of the really good Bane Trilogy, I would have liked to have seen the Sith Lord stuff continued on with Darth Zannah that would eventually lead through all of the Sith Lords right to Plagueis.

The problem to me is that they've really lost the really good writers that had a great feel for the universe like Stover and Drew Karpyshin, and Luceno.

The authors writing the new books are awful. Aftermath was nearly impossible to get all the way through, Lords of the Sith was so terrible that I pretty much tossed it into a box in my storage room. Tarkin was surprisingly poor for a Luceno book. I just finished reading Twilight Company and in the end I was bored out of my mind.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:01 PM   #96
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are the games canon? Eg) KOTOR and Jedi Academy, etc?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:18 PM   #97
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know if there were many that were just abruptly killed. The Fate of the Jedi and Legacy stuff were pretty much done and terrible.

There was some old republic stuff that I would have loved to see continued.

We got the end of the really good Bane Trilogy, I would have liked to have seen the Sith Lord stuff continued on with Darth Zannah that would eventually lead through all of the Sith Lords right to Plagueis.

The problem to me is that they've really lost the really good writers that had a great feel for the universe like Stover and Drew Karpyshin, and Luceno.

The authors writing the new books are awful. Aftermath was nearly impossible to get all the way through, Lords of the Sith was so terrible that I pretty much tossed it into a box in my storage room. Tarkin was surprisingly poor for a Luceno book. I just finished reading Twilight Company and in the end I was bored out of my mind.
CC have you read Lost Stars? I found it a great read... The author also wrote the upcoming Bloodline. If Bloodline is half as good as Lost Stars I'll be very entertained.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:20 PM   #98
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Are the games canon? Eg) KOTOR and Jedi Academy, etc?
I believe the only things left that are canon are the movies, The Clone Wars animated series and Star Wars Rebels animated series.
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:22 PM   #99
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luder View Post
I believe the only things left that are canon are the movies, The Clone Wars animated series and Star Wars Rebels animated series.
And a few books and comics.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:24 PM   #100
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are the Zhan books Canon?
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote