Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2023, 10:49 AM   #81
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Look sometimes someone is just being a complete raggabrash and you have to call them out on it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 10:52 AM   #82
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
You earned the banning. Using the r-word shouldn't be allowed.
Okay, then don't use it. I will. I do in my normal life, too. I stopped for a while, but as soon as we weren't allowed to say idiot or moron anymore, either, I tapped out. #### it. I'll continue to use it.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 10:55 AM   #83
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Okay, then don't use it. I will. I do in my normal life, too. I stopped for a while, but as soon as we weren't allowed to say idiot or moron anymore, either, I tapped out. #### it. I'll continue to use it.
It's a slur. Stop using it.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 10:57 AM   #84
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Well, yeah. I used it as a slur. That's why I used it.
Old 06-27-2023, 12:16 PM   #85
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think I was banned from Reddit as well, only about 8-9 years ago. I can still log in, but I can't post. I've never cared enough to figure out what's going on, and I certainly didn't call anybody anything or deserve a banning with my half dozen posts

My suspicion is there were wonky log-in attempts at some point
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 01:12 PM   #86
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"It's a slur" and...? That doesn't mean anything. A slur is "an insulting or disparaging remark or innuendo".

Half of this message forum would be banned if using a 'slur' was deserving of being punished that way.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2023, 01:39 PM   #87
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I mean, okay, getting an account perma banned over it is a bit much but also, if you're typing out "the r word" instead of just saying it, you are obviously of the mind that it's a word you shouldn't be saying, so.... why are you shocked?

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 01:42 PM   #88
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

How the hell do you get banned from reddit? They allow a lot of bad shyte on there. Do you mean you just got banned from a sub reddit?
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 01:44 PM   #89
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Times change. Word use changes. The way it sounds in the world doesn't match how it sounds in our heads anymore. Just gotta change with the times.

No cap bruh. It's not TBT. The r-word is no way to throw shade, boomer.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 02:13 PM   #90
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wait, what kind of moron says that? Are they idiots or something?

I presume you mean Reddit only, or am I making grave mistakes using those words here? Because I gotta say, if you remove all the accurately descriptive words I have for Danielle Smith, I'm not sure where I go next.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 02:30 PM   #91
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's an interesting hill to die on in 2023 I guess.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 02:35 PM   #92
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
I mean, okay, getting an account perma banned over it is a bit much but also, if you're typing out "the r word" instead of just saying it, you are obviously of the mind that it's a word you shouldn't be saying, so.... why are you shocked?
Pretty sure if you type it out here, the infantile swear filter catches it anyway, so typing out 'the r-word' is necessary for his story to have any context whatsoever. Otherwise, he could have typed ######, but everyone thought he meant ######.

When first heard from the jump seat or in a simulator, the Airbus call out of "50…40…30…20…######, ######" can sound a bit odd. Numerous jokes have popped up. After all, who would want to fly a plane that insults its pilot?

The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines the verb ###### as "to delay or impede the development or progress of…to slow up, especially by preventing or hindering advance or accomplishment. For example, chemicals are used to ###### the spread of fire."

In the example of an aircraft, the thrust levers are moved aft to ###### the power produced by the engines.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 06-27-2023 at 02:37 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 02:42 PM   #93
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Well, I hardly feel like getting banned from two sites in one day, let alone from CalgaryPuck where I spend pretty much all day everyday. And like TorqueDog said...I don't even know if you can say it on here.

I'll try for science: ######

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
How the hell do you get banned from reddit? They allow a lot of bad shyte on there. Do you mean you just got banned from a sub reddit?
Yeah, that's what's insane/nuts/crazy (I think we're supposed to retire those words, too) to me. I've been banned from subreddits a couple times from overzealous mods (CrackMacs: I hate you), but this is a site-wide perma-ban. And believe it or not, I'm a pretty reasonable poster on there. There are some niche subreddits I like (I know that's everyone), but I'm a way bigger contributor than detractor. And the guy I called the bad word was being such a bad word that it was out of control he was even allowed to be posting anything at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Times change. Word use changes. The way it sounds in the world doesn't match how it sounds in our heads anymore. Just gotta change with the times.

No cap bruh. It's not TBT. The r-word is no way to throw shade, boomer.
I'd say the r-word is more Gen-Xer, but I'm not looking to throw Gen-Xers into the Internet's crosshairs, so I'll take the boomer hit. Xers have somehow been flying under the radar and it's amazing.
Old 06-27-2023, 02:47 PM   #94
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
I'll try for science: ######
Reported.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2023, 02:49 PM   #95
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I think with the rise of right-wing extremism (anti-gay, anti-abortion, pro-Christian) coupled with some on the left getting pretty uppity and quick to be insulted we may be heading back toward a more puritanical society. Or, at the very least, it looks to be getting more conservative in its values, which is so lame.

And the ban was for harassment. A guy felt "harassed" for being called the r-word by a stranger and some mod with enough authority to perma-ban a high-karma, contributive account that had been around over a decade agreed that it was "harassment." That's nucking futs. You'd think "harassment" would be triggered by some sort of pattern of behaviour or picking on a guy at least twice, which wasn't the case. One interaction ever with some dope and I'm a harasser.

It's not like it's that big of a deal. I'm already up and running with my new account and even back on the subreddit from which I was banned, but it's still a PITA and totally unnecessary.

Plus, like, are these mods on Reddit all friendless or something? My friends and I call each other f'ing r-tards all the time. Like, it's not even that insulting. It's just normal banter unless you're a total p-word, I guess.
Old 06-27-2023, 02:55 PM   #96
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
throw Gen-Xers into the Internet's crosshairs, so I'll take the boomer hit. Xers have somehow been flying under the radar and it's amazing.
"Boomer" could just as well be added to the CP blocked word list as far as I'm concerned.

I wonder if its use will die out along with the generation, or if it will last long enough for it to become one of the inappropriate slurs like the r-word.

Old 06-27-2023, 02:56 PM   #97
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dude, would you use that word around someone who has Down Syndrome?
Cause let's be honest here, when people use the word that's the association they are making.

You're insulting someone by referring to them with a derogatory term for another group, with the implication that the insulted person, and the group you are comparing them to are inferior.

It's a slur, plain and simple.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you haven't really thought about it and just say we can all be better, so give it some thought, and move forward and try to be a bit better by not using it anymore.

If you wouldn't call someone a F** or a H***, then you've already figured it out with other words/groups.
Both of those words have the same semantic arguments about "Oh well they are words that can be used in a non slur way", but if you're using it as an insult, you mean it as a slur.
This isn't any different.

Last edited by Bring_Back_Shantz; 06-27-2023 at 02:59 PM.
Bring_Back_Shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2023, 03:25 PM   #98
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's "H***"?

Old 06-27-2023, 03:26 PM   #99
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
what's "h***"?
h*m*

*=o
Old 06-27-2023, 03:29 PM   #100
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Dude, would you use that word around someone who has Down Syndrome?
Cause let's be honest here, when people use the word that's the association they are making.

You're insulting someone by referring to them with a derogatory term for another group, with the implication that the insulted person, and the group you are comparing them to are inferior.

It's a slur, plain and simple.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you haven't really thought about it and just say we can all be better, so give it some thought, and move forward and try to be a bit better by not using it anymore.

If you wouldn't call someone a F** or a H***, then you've already figured it out with other words/groups.
Both of those words have the same semantic arguments about "Oh well they are words that can be used in a non slur way", but if you're using it as an insult, you mean it as a slur.
This isn't any different.
I have thought about it and that's exactly how I'm using it. I'm equating somebody's intelligence with someone who is mentally slower/lower IQ.

Every insult is the same in this way. You call them something that sort of suits how they're behaving in a targeted attack.

Would I call somebody with down syndrome the r-word? Of course not; that would be horribly insensitive and mean.

The r-word is more general and colloquially just used as a disparaging remark against somebody who is acting like an idiot.

Is it your opinion we should just never insult people? What about if a guy is making an argument in support of Nazis and against a race of people, for example. Can you call him names then?

So I've been on CP for 14 years. If I called you the r-word, do you think I should never be allowed back? Are you so sensitive that a little insult hurts you that much that you'd want severe repercussions for me? Or are you just insulted on behalf of people with mental challenges?

Do you joke around with your friends ever and call each other names? My group chat is nonstop insults, basically. It's so normal to me. And it's not like my group is just trash or something. Bankers, teachers, O&G execs, business owners, etc.