Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2015, 11:32 PM   #81
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

This may have come up in another thread with Ferland talk, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't missed, so. . . .

Quote:
Flames general manager Brad Treliving revealed Monday that, when he was still working for the Arizona Coyotes, he tried to talk Calgary into trading Ferland. But his predecessor, Jay Feaster, turned him down.

“A lot of people who watched him play in junior knew he was a real unique package,” Treliving said. “There was a lot of work to be done, and he’s the one who put the work in. Where he was a year ago to today is a real testament to him. If you know where this guy comes from, it’s not been an easy road. You root for those kinds of guys.”
As they say, it's not just the shots you make, but what you leave.

Full article here.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2015, 11:34 PM   #82
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Sutter, Feaster and Treliving all agreed. I imagine so did Burke.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:48 AM   #83
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Very likely Hudler ends up in the top ten for league scoring. Besides Iginla who was the last Flames player to do that? Fleury?

And paying the guy $4 million per year... that was a masterstroke by Feaster.
Hudler was a good signing but we're lucky he's comfortable at RW otherwise he was just another of the dozen or so LWs that Feaster accumulated for that season.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:33 AM   #84
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

With the way the league has bent and fragmented the rules over the past few games, is it possible that the ROR offer sheet wasn't as black and white as some thought? Feaster may have been correct in his interpretation.
Rollin22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:50 AM   #85
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin22x View Post
With the way the league has bent and fragmented the rules over the past few games, is it possible that the ROR offer sheet wasn't as black and white as some thought? Feaster may have been correct in his interpretation.
The league said what would have happened and no one has seriously disagreed.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:19 AM   #86
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The league said what would have happened and no one has seriously disagreed.
The wording changed from the memorandum of understanding to the actual CBA. Jay's interpretation was reasonable, hence the change.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2015, 07:32 AM   #87
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Hudler was a good signing but we're lucky he's comfortable at RW otherwise he was just another of the dozen or so LWs that Feaster accumulated for that season.
So even Feaster's good moves are ultimately just luck? OK then
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:01 AM   #88
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm willing to bet Feaster would have won any legal challenges related to the Ryan O'Reilly offer sheet.

I still didn't like the offer sheet to begin with, but he wouldn't have lost the player on waivers IMO.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2015, 09:09 AM   #89
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Say you guys ignoring reality are right here.

Best Case Scenario, Calgary trades Sean Monahan and Keegan Kanzig to Colorado for Ryan O'Reilly.

Does anyone on this board do that trade?

Even if it doesn't blow up catastrophically in the face of the organization (which it most assuredly would have given what the NHL itself said), it's still trading Monahan and Kanzig for 2 years of $6 million Ryan O'Reilly.

Is that a good trade?

Is that a trade that anyone would make right now?

No?

Then I think we should probably stop giving Feaster credit for it.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2015, 09:11 AM   #90
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

You don't gamble with 1st round picks on "theory".

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:12 AM   #91
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey, we should debate the hypothetical fall-out of a non-trade AGAIN! That would be fun.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:18 AM   #92
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Say you guys ignoring reality are right here.

Best Case Scenario, Calgary trades Sean Monahan and Keegan Kanzig to Colorado for Ryan O'Reilly.

Does anyone on this board do that trade?

Even if it doesn't blow up catastrophically in the face of the organization (which it most assuredly would have given what the NHL itself said), it's still trading Monahan and Kanzig for 2 years of $6 million Ryan O'Reilly.

Is that a good trade?

Is that a trade that anyone would make right now?

No?

Then I think we should probably stop giving Feaster credit for it.
Although I want to agree with you, there is too many moving parts to make this a valid argument.

Hindsight allows you to extrapolate this but it is impossible to know what would have transpired. What draft position would we have actually surrendered, etc.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:20 AM   #93
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
I'm willing to bet Feaster would have won any legal challenges related to the Ryan O'Reilly offer sheet.

I still didn't like the offer sheet to begin with, but he wouldn't have lost the player on waivers IMO.
I'd take that bet in a heartbeat. First, the NHL commissioner is the decision-maker at first instance - essentially he's the arbitrator. A legal challenge to that interpretation has to be that it was an unreasonable interpretation, not incorrect.

Even Feaster never really seriously argued his position - they threw it out there as a face-saver, but any lawyer or other expert I ever read who looked at the argument said "nope, it's pretty clear".

Last edited by GioforPM; 04-21-2015 at 09:33 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2015, 09:24 AM   #94
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope Jay is enjoying this series in the sun with a big smile across his jolly face.

Thanks Jay, you tha man.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:27 AM   #95
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

13.23 In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs) only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the Playing Season, any such Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim.

I can't see the wriggle room.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:30 AM   #96
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
So even Feaster's good moves are ultimately just luck? OK then
It was a good move to sign Hudler. What I was getting at is that Feaster didn't seem to be able to put together a team. IMO it's taken his successors and Hartley to sort it out. This is where his inability to scout and evaluate players and determine our weaknesses and strengths came into consideration.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:01 AM   #97
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
13.23 In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs) only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the Playing Season, any such Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim.

I can't see the wriggle room.
There's wriggle room because the lockout put things into a bit of a grey area.

And also, who gives a flying raccoon? It was 2 years ago and didn't even happen. There is tons of evidence of Feaster on this team that is paying off huge right now, and all we ever focus on is this stupid scenario that didn't even actually take place.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:58 AM   #98
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

hmmm...

the way some people talk here, it ought to be a no brainer that some organization should sign him up for a GM role, or at minimum an AGM role?

gotta be a step up from being "executive director of community hockey development" for the lightning right?
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:04 PM   #99
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
There's wriggle room because the lockout put things into a bit of a grey area.

And also, who gives a flying raccoon? It was 2 years ago and didn't even happen. There is tons of evidence of Feaster on this team that is paying off huge right now, and all we ever focus on is this stupid scenario that didn't even actually take place.
Ummm, no a lockout doesn't change what a written agreement says.
Let's say there was a gray area though. Did Feaster check with the league? No. Is he suggesting that if he had and the league told him the position, he would have rolled the dice anyway and fought it in court? That's pretty dumb.

And I am responding to a post saying there was a chance it would have gone Feaster's way. In a fairly transparent attempt to minimize the huge gaffe (which I think was the keystone to his firing). Maybe take up the issue with the person who posed the question.

Finally, it was a scenario that DID take place. He made the offer. he just got his butt saved.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:07 PM   #100
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Super awesome discussion guys,

What about the Jankowski pick though?
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote