Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2016, 10:46 PM   #81
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Well than he's going to be a hold out.
Which has happened how many times since 2004? I genuinely can't think of another example.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2016, 11:12 PM   #82
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Johnny Gaudreau is one of the best players this franchise has ever seen, and he is, as of three days from now, barely 23. If the Flames and this superstar cannot find a deal because Brad Treliving is not willing to pay what Johnny is worth, then we need to be looking for a new GM. A holdout would be a disaster.
I don't know, dude. He's not at the level of Iginla, Fleury, Macinnis, Neiuwendyk, Mullen, Gilmour, yet.

I get that the economics of the game are different, but the Flames hold the hammer.

Monahan: 5.9 x 6
Gaudreau: 7 x 7
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:18 PM   #83
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
I don't know, dude. He's not at the level of Iginla, Fleury, Macinnis, Neiuwendyk, Mullen, Gilmour, yet.

I get that the economics of the game are different, but the Flames hold the hammer.

Monahan: 5.9 x 6
Gaudreau: 7 x 7
Were any of those guys 6th in NHL scoring their 2nd year in the league?
dino7c is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2016, 11:29 PM   #84
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm not knocking Gaudreau at all. He's going to get paid and he deserves it. As you see I'm saying 7x7. I'm just calling out the "best player the franchise has ever seen" comment. He hasn't even scored 50 goals in a season.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2016, 12:16 AM   #85
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Johnny Gaudreau is one of the best players this franchise has ever seen, and he is, as of three days from now, barely 23. If the Flames and this superstar cannot find a deal because Brad Treliving is not willing to pay what Johnny is worth, then we need to be looking for a new GM. A holdout would be a disaster.
The comments on the holdout were from an 8x8 offer. If BT is not willing to pay that he needs to be fired? Drink much?
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:22 AM   #86
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
The comments on the holdout were from an 8x8 offer. If BT is not willing to pay that he needs to be fired? Drink much?
Eight years and 64 million is a bit much, but if it gets down to the sides not being able to settle between 6 and 7.5 million, well, Brad needs to pay Johnny what he's worth, at least 7 million.

Of course, I have no insight into this and am speculating like everyone else. I would just hate to see Johnny hold out and strain his relationship with the club. For all I know, they could have already agreed. I just hope this is over soon and we don't have to worry about this for another eight years.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2016, 01:45 AM   #87
ThaBrink
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
I'm not knocking Gaudreau at all. He's going to get paid and he deserves it. As you see I'm saying 7x7. I'm just calling out the "best player the franchise has ever seen" comment. He hasn't even scored 50 goals in a season.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
He never said the best player though, he said one of the best, which I would say is a fair thing to say.
ThaBrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:03 AM   #88
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I never said Gaudreau was the best player in franchise history. At this point, that's an insane thing to say. Iginla, Fleury, Nieuwendyk, Lanny... even Nilsson could be ahead of him. But, I stand by my comment that Gaudreau is one of the best Flames ever. Heck, by the time he retires, he could be the undisputed best Flame in history. He has that potential, and deserves to be PAID.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:38 AM   #89
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Because Johnny is a bit of a late bloomer I think he's the ideal candidate for a bridge contract. Most players of his calibur are through their 4th or 5th nhl season at his age so they're most proven and closer to meeting UFA requirements.

From Johnnys camps perspective, we don't yet really know his ceiling, if he puts up a couple more top 10 scoring seasons, he's a 10 mil a year player in this NHL. Does he really want to lock in to say 7.5 for 7 or 8 seasons which is going to take him into his 30s and potentially miss out on a fair amount of money in his prime?

From the Flames perspective you can't justify a 10 mil salary based off just 1 elite season yet you want to keep his next contract negotiation under RFA status to maintain some control long term.

2 x 6.5, tell Johnny show me and you'll get paid.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:06 AM   #90
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
Because Johnny is a bit of a late bloomer I think he's the ideal candidate for a bridge contract. Most players of his calibur are through their 4th or 5th nhl season at his age so they're most proven and closer to meeting UFA requirements.

From Johnnys camps perspective, we don't yet really know his ceiling, if he puts up a couple more top 10 scoring seasons, he's a 10 mil a year player in this NHL. Does he really want to lock in to say 7.5 for 7 or 8 seasons which is going to take him into his 30s and potentially miss out on a fair amount of money in his prime?

From the Flames perspective you can't justify a 10 mil salary based off just 1 elite season yet you want to keep his next contract negotiation under RFA status to maintain some control long term.

If he is a late bloomer, and is going to keep getting better after placing 6th in league scoring, wouldn't a bridge deal be a disaster for the team?
heep223 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2016, 07:12 AM   #91
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I never said Gaudreau was the best player in franchise history. At this point, that's an insane thing to say. Iginla, Fleury, Nieuwendyk, Lanny... even Nilsson could be ahead of him. But, I stand by my comment that Gaudreau is one of the best Flames ever. Heck, by the time he retires, he could be the undisputed best Flame in history. He has that potential, and deserves to be PAID.
Fair enough. I misquoted you, but I still think it is a stretch to group him in with such a distinguished class based on two seasons. Potentially an all-time NHLer, but still just a very young player with a lot of room to grow his game.
Maybe I'm old school, but I'd like to see a conn smythe or an art Ross or two before I start calling him one of the best.
He's great, though and deserves to be paid. Maybe the bridge deal is the answer.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:32 AM   #92
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Which has happened how many times since 2004? I genuinely can't think of another example.
RoR and Johanssen both were holding out for deals. RoR singed an offer sheet to play again and Johannsen finally caved during camp (but look at how that relationship ended)

Gaudreau either needs to take a 4 year $20M deal or go 8 years for $60M (something like that)

The way I see it is pay Johnny over 7M per if he signs a max term
If he wants 7 years then I would look at the Gio cap hit for him
If he wants 6 years then I would be trying to get him under $6M

Monahan if he goes the full 8 cap him at the Gio cap hit
7 years I feel he can be paid $6.5M which still pays him more than MacKinnon, Barkov, Schiefele
If he wants 6 years than I am looking at under $6M as well
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:54 AM   #93
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Gaudreau's is gonna be huge. 8x8.
I think he is saying if you want me to stay in western Canada, show me the money. Otherwise I think he still wants to play out east, closer to home and that is added leverage to ask for big moolah.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:11 AM   #94
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Term doesn't come cheap - my prediction.

Johnny $7.0MM x 8
Mony $6.5MM x8
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:22 AM   #95
underclassman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Why is anyone guessing in the 8M range for Gaudreau? He's an RFA, and not eligible to sign an offer sheet.

Nobody is offering him 8M... why would we?
How would you know ,
that nobody is offering him 8M ????
underclassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:25 AM   #96
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underclassman View Post
How would you know ,
that nobody is offering him 8M ????
Well, we know for a fact that no one other than the Flames is offering him anything; him being offer sheet exempt and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2016, 09:33 AM   #97
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post

I think this might be more likely then some think. If you are Johnny you could put up a couple more top 10 scoring seasons then get paid. I don't know if he would want to leave all that money on the table. An 8 year contract now would be less money per year and take him out of his prime most likely.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:47 AM   #98
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

He could also get hurt next season and never play again.

There are concerns both ways.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:56 AM   #99
Flame19,289
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

#13: $6.8M x 5 years
#23: $6.25M x 8 years

The signing will be officially announced on 8/18, when the moon is full.
Bob McKenzie is the first to break news of the signing.
Flame19,289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:04 AM   #100
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I think this might be more likely then some think. If you are Johnny you could put up a couple more top 10 scoring seasons then get paid. I don't know if he would want to leave all that money on the table. An 8 year contract now would be less money per year and take him out of his prime most likely.
The one advantage is the exchange rate works in the Flames favour for the foreseeable future. Pretty much a 30% bump.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gaudreau , hurry up brad , monahan , sign already , stop thescorpion , summer blues