Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2022, 10:09 AM   #81
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I mean, a shopping cart wish list is nice I guess. But I can't see that happening.

[/I]
That was in response to someone saying a shared games doesn't have enough benefits from other levels of government paying for facilities.

I think a shared games has more pull for Federal funding, and I'd rather have things like an airport train link than a new bobsled track anyway.

Re-use of existing facilities for many sports (eg olympic oval, whistler sliding centre, etc) also would lower the risk or overruns.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2022, 10:23 AM   #82
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

I'd only be interested if there was more value in re-using the facilities. Have the host city host again 16 years later. The facilities should still be in good condition and there are plenty of stories of kids watching their heroes complete and then grow up to compete in the same city. But in sure the IOC wouldn't like it, not as exciting as a new location...
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 10:41 AM   #83
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
I'd only be interested if there was more value in re-using the facilities. Have the host city host again 16 years later. The facilities should still be in good condition and there are plenty of stories of kids watching their heroes complete and then grow up to compete in the same city. But in sure the IOC wouldn't like it, not as exciting as a new location...
I think this is a great plan, and makes the entire thing more sensible - each city that hosts an Olympics would host a second one, 12 or 16 years later (assuming they want to).

That would make a lot of the infrastructure spending more palatable, and a 2nd hosting would likely be an opportunity to be profitable.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 04:49 PM   #84
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the way interest in actually bidding for the winter games has been going, I think there's a very fair chance that IOC will just start rotating host cities. It'll be wise for Calgary to get in on this mix since it's in a great position to renew it's current facilities, and build some new ones that are needed anyway. Having those builds getting used in future games gives even more merit to the cost to get the done.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2022, 05:42 PM   #85
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
With the way interest in actually bidding for the winter games has been going, I think there's a very fair chance that IOC will just start rotating host cities. It'll be wise for Calgary to get in on this mix since it's in a great position to renew it's current facilities, and build some new ones that are needed anyway. Having those builds getting used in future games gives even more merit to the cost to get the done.
It’s essentially a billion for security each time more than the games cost that’s requested of the feds. Doesn’t seem like the best deal.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 11:35 AM   #86
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
It’s essentially a billion for security each time more than the games cost that’s requested of the feds. Doesn’t seem like the best deal.
If the rotation concept becomes a thing, the host cities may be able to get the IOC to chip in a fair amount for security. Costs is the main reason these bids are failing, and IOC's recent adjustments are not working - for winter at least.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote