Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2024, 08:50 AM   #81
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
Is this something that people still think? Attendance has been good for a few years now IIRC. This is from this year's playoffs and it was the same last year:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1785395024663908720

Regular season numbers are also top 10.
Coilers and Lightning are the only two teams without full buildings in the playoffs. Bahaha.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 09:12 AM   #82
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would Winnipeg sell out if had a 19K arena? I’m not certain of that. It’s Canada but it’s 5K more tickets to sell.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2024, 10:02 AM   #83
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Panthers were middle of the pack for attendance by capacity this year, but they do play in a large arena. Flames in bottom 4 BTW.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/friv/attendance.cgi

It's more of a comment that they are kind of fair weather fans. That place emptied out in the third, they weren't all in the lounge. Last year they were in bottom quarter of the league for attendance.. Pre covid they were at the bottom.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 10:20 AM   #84
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Panthers were middle of the pack for attendance by capacity this year, but they do play in a large arena. Flames in bottom 4 BTW.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/friv/attendance.cgi

It's more of a comment that they are kind of fair weather fans. That place emptied out in the third, they weren't all in the lounge. Last year they were in bottom quarter of the league for attendance.. Pre covid they were at the bottom.
Not sure how you are reading this. Sort the list by average attendance/capacity. The Panthers have 7th biggest capacity and 9th highest average attendance in the regular season.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 11:00 AM   #85
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
Not sure how you are reading this. Sort the list by average attendance/capacity. The Panthers have 7th biggest capacity and 9th highest average attendance in the regular season.
He's sorting by % of Capacity, which really isn't fair when you consider 14 of the top 15 in that category all have less seats to fill than Florida does. Not to mention Florida's avgerage attendance of 18,632 is higher than the entire capacity of all but 6 of those arenas.

They actually talked about it during the broadcast, that Florida's attendance has been through the roof since last year's playoff run. If anyone's gonna fault "winning" for having people show up to hockey games in a sub-tropical state, I mean... that's kinda like blaming dark clouds for rain. Like, no kidding.
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2024, 11:25 AM   #86
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

These averages are unfair in lots of markets...like Calgary shouldn't be counting the press level and then you factor the price of tickets, local economy, ect. It's not really a fair way to judge team support.

As for the Panthers good on them for turning it around...based largely on success on the ice but I do wonder what happens when they are average or poor again. It was maybe 10 years ago they used to give away tickets. LOSING lottery tickets could be exchanged for 2 seats. I went to a game on vacation and it was half full despite free tickets. That would never happen here.

I can go buy a ticket to game 2 in Florida right now on ticketmaster for $73
Edmonton game 3 the cheapest ticket is $355

its apples and oranges

Last edited by dino7c; 05-07-2024 at 11:31 AM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 11:32 AM   #87
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah no one is faulting fans for showing up when the team is winning. Just suggesting it is a very recent phenomenon for that franchise. Let’s see if it lasts when they’re not coming off a Finals appearance.

I ageee %capacity is not perfect. Nor is total attendance.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 11:41 AM   #88
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
It’s almost like winning and attendance numbers have a direct relationship. Fairweather fans, because they’re everywhere, only want to go to games when their local team is good.
Hockey is more ingrained in Canadian culture and there's less here to do in the winter so there's going to be higher attendance floor in most Canadian markets compared to USA. That said Canadian fans aren't immune to apathy when their teams have long runs of losing or mediocrity. We are seeing it in Calgary and Winnipeg.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 11:43 AM   #89
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Hockey is more ingrained in Canadian culture and there's less here to do in the winter so there's going to be higher attendance floor in most Canadian markets compared to USA. That said Canadian fans aren't immune to apathy when their teams have long runs of losing or mediocracy. We are seeing it in Calgary and Winnipeg.
In Winnipeg is cost that is the problem...if they had $35 tickets like Florida they would sell out every game obviously.

Canadian markets are charing 4x the price and at some point the average Joe can't or doesn't want to go to a game. Jets supposedly didn't sell out but they had thousands in the streets watching it on a big TV. That is also why we have such a corporate crowd.
Old 05-07-2024, 11:43 AM   #90
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
As for the Panthers good on them for turning it around...based largely on success on the ice but I do wonder what happens when they are average or poor again. It was maybe 10 years ago they used to give away tickets. LOSING lottery tickets could be exchanged for 2 seats. I went to a game on vacation and it was half full despite free tickets. That would never happen here.
That actually did happen:

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...3720--nhl.html

butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 11:48 AM   #91
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
That actually did happen:
Yes, we know it happened. That's literally why he said it happened.
Old 05-07-2024, 11:50 AM   #92
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually went to a game under that program haha so I know its real

"No word on whether they will also take buttons, feathers, shoelaces, hugs, or cut-up of bits of sponge."

no that's not me with the bandana

I'm the one on the right
Old 05-07-2024, 11:51 AM   #93
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Yes, we know it happened. That's literally why he said it happened.
I'm pretty shocked a major league team would actually do that, so I looked it up.

I wish I could go grab some losing lottery tickets off the ground here and get hockey tickets.
Old 05-07-2024, 11:52 AM   #94
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
uh,
lol. Yeah, 'we' as in all of the people in this thread who are cheering for FLA to win.

Clarity
- If CGY is playing anyone (including FLA), I cheer for CGY (except for the final 7 games after being eliminated from playoff contention, in which case I cheer for a higher draft pick).
- If FLA is playing anyone (except for CGY), I cheer for FLA.
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2024, 12:03 PM   #95
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm pretty shocked a major league team would actually do that, so I looked it up.

I wish I could go grab some losing lottery tickets off the ground here and get hockey tickets.
When you see how the NHL handled Arizona all those years its not that shocking
Old 05-07-2024, 12:13 PM   #96
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We are talking about the team that banned people with Canadian credit cards from buying tickets last year when they played the Leafs. They seem insecure.
Old 05-07-2024, 12:17 PM   #97
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah they should ask for winning lottery tickets, those are much better.
Old 05-07-2024, 01:27 PM   #98
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
We are talking about the team that banned people with Canadian credit cards from buying tickets last year when they played the Leafs. They seem insecure.
I mean, Miami is a major tourist destination, and they wanted to make sure their own fans could attend the game.

I get it, it's weird but somewhat understandable.

Also, you used to be able to get a free pop and a hotdog at the game when you bought a $20 nosebleed ticket to a Flames game. We used to get 10K people in our 19K arena during the Young Guns era.
Old 05-07-2024, 01:28 PM   #99
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Yeah they should ask for winning lottery tickets, those are much better.
Best part would be all the stoned spring breakers happliy doing that.
Old 05-08-2024, 12:04 AM   #100
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL. Tampa used to sell season tickets for like $50 or $60 if you bought a case of Pepsi! hahahaha.

How can you blame the people in Miami. There is literally 1000 things better to do than watch crappy NHL hockey in May.