Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 12:18 PM   #9961
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????
Are you saying that as an NHL owner you'd be OK paying guys millions of dollars to stay home (buy outs of current roster players, and outstanding balances of buyouts was the topic)?

And as a fan, are you saying that you are 100% confident in KK/BB's ability to install an identity and BT's ability to re-architect the roster?

I'm not. Players and coaches keep coming and going and the results are always pretty much the same.

Before we start trading away Hamilton, Brodie, Gaudreau etc. I'd like there to be a regime change.

Admittedly I am throwing out a bunch of names, but whatever.

I'd fix the organization's front office before speculating on any trades, that's the low hanging fruit right now.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:24 PM   #9962
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

based on the 31 thoughts tab I looked up those two players.
Have to think that with the lack of picks the flames had last year and this year we are a great opportunity for prospects to sign with.
Assuming that the kids sign, what would the panthers and hurricanes want for them considering they get nothing if they go back into the draft?

Adam Mascherin - little small and regressed this year
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=240112
Give him a chance but would not pay much for his rights.

Hudson Elynuik - huge kid that is showing improvement every year
Has potential but is still just over a point per game player

Neither is probably worth more than a fifth round pick, but would the other teams want them?

on the same sort of vein - cant remember the name - but there is a 22 year old Finnish winger that has some scoring upside that is not drafted. Was shown in THN FW this year. Would like to see if the flames could sign him.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:30 PM   #9963
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Are you saying that as an NHL owner you'd be OK paying guys millions of dollars to stay home (buy outs of current roster players, and outstanding balances of buyouts was the topic)?

And as a fan, are you saying that you are 100% confident in KK/BB's ability to install an identity and BT's ability to re-architect the roster?

I'm not. Players and coaches keep coming and going and the results are always pretty much the same.

Before we start trading away Hamilton, Brodie, Gaudreau etc. I'd like there to be a regime change.

Admittedly I am throwing out a bunch of names, but whatever.

I'd fix the organization's front office before speculating on any trades, that's the low hanging fruit right now.
That's not what I'm saying at all.

I don't like Ken King. I don't like Brian Burke. But I can't tell if you are being serious with their suggested replacements.

I think the biggest problem with this team, and perhaps it has been like this for a decade or longer, is the constant changes to management. Nobody can ever see their plan through, or even be trusted to see their plan through, if they are worried about losing their job if they don't succeed.

What has Lanny ever done to make you think he'd be a good CEO for any NHL team? Why do you think an amateur scout would be a good choice for a general manager?
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2018, 12:31 PM   #9964
hansmoleman
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutout View Post
based on the 31 thoughts tab I looked up those two players.
Have to think that with the lack of picks the flames had last year and this year we are a great opportunity for prospects to sign with.
Assuming that the kids sign, what would the panthers and hurricanes want for them considering they get nothing if they go back into the draft?

Adam Mascherin - little small and regressed this year
Give him a chance but would not pay much for his rights.

Hudson Elynuik - huge kid that is showing improvement every year
Has potential but is still just over a point per game player

Neither is probably worth more than a fifth round pick, but would the other teams want them?

on the same sort of vein - cant remember the name - but there is a 22 year old Finnish winger that has some scoring upside that is not drafted. Was shown in THN FW this year. Would like to see if the flames could sign him.
I live in Kitchener and am enjoying the Rangers playoff run this year. Mascherin is a big part of it and a fan favourite. I would love the Flames to pick him up.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:32 PM   #9965
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I think the Flames would deal one of Brodie/Hamonic and Bennett/Jankowski for O'Reilly. Maybe a prospect too.

I think in that case you shy away from a more top-end winger in favour of a guy like Perron or Vanek -- guys who can still easily score 50 points but who aren't necessarily long-term solutions -- and run this:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Vanek/Perron
Tkachuk - O'Reilly - Ferland/Foo
Bennett/Jankowski - Backlund - Frolik
Lazar/Versteeg/whoever - Shore - Ferland/Foo

Adding, say, O'Reilly and Vanek while taking away Bennett instantly adds like 75 points to this roster. I think it makes the Flames look much more dangerous
Let’s be real Hamonic is not going anywhere.

I think we lose either combination of deals up there but then again I am probably higher on Jankowski and Bennett than most.

If the Sabres war $2M of the cap hit on RoR then those are reasonable offers.

Personally I rather move Dougie for a Nylander type player than Brodie/Hamonic+Bennett/Janko for RoR
Old 04-12-2018, 12:45 PM   #9966
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

nm...misread
Old 04-12-2018, 01:16 PM   #9967
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
FYP.

No he wasn't great this season but he was battling one thing or another almost all year.

Not an excuse necessarily but certainly a reason for the drop off.
Injuries may well be a reason and as you say, it's not an excuse.

Flames may need a better version of Frolik next season, no doubt.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:58 PM   #9968
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
That's not what I'm saying at all.

I don't like Ken King. I don't like Brian Burke. But I can't tell if you are being serious with their suggested replacements.

I think the biggest problem with this team, and perhaps it has been like this for a decade or longer, is the constant changes to management. Nobody can ever see their plan through, or even be trusted to see their plan through, if they are worried about losing their job if they don't succeed.

What has Lanny ever done to make you think he'd be a good CEO for any NHL team? Why do you think an amateur scout would be a good choice for a general manager?
Oh, yeah those were crazy suggestions.

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...postcount=1532

TLDR: I'm worried about the trades that might come and how badly they might set us back.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:47 PM   #9969
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Let’s be real Hamonic is not going anywhere.

I think we lose either combination of deals up there but then again I am probably higher on Jankowski and Bennett than most.

If the Sabres war $2M of the cap hit on RoR then those are reasonable offers.

Personally I rather move Dougie for a Nylander type player than Brodie/Hamonic+Bennett/Janko for RoR
Agree with most of what you're saying here, but I would prefer;

Brodie + Jankowski / RoR

The morning show guys have been talking about it for a while, Brodie looks like he needs a change of scenery. I completely agree, how else do you explain his drop in play right in the middle of his prime? He looks like he has checked out. It's probably best for both sides he move on.

The Sabres need D in a big way & they're an organization and dan base that wants to see improvement. They need guys who can step in and contribute. Getting raft picks for RoR (who also looks like a change in scenery would do him well) isn't the MO I suspect.

Given RoR has 7 mill per remaining for 5 years, I would also ask for a pick as well.

This deal makes sense for both sides.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:19 PM   #9970
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post

Brodie + Jankowski / RoR

The morning show guys have been talking about it for a while, Brodie looks like he needs a change of scenery. I completely agree, how else do you explain his drop in play right in the middle of his prime? He looks like he has checked out. It's probably best for both sides he move on.

The Sabres need D in a big way & they're an organization and dan base that wants to see improvement. They need guys who can step in and contribute. Getting raft picks for RoR (who also looks like a change in scenery would do him well) isn't the MO I suspect.

Given RoR has 7 mill per remaining for 5 years, I would also ask for a pick as well.

This trade makes no sense.

RoR is a slight upgrade on Backlund. You are proposing trading a top four d and player who might eventually be another RoR for him.

Let’s overpay for another loser who had 13 post season games.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:21 PM   #9971
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
This trade makes no sense.

RoR is a slight upgrade on Backlund. You are proposing trading a top four d and player who might eventually be another RoR for him.

Let’s overpay for another loser who had 13 post season games.
Nice
Old 04-12-2018, 04:21 PM   #9972
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

RoR is a well rounded player but come next season he is 28.

If Jankowski takes another step, the offense between RoR and Jankowski is small.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:26 PM   #9973
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
RoR is a well rounded player but come next season he is 28.

If Jankowski takes another step, the offense between RoR and Jankowski is small.
That is a good problem to have.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:26 PM   #9974
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
Nice
Maybe poor choice of word on my part. My point:

What has he won?

He is player on two historically bad teams.

What else does he have to do to be a loser in your books?

This team needs players who know how to win, who can instill whatever work ethic and drive is necessary to be a winner. To show up when it matters.

Smarmy comments in the press when you decide you want out of town is not leadership nor is it a winner’s behaviour.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:33 PM   #9975
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah... we'd be better off ditching losers like Giordano too...

i mean only 8 playoff games at 35 and 755 regular games played?

deadbeat
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2018, 04:41 PM   #9976
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
yeah... we'd be better off ditching losers like Giordano too...

i mean 8 playoff games at 35 and 755 regular games played?

deadbeat
So you were saying that Ryan O’Reilly is as good as Mark Giordano? You are making the case that their leadership abilities are comparable?

Do you understand context?

What you just posted and what I posted are not the same thing at all.

We are talking about adding missing things to the Flames. Or are we just swapping people for the sake of change?

If we are trying to make this team better we should be looking to add player/s in the well-defined holes this roster needs filling, who also happen to have the ingredient this team was missing when the games mattered most.

I don’t hold Gios lack of cups against him. But he also happens to be well regarded in the entire league as one of the best leaders. He’s often cited as an incredible role model. I don’t see how he’s in anyway comparable to Ryan O’Reilly.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:46 PM   #9977
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe poor choice of word on my part. My point:

What has he won?

He is player on two historically bad teams.

What else does he have to do to be a loser in your books?

This team needs players who know how to win, who can instill whatever work ethic and drive is necessary to be a winner. To show up when it matters.

Smarmy comments in the press when you decide you want out of town is not leadership nor is it a winner’s behaviour.
not sure how you can fault an individual for a teams performance. Bare in mind we're talking about Buffalo. Context matters.

He's the league leader in face offs and has lead the league in takeaways. He's won two world championships, that shouldn't be ignored in this discussion. He plays in all situations.

Further pairing him with Tkachuck, I think, would be a terrific pairing and it allows the Flames to put Backlund & Frolik on your third line (where they should be) with Bennett (where he should be).

All the sudden, the flames have three strong lines. A few tweaks to this rest of your roster and a new coaching staff (bill peters)....

Last edited by TOfan; 04-12-2018 at 04:50 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2018, 04:59 PM   #9978
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Flames biggest issues as a team right now is depth on forward and draft picks

I like O'Reilly but trading 2 good players who combined make around 5 million for 1 better player who makes over 7 mil doesn't make sense to me unless we get a good prospect or picks

They would also be trading 2 younger players for 1 older player. 1 of Bennett or Jankowski in the deal who are both RFA's after their contracts are up and neither will demand huge money their next contracts (unless Bennett has a good year next year)

IMO this trade hurts the cap situation and doesn't improve the team unless Treliving picks up a top 4 dman. I'd rather not give up assets and sign a player like Kane and trade Stone for a pick to make room for Anderson. Only way I'd take O'Reilly is if 1 of Brodie, Bennett or Jankowski were the main pieces going back with a good prospect. Preferably Jankowski as he would be a 4th liner behind O'Reilly, Backlund and Monahan
The Following User Says Thank You to Macho0978 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2018, 05:01 PM   #9979
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

My personal opinion is to start with changing Burke. He's simply too strong a personality and IMO, his personality influences Treliving's decisions. Most people tend to say that he has autonomy to do what he wants, but have you ever worked in a corporation where that's 100% true? You have to buy into the philosophy from above, so if your strategy doesn't align with that philosophy, you can't do what you fully want to. While I was a Burke believer in the past, I've come to see that his brand of hockey is outdated, with more of a need for the speed/skill combo. If you can get guys who can do that and play defence, perfect. But this insistence on guys like Brouwer who are neither here or there or keeping Stewart, Versteeg or Lazar on the roster shows a love for "truculence" at any cost (skill or hockey sense). That philosophy has to change only from the top, and as long as that keeps happening, we will likely see the same results. I do think for the most part Treliving has shown himself to be a smart negotiator, so I have no problem keeping him on. But there are definitely changes needed to get him to bring in more speed and hockey sense for this team to get better. Replace those guys above with the odd smart vet (Justin Williams) and give a few roster spots to recent draft picks to sink or swim. I don't believe in scrapping the team totally and going young, but you gotta give those guys time to develop. Get a coach too, who can work with young guys and push them, not baby. Anyway, it's frustrating to see this recently.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:50 PM   #9980
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post

Brodie + Jankowski / RoR

Brodie’s drop in play is because of him being asked to switch sides 2 years ago. I have said this before.... compare him to an offensive lineman in football or a switch hitter in baseball... they are always stronger on one side then the other. Blame coaching on this on is my opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to rhino For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread