Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 04:04 PM   #9961
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
I think you are baking in the Brad factor there. Under a NHL GM you could get more for a 3.38 million dollar a year Johnny Gaudreau.
3.38 for one more year
I think people are over estimating the potential return
So no not factoring what you call the Brad factor
Old 03-27-2021, 04:14 PM   #9962
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
you know what? hate edmonton all you want, but covid jokes are not funny.
you do know people are still ####ing dying from it every single day, don't you?

including friends and family of people that post on this board.
covid shouldn't be a punchline for a bad joke.

Ugh, really? Can we not get through just one day with out someone jumping up on the virtue signalling soap box? The guy was clearly joking. Maybe not ideal in taste these days, but it's not racist, not misogynistic, and nobody's been hurt. I'm sure people affected personally are probably not so seriously thin skinned or sensitive to see it was attempted humour.

My goodness man, this kind of thing is getting so ridiculous anymore.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:23 PM   #9963
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoverit View Post
Ryan was a good signing. having said that.
He is expensive 4th liner. the guys old albeit not much mileage on hime. H is taking up a spot, time to get some young blood in
He wouldn't be taking anyone's spot next season. You sign him to a 2 year deal for ~2.5-3M and put two rookies on the wings.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:39 PM   #9964
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
Nick Robertson is a good prospect but one that I think gets overrated. I would prefer Amirov from the Leafs over him in all honesty
I would be a little apprehensive. Same size as Gaudreau, and while Gaudreau panned out, he is more of an exception to the rule. Robertson may pan out too, but it's a little risky. Also, an American from Los Angeles might not want to play in a Canadian small market for long. Again, not a given, but another risk. That's two pretty big risks IMO.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:56 PM   #9965
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
He wouldn't be taking anyone's spot next season. You sign him to a 2 year deal for ~2.5-3M and put two rookies on the wings.
Yes, even if you call up rookies, you want someone like Ryan with them. Since he came back, the 4th line has been pretty much no problem. He’s perfect to use in a mentor role.
Old 03-27-2021, 05:18 PM   #9966
getoverit
Scoring Winger

Exp:

That’s still way too much money especially 35 yr old 4th liner

Maybe 1-1.5mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Old 03-27-2021, 05:37 PM   #9967
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Ugh, really? Can we not get through just one day with out someone jumping up on the virtue signalling soap box? The guy was clearly joking. Maybe not ideal in taste these days, but it's not racist, not misogynistic, and nobody's been hurt. I'm sure people affected personally are probably not so seriously thin skinned or sensitive to see it was attempted humour.

My goodness man, this kind of thing is getting so ridiculous anymore.
As someone who had a good friend die Thursday from covid, I am thin skinned enough to be pissed off by any Jokes about giving people covid.

So screw your outrage at my taking offense.
Maybe think about others before making a joke in poor taste or getting your high horse when someone is offended by it.

Do you think cancer jokes are also funny? Hey, no one's getting hurt, right?

Last edited by GordonBlue; 03-27-2021 at 05:39 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2021, 05:41 PM   #9968
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Considered one of the top prospects in the nhl by many and nearly nhl ready
You aren’t going to do much better than that
By whom? He is an undersized forward who is not exactly lighting it up since turning pro. He is basically a worse version of Gaudreau. A soft small player with a decent shot, I have not heard anyone say he is one of the best prospects in the NHL. If he is so good why is he not playing for the Leafs who have been looking for depth scoring? Your proposal was Robertson who is a very questionable prospect, Kerfoot whom the Leafs have been trying to cap dump and would give away at this point, and a very late 1st. For one of the most electrifying wingers in the NHL you don't like. It's terrible.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2021, 05:47 PM   #9969
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
By whom? He is an undersized forward who is not exactly lighting it up since turning pro. He is basically a worse version of Gaudreau. A soft small player with a decent shot, I have not heard anyone say he is one of the best prospects in the NHL. If he is so good why is he not playing for the Leafs who have been looking for depth scoring? Your proposal was Robertson who is a very questionable prospect, Kerfoot whom the Leafs have been trying to cap dump and would give away at this point, and a very late 1st. For one of the most electrifying wingers in the NHL you don't like. It's terrible.
I tend to agree. Robertson has an elite shot but he is undersized and could struggle mightily.

I will agree on the format of NHL player + 1st + top prospect though.

Someone mentioned Seth Jarvis. He projects a little bigger. If it has to be Toronto I'm more interested in Rodion Amirov, or even Sandin.

Could we get both Sandin and Amirov/Robertson to go with a first and Kerfoot? I'm probably listening on that.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2021, 05:52 PM   #9970
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
3.38 for one more year
I think people are over estimating the potential return
So no not factoring what you call the Brad factor
Gaudreau has been a PPG guy his entire career. Even on an off year like this season he is on pace for 59 points. Kasperi Kapanen came off a season where he was on pace for 43 points and had a 3.2 million dollar cap hit and he got a 15th overall pick and a 2nd rounder. Someone will pay for a 70 point Johnny, and that Johnny on a truly competitive team and not one that has a mediocre roster like Calgary’s is a scenario where he lights it up. The Lightning traded Vancouver’s number one pick (which at the time looked like it could possibly be a lottery pick given the way the Canucks were trending) and one of their top prospects for two playoff runs of Blake Coleman. You put a half priced Johnny on Carolina for two seasons and they are a legit Stanley Cup contender for both seasons and they would still have 26 million next offseason to play with and most of their roster in tact. They could easily put together a pretty big futures package to add a player like Gaudreau.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2021, 05:52 PM   #9971
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
As someone who had a good friend die Thursday from covid, I am thin skinned enough to be pissed off by any Jokes about giving people covid.

Maybe think about others before making a joke in poor taste or getting your high horse when someone is offended by it.

It’s an Internet forum I wouldn’t put any anger or stress into any posts dude. Just ignore and keep going.
Old 03-27-2021, 05:53 PM   #9972
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Scott Wheeler has him at #5 last summer
The hockey news had him in the 30s in their last future watch
You aren’t getting a sure thing guy for Johnny. And he sure ain’t that electrifying any more unless you find button hooks exciting

Correction I misread he was 10 on wheelers list

Last edited by Jiri Hrdina; 03-27-2021 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 05:56 PM   #9973
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
It’s an Internet forum I wouldn’t put any anger or stress into any posts dude. Just ignore and keep going.
Yeah. I know will do.
I Still think covid jokes are not funny when people are still dying.

Cheers.
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2021, 06:02 PM   #9974
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Scott Wheeler has him at #5 last summer
The hockey news had him in the 30s in their last future watch
You aren’t getting a sure thing guy for Johnny. And he sure ain’t that electrifying any more unless you find button hooks exciting
You mean Scott Wheeler who wrote for the Toronto Star and is a big Leafs homer? I think I will pass on that guys judgement.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:05 PM   #9975
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok do your own research then
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2021, 06:20 PM   #9976
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Robertson ain't bad. But I also think the Leafs have better options for the Flames.

Amirov
Der-Arguchintsev
Ovchinnikov
Niemela
Liljigren
Sandin

There's a pretty good list of Leafs prospects I'd take over Robertson.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:23 PM   #9977
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

And this is going to sound pretty callous on my part but trading Gaidreau before the puck drops on the next season IMO is a bit of addition by subtraction. If the Flames are wanting the team to win by commity, they're gonna have to remove the linchpin from the previous iterations of this roster and start from.scratch. I want to say I'll be good with whatever the get for Gaudreau, it should be a lot better than I think it will be.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:23 PM   #9978
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ok do your own research then
I did. Am I not allowed to disagree about a prospect? If Mark Spector writes that Yamamoto will surpass Gaudreau as a player should I believe that too? I think we can do better than Robertson. I am not sure exactly why the Leafs want Johnny anyhow given he would be strictly a rental for the rest of this season and next. I think they have more pressing needs than another skill winger.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:23 PM   #9979
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Expansion is before the regular draft no?

Teams will know who they lost when they get to the regular draft and will have lost that salary on top of it all...creating more cap room league wide.

It will also be before the 5 team NTC kicks in.

Every team will be better positioned then than now...but if someone wants to blow their socks off as to get 2 playoff runs with him...then sure. His value will be higher in the summer though for the simple supply and demand concept. More teams, more demand.

So few teams can afford him this TD that you are really limiting your options. Again though...if the right one comes along...do it.
A few challenges:
- teams are slightly more rational in the off-season (Jul. 1 excluded)
- hard deadline of the NTC puts Brad up against the wall. I'd see a lot of teams throwing out a weak offer and not budging
- Hall and RNH possibly available as UFA along with several others

I think we see a lot of draft deals for cost-controlled players, but there isn't much evidence for limited term guys moving:

'17-18 is the most relevant year (VGK ED):
- Eberle w/ 2 years left for Strome (LOL)
- Panarin (2 yrs) for Saad (4)

'18-'19:
Hoffman (2) for Boedker
Skinner, Pacioretty, and Karlsson trades happened in Aug and Sep

'19-20
Barrie/Brodie only had 1 year terms for Kadri...(actual trade happened July 1)

The next best I could find was 2015 where 1 year of Lucic (15 team trade list; 46% retained) returned: pick #13OA in 2015
23 yo Colin Miller (5th rd pick who had yet to play an NHL game, though he lit up the AHL the previous season and played 42 games for BOS the next year)
Martin Jones (RFA rights - BOS flipped him a few days later for a 2016 1st (#29 - Trent Frederic) and Sean Kuraly (full time player for 4 years now)

Be careful what we wish for in Lombardi? Lucic actually potted 23G and 50P, but the Kings were out in 5 and haven't won a playoff game since.

34 yo Bieksa also waived his NTC to go for a 2016 2nd to ANA that year (that 2nd ended up being future HOFer Filip Gustavsson)

There isn't much recent evidence that draft time is a good opportunity to trade a single year to UFA player.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:32 PM   #9980
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Sorry to hear about your good friend.
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread