Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 11:10 AM   #9941
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Frolik is a third line guy and played on the third line, the problem was the Flames didn't have a second line. Frolik is a good utility guy for the team and probably has trade value if they go that route.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:10 AM   #9942
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
Going to disagree with that. He wouldn't be a top 6 forward on a good team.
I am going to disagree with that. "Top six forward" is probably overused in describing the actual makeup of most good teams, but in today's NHL 40-point production is solid coming from the second-line, and when combined with high-level defensive play it is exceptional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 04-12-2018, 11:10 AM   #9943
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
But we would have the nicest management team in the league.
Ah, the Gulutzan approach. A winning formula.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:14 AM   #9944
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Pretty much. He has historically been a 0.5 pt/game player who plays very well in his own zone, and is coming off of a down-year. He is definitely much more than just a third liner.
Little worried he still has two years left on his deal based on what we saw this year. IMO his play this year doesn't warrant calling him much more than a 3rd liner, as often he was the worst player on our second line. 25 points and -19 is pretty bad.

In three years of Frolik, we have seen good, very good and bad. The one thing you want out of a player like Frolik is consistency.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2018, 11:16 AM   #9945
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
^
Has Frolik really been a good signing?

All I see is a third liner who's making 4.3 million/year. Ideally I'd pay half of that for what he brings to the table.
I think if you are paying $1 million for every 10 points, it's not a bad deal. With Frolik, you are getting pretty much exactly that if he's healthy.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:18 AM   #9946
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Little worried he still has two years left on his deal based on what we saw this year. IMO his play this year doesn't warrant calling him much more than a 3rd liner, as often he was the worst player on our second line. 25 points and -19 is pretty bad.

In three years of Frolik, we have seen good, very good and bad with injuries. The one thing you want out of a player like Frolik is consistency.
FYP.

No he wasn't great this season but he was battling one thing or another almost all year.

Not an excuse necessarily but certainly a reason for the drop off.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:20 AM   #9947
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Frolik had a rough year, but tough to argue he's been a bad siging. He's exactly what most of us thought we were getting. A quality middle six winger who can play defense and pot a few goals. I really believe Trelving pretty much nailed that FA siging on term and dollar.

But the Vegas gaffe, that was a tough one and it was one key moment in this flames season.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:22 AM   #9948
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Do NOT trade Michael Frolik. He's still very good, probably the team's best RW

Old 04-12-2018, 11:27 AM   #9949
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Do NOT trade Michael Frolik. He's still very good, probably the team's best RW
Arguably true, arguably sad (not a Frolik critique).

Frolik was as advertised, which is fine. He's a $4m player who plays a decent defensive game and can chip in now and then, especially on a two on one. He and Backs have chemistry. You don't worry about him when he's on (which is why Vegas was a shock). If he had a better ability to pick corners he would be a 30 goal, $6m player (he hits the net though, so he's kind of an anti-Jankowski/Bennett).
Old 04-12-2018, 11:28 AM   #9950
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Frolik is also a tremendous PKer.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:33 AM   #9951
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

By now Backlund and Frolik should the anchors of the 3rd line, but unfortunately they are still the 2nd line because Bennett did not take off as the center most of us hoped he'd be.

Gaudreau - Monahan - _______
Tkachuk - Bennett - _______
_______ - Backlund - Frolik

If Bennett was a 60+ point center by now we would have been in much better shape. Sadly, I don't think he ever will be a 60+ point center in the NHL, so the question now is will Jankowski be that player we need? If yes, how long until he gets there? If no, then we need to find it somewhere else or IMO this team is really going to struggle to be a legit contender.

That's why I want O'Reilly so badly or a miracle Tavares signing.

Treliving probably feels close to the same IMO, and that's why you hear the rumors of him being involved in discussions for Duchene and Turris when they were available.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 04-12-2018 at 11:36 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2018, 11:40 AM   #9952
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I do think Frolik is a good player who can move up and down a lineup but ultimately, I don't think he's a top 6 forward. He can fill in if necessary.

I just don't think paying him 4.3 million is a fantastic/good deal, I'd say it's average looking at what other RWs get paid around the league.
The Following User Says Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2018, 11:40 AM   #9953
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
By now Backlund and Frolik should the anchors of the 3rd line, but unfortunately they are still the 2nd line because Bennett did not take off as the center most of us hoped he'd be.

Tkachuk - Bennett - _______
_______ - Backlund - Frolik

If Bennett was a 60+ point center by now we would have been in much better shape. Sadly, I don't think he ever will be a 60+ point center in the NHL, so the question now is will Jankowski be that player we need? If yes, how long until he gets there? If no, then we need to find it somewhere else or IMO this team is really going to struggle to be a legit contender.

That's why I want O'Reilly so badly or a miracle Tavares signing.

Treliving probably feels close to the same IMO, and that's why you hear the rumors of him being involved in discussions for Duchene and Turris when they were available.
Perhaps Bennett will never be a center? and maybe just maybe Jankowski can be that 2nd line center we desperately need?

Tkachuk - Jankowski- _______
Bennett- Backlund - Frolik
Old 04-12-2018, 11:42 AM   #9954
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's rare to get top 6 forwards from UFA signings these days. Free agency is where you address gaps in your depth positions with overpaid veterans. And if you're doing that a lot, it's because your drafting is poor.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:54 AM   #9955
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I think if the Flames can deal a defender to Buffalo in a deal for O'Reilly, that would be a great idea

Old 04-12-2018, 11:56 AM   #9956
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I think if the Flames can deal a defender to Buffalo in a deal for O'Reilly, that would be a great idea
You're good with pushing Jankowski to the 4th line? I don't see him moving to the wing and this would most likely stunt his growth potential.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:58 AM   #9957
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubz View Post
You're good with pushing Jankowski to the 4th line? I don't see him moving to the wing and this would most likely stunt his growth potential.
Absolutely yes. What an absolute strength. What a leg up on other teams. Ice 4 good lines, like everyone else tries to.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2018, 11:58 AM   #9958
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubz View Post
If the Flames trade for O'Reilly, Janko likely goes the other way or moves to the wing for now. The addition of ROR while keeping Monahan and Backlund has the Flames set at 1,2,3 C for at least 5 seasons.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2018, 12:03 PM   #9959
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Jankowski to the 4L is only a detriment if you play your 4L like an energy line. Limited minutes, limited skill, etc.

Roll 4 lines and bump up the minutes and yeah, it could work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2018, 12:12 PM   #9960
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I think the Flames would deal one of Brodie/Hamonic and Bennett/Jankowski for O'Reilly. Maybe a prospect too.

I think in that case you shy away from a more top-end winger in favour of a guy like Perron or Vanek -- guys who can still easily score 50 points but who aren't necessarily long-term solutions -- and run this:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Vanek/Perron
Tkachuk - O'Reilly - Ferland/Foo
Bennett/Jankowski - Backlund - Frolik
Lazar/Versteeg/whoever - Shore - Ferland/Foo

Adding, say, O'Reilly and Vanek while taking away Bennett instantly adds like 75 points to this roster. I think it makes the Flames look much more dangerous

Closed Thread