Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2023, 11:37 AM   #9861
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary '89 View Post
I'd much prefer a prickly a**hole of a PM who can be held accountable over a filthy, greasy wet rag of a PM who identifies as a warm blanket. We've had the latter for 8 years now and the cracks have become craters.

Hate away my friend, PP will force liberals to choose a leader of greater substance and we'll all benefit in the long run.
PP's personality is the least of my concerns. It's the type of people he associates and signals/dog-whistles to and some of his terrible policy ideas that concern me (see: the crypto nonsense).
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 11:41 AM   #9862
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Looking forward to Milhouse's nasally voice, smug look, bland suits and loud apple munching representing Canadians on the world stage
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 11:52 AM   #9863
Calgary '89
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Looking forward to Milhouse's nasally voice, smug look, bland suits and loud apple munching representing Canadians on the world stage
Looool the hate is so palpable.

I too look forward to the Calgarian representing Canada on the world stage. I think the world has also had enough of the hairdo with cute socks bumbling his way through foreign affairs issues, looking like an absolute fool and pretending to be the orator his daddy was.
Calgary '89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary '89 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2023, 11:55 AM   #9864
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Conservatives when other people make fun of their future PM, especially if he's from the West:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2023, 11:57 AM   #9865
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quick - what image comes to mind when you think of Mark Rutte, the prime minster of the Netherlands? Or Anthony Albanese, prime minister of Australia?

Probably nothing. That’s what the rest of the world will think of Poilievre, or whoever else becomes the next prime minister of Canada. Trudeau was a bit of a celebrity. But after him, we’ll return to the rest of the world not noticing or caring who our leader is.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2023, 11:59 AM   #9866
Calgary '89
Backup Goalie

Exp:

hahaha yes Ozy, laughter was triggered. Please keep it up, I love a good laugh in the morning!!
Calgary '89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 12:05 PM   #9867
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary '89 View Post
hahaha yes Ozy, laughter was triggered. Please keep it up, I love a good laugh in the morning!!
Same! He definitely is fun to laugh at!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2023, 12:05 PM   #9868
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Quick - what image comes to mind when you think of Mark Rutte, the prime minster of the Netherlands? Or Anthony Albanese, prime minister of Australia?

Probably nothing. That’s what the rest of the world will think of Poilievre, or whoever else becomes the next prime minister of Canada. Trudeau was a bit of a celebrity. But after him, we’ll return to the rest of the world not noticing or caring who our leader is.
Haha, I remember when we had milquetoast Harper in and there was a photo with him and a bunch of other world leaders in some major publication. His name was "unknown man" lol.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2023, 12:09 PM   #9869
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Haha, I remember when we had milquetoast Harper in and there was a photo with him and a bunch of other world leaders in some major publication. His name was "unknown man" lol.
Funny, but wasn't that a Chretien thing?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 12:17 PM   #9870
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
I'll never forget the John Oliver episode he did for the 2015 election, where he made Trudeau look like a weirdo for the 'falling down the stairs' bit, and Harper look like an awkward suburban doormat with his terrible band playing dull dishwasher music. At least the former had some youthful appeal
Old 11-07-2023, 12:36 PM   #9871
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Funny, but wasn't that a Chretien thing?

Pourquoi pas les deux?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2023, 12:46 PM   #9872
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I'll never forget the John Oliver episode he did for the 2015 election, where he made Trudeau look like a weirdo for the 'falling down the stairs' bit, and Harper look like an awkward suburban doormat with his terrible band playing dull dishwasher music. At least the former had some youthful appeal
That youthful appeal is what I look for in a PM. And socks. Lol

I wish Harper wasn’t so bland. Trudeau definitely won over a lot of younger voters with his looks and charisma. Female voters for sure.

I wonder if the “image” of the political leaders will play into the next election as much as it has in the past. It definitely plays a part, but I wonder if the next election will be more about politics than the leaders themselves. Time will tell.
Old 11-07-2023, 12:51 PM   #9873
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Of course those images will. Photos with world leaders get shared all the time on social media. And unfortunately for voters on both sides, people vote for how the leader looks in public. That includes everything from hair coifs right down to the straightness of their teeth and how fashionable their suits are. The Simpsons even roasted this idea with Sideshow Bob vs. Mayor Quimby.

Heck, even the CPC knew they needed to move Milhouse away from the library nerd look, which is why he got contacts for his beady eyes and a turtleneck (or v-cut shirt) under a predictably blue blazer. The guy has a stylist all day, every day.

Image matters, 100%.
Old 11-07-2023, 12:54 PM   #9874
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Pourquoi pas les deux?
Parce que M. Chrétien regardait trop... "mémorable"... pour passer inaperçu.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 12:57 PM   #9875
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Of course those images will. Photos with world leaders get shared all the time on social media. And unfortunately for voters on both sides, people vote for how the leader looks in public. That includes everything from hair coifs right down to the straightness of their teeth and how fashionable their suits are. The Simpsons even roasted this idea with Sideshow Bob vs. Mayor Quimby.

Heck, even the CPC knew they needed to move Milhouse away from the library nerd look, which is why he got contacts for his beady eyes and a turtleneck (or v-cut shirt) under a predictably blue blazer. The guy has a stylist all day, every day.

Image matters, 100%.
Any chance we see the old Trudeau images re-emerge? Guess it depends on the type of campaigns that the parties run. I suspect CPC will try and run a clean campaign, and Liberals a bit more mud slinging, if the polls hold the way they are now.

Anyways, not election in sight regardless.
Old 11-07-2023, 12:59 PM   #9876
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
Any chance we see the old Trudeau images re-emerge? Guess it depends on the type of campaigns that the parties run. I suspect CPC will try and run a clean campaign, and Liberals a bit more mud slinging, if the polls hold the way they are now.

I suspect with the way the CPC likes to run smear campaigns and gaslight liberal scandals, there's a greater than zero chance they try and use the blackface photos again just like they did in 2021. However if they do, I think it will backfire. Voters will just roll their eyes and say "not this again", knowing full well they weren't going to vote for Trudeau anyway.
Old 11-07-2023, 01:01 PM   #9877
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I suspect CPC will try and run a clean campaign

Nobody will be running a "clean campaign"; that's not how elections are won. All parties will exaggerate, misconstrue, falsify, throw mud, and straight up lie and cheat.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2023, 01:03 PM   #9878
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

LOL. You can't be that naive.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 01:05 PM   #9879
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post

Nobody will be running a "clean campaign"; that's not how elections are won. All parties will exaggerate, misconstrue, falsify, throw mud, and straight up lie and cheat.
Well ya, of course nobody runs a squeaky clean campaign. But if you have a substantial lead in the polls, why change the messaging? Focus on the things people care about, talk about your messaging.

Now if the polls reverse and favour the Liberals, ya for sure the CPC will sling mud. Just like any party would if they needed traction.
Old 11-07-2023, 01:07 PM   #9880
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Actually, they don't need to run a dirty campaign. They can just shut up and say nothing, and will win the next election. The whole vote is a "remove Trudeau" protest vote, not a rally for the CPC who have little appealing factors other than "not Trudeau."

Now if they don't shut up, they may just shoot themselves in the foot and create their own self-inflicted catastrophe. I wonder if the CPC will have the gumption and self-control to just let political gravity do its thing, or if they feel the need to breathe moistly out of the hot air side of their mouth.

The next election is the CPC's to win, Let's see if they can resist the urge to sabotage it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post: