Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 11:05 AM   #9841
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
I think the potential for another expansion draft as early as next offseason (potentially) has to play a major role in this. Assuming the flames want to protect their top 4 dmen makes it more difficult to acquire someone like ROR when Janko wouldn’t need to be protected.

I think it would be good to at least see where the flames would be at for contracts and who we’d have to leave unprotected if something like that were to happen. Maybe it’s not until summer 2020 but that’s still a huge factor
There is zero chance there will be an expansion draft next year.

All of the promotion Seattle has done mentions a 2020 start date. Because of the construction timeline on their arena, there's no way they'll start earlier. If anything, it could move back to 2021, but there's no chance it moves up to 2019.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:02 PM   #9842
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
There is zero chance there will be an expansion draft next year.

All of the promotion Seattle has done mentions a 2020 start date. Because of the construction timeline on their arena, there's no way they'll start earlier. If anything, it could move back to 2021, but there's no chance it moves up to 2019.
Still 2020 needs to be considered if the players will still be under contract then
Old 04-11-2018, 01:21 PM   #9843
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's too bad that the Oilers are the team that need a puckmoving RH shot d-man, and also happen to have a young RH shot forward that may be available.

Something around Andersson for Puljujarvi could have been interesting if it wasn't a trade between those two teams. Flames would likely need to add due to draft pedigree of Puljujarvi but it would be a starting point.

Flames would still have Kylington, Fox, and Valimaki on the backend but add that top end potential RH shot forward to the org.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 04-11-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:31 PM   #9844
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
It's too bad that the Oilers are the team that need a puckmoving RH shot d-man, and also happen to have a young RH shot forward that may be available.

Something around Andersson for Puljujarvi could have been interesting if it wasn't a trade between those two teams. Flames would likely need to add due to draft pedigree of Puljujarvi but it would be a starting point.

Flames would still have Kylington, Fox, and Valimaki on the backend but add that top end potential RH shot forward to the org.
Someone will have to explain to me why Andersson's skating is not a tremendous liability at the NHL level. I get that he's smart, but he's got a long way to go before he's quick enough to handle real NHL forwards.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:45 PM   #9845
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
Still 2020 needs to be considered if the players will still be under contract then
If the last expansion draft was any indication, there will be opportunity for side deals.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:59 PM   #9846
TheKurgan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I like the idea of getting O’Reilly out of Buffalo but with Brodie’s NTC I doubt he would wave it to go. So that really only leaves us with Hamilton on the backed to trade, which is a pretty steep price to pay. It would also leave us with too many centers (Monahan/Backlund/Janko/Bennett/Shore) and the same lack of depth on the RW. So here is my crazy two trade proposal

To Buffalo:
Dougie Hamilton
Forward Prospect like Hunter Shinkaruk or Mangiapne

To Calgary:
Ryan O’Reilly
Sam Reinhart

Then you would trade Backlund and a D prospect to Ottawa for a RWer

To Ottawa
Mikael Backlund
D Prospect like Oliver Kylington/Wotherspoon/

To Calgary:
Mark Stone

This would give Calgary a pretty solid 1/2/3 forward lines and weaker but acceptable defense in my opinion anyway.

Gaudreau - Monahan – Stone
Tkachuk – O’Reilly - Reinhardt
Bennett - Jankowski - Ferland
Lazar - Stone – Foo
(Dube/Hathaway)

Giordano - Brodie
Hamonic - Andersson
Kulak - Stone
(Valimaki/Wotherspoon)

Smith
Rittich

You would also need to buyout Brouwer and trade Frolik for picks...
Old 04-11-2018, 02:04 PM   #9847
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKurgan View Post
I like the idea of getting O’Reilly out of Buffalo but with Brodie’s NTC I doubt he would wave it to go. So that really only leaves us with Hamilton on the backed to trade, which is a pretty steep price to pay. It would also leave us with too many centers (Monahan/Backlund/Janko/Bennett/Shore) and the same lack of depth on the RW. So here is my crazy two trade proposal

To Buffalo:
Dougie Hamilton
Forward Prospect like Hunter Shinkaruk or Mangiapne

To Calgary:
Ryan O’Reilly
Sam Reinhart

Then you would trade Backlund and a D prospect to Ottawa for a RWer

To Ottawa
Mikael Backlund
D Prospect like Oliver Kylington/Wotherspoon/

To Calgary:
Mark Stone

This would give Calgary a pretty solid 1/2/3 forward lines and weaker but acceptable defense in my opinion anyway.

Gaudreau - Monahan – Stone
Tkachuk – O’Reilly - Reinhardt
Bennett - Jankowski - Ferland
Lazar - Stone – Foo
(Dube/Hathaway)

Giordano - Brodie
Hamonic - Andersson
Kulak - Stone
(Valimaki/Wotherspoon)

Smith
Rittich

You would also need to buyout Brouwer and trade Frolik for picks...
I can see the Buffalo trade, but there is no chance Ottawa does that deal, IMO.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:07 PM   #9848
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know, Brodie is an Ontario kid. Being a quick drive from Toronto may be something desirable.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:35 PM   #9849
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

We all have been busy speculating trades for forwards. With Smith having 1 year left, and none of the prospects moving up the depth chart other than being a backup, any chance the flames look at holtby (benched for gm1 of playoffs, their top Russian goalie prospect coming to Na soon) or Schneider?
Old 04-11-2018, 02:38 PM   #9850
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Both would require significant assets to obtain and if the Flames are spending, it will be for a top 6 forward (my belief).
Old 04-11-2018, 02:39 PM   #9851
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Im watching that develop pretty closly. Holtby would be great in Flames silks
Old 04-11-2018, 03:02 PM   #9852
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hypothetical:

You are Flames GM, you put it out that you are willing to move Dougie. Buffalo calls and offers Ryan O'Reilly with $750k retained ($6.750 million cap hit for 5 more seasons). Ottawa GM calls and offers Mark Stone and he will sign a 5 year $6.750 million extension with the Flames.

You talk to both GMs trying to up the return but neither will budge they say one for one is their final offer.

Do you take:

A. Ryan O'Reilly
B. Mark Stone
C. Neither and keep Dougie
Old 04-11-2018, 03:08 PM   #9853
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Hypothetical:

You are Flames GM, you put it out that you are willing to move Dougie. Buffalo calls and offers Ryan O'Reilly with $750k retained ($6.750 million cap hit for 5 more seasons). Ottawa GM calls and offers Mark Stone and he will sign a 5 year $6.750 million extension with the Flames.

You talk to both GMs trying to up the return but neither will budge they say one for one is their final offer.

Do you take:

A. Ryan O'Reilly
B. Mark Stone
I...like all the players involved.

Trading a (soon to be) 25 year old elite top pairing defenceman for an elite winger seems like a mistake, so I'd keep Dougie over Stone. One position is just way more important than the other.

O'Reilly though...You lose 2 years age-wise, but gain the best 1-4 centre depth in the league AND have Andersson and Fox on the way. If Fox was signed, I make the trade with a lot of confidence in the defense moving forward. As-is, if we move Hamilton we're banking on Brodie transitioning back to the right hand side and his game getting back to a high level...do you take that risk?

Hamilton for O'Reilly, make the deal or not right now? I think I make that trade.

Monahan
O'Reilly
Backlund
Jankowski

That's beautiful depth. You then focus on acquiring a winger other ways and hope that icing those 4 centres help off-set some additional youth on the blueline:

Giordano - Brodie
Valimaki - Hamonic
Kulak - Andersson
Stone

(and possibly you move Stone for some picks and use Wotherspoon as your 7 - with Huska praising Spoon the way he has as of late, it's time to get him here)

Hamilton for Stone? I pass.

Last edited by ComixZone; 04-11-2018 at 03:15 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2018, 03:13 PM   #9854
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Hypothetical:

Do you take:

A. Ryan O'Reilly
B. Mark Stone
Mark Stone.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2018, 03:16 PM   #9855
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Brodie can improve his playing position and ice time he will waive his NTC. He only has a modified NTC as well. It's an 8 team list and he might have already had to submit it as of July 1 2017. Now Buffalo may well be on that list, but maybe not, as they were seen as an up and coming team back then. Heck, they still are a team with Eichel, Mittelsdtadt, Nylander, Ristolainen, Reinhart and whoever they get in the lottery.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:21 PM   #9856
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Hamilton’s contract is too incredible to move. You get a very affordable, very capable top pairing Defenseman for 2 more seasons. It makes way more sense to trade him for a kings ransom in 20/21 when he’s 27.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2018, 03:21 PM   #9857
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Someone will have to explain to me why Andersson's skating is not a tremendous liability at the NHL level. I get that he's smart, but he's got a long way to go before he's quick enough to handle real NHL forwards.
I disagree, he is not any slower than Brodie and seems to be better positionally and playing his man.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:23 PM   #9858
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I disagree, he is not any slower than Brodie and seems to be better positionally and playing his man.
But watching him don’t you also get the ‘incredibly skilled beer league player’ vibe?

I like him and think he’ll do well. He’s a good defenseman. But something about the way he moves around out there bothers me.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:24 PM   #9859
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we moved Hamilton to Buffalo for O'Reilly, could we get Alex Nylander too? I'd do that. no cap retention and just get two very useful pieces for the FW group.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:26 PM   #9860
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
But watching him don’t you also get the ‘incredibly skilled beer league player’ vibe?

I like him and think he’ll do well. He’s a good defenseman. But something about the way he moves around out there bothers me.
It's his build. He's a very stocky six footer. I think he can be quicker but thats going to be his thing this offseason, to keep the fitness training going and improving.
Closed Thread