Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 08:17 AM   #9821
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
That’s not what the poster was suggesting. How does that stop him being an Oiler now?

The original poster said he could have signed anywhere...please explain the process for this. I’m very confused.
He had no right to make that choice. It isn’t his choice until he’s a UFA.

He decided that didn’t matter, and signed away his first few UFA years.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:22 AM   #9822
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

yup...

unfortunately, the choices are limited.

demand a trade while playing in the KHL or wait until day one of the UFA market.

if macdavid was smart, he would have signed a deal that took him to UFA on the basis of 'wanting to see' what the oilers would be able to do. I think that's pretty fair.

signing a long term deal, a year of ahead of when it was necessary seems a bit foolish and now looks really dumb, whereas it only looked pretty dumb when he signed it
Old 02-28-2019, 08:23 AM   #9823
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was pretty great watching the highlights of the Oilers Leafs game where they showed the Leafs not giving Mc-2 an inch. The Flames should study that, it looked like a great way to shut him down. Particularly when he tried to wind up on his usual high speed run down the right side, and he just got stood up at the blue line. I can just imagine McCrossover thinking "what just happened? That's my MOVE, man!"
Old 02-28-2019, 08:26 AM   #9824
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
yup...

unfortunately, the choices are limited.

demand a trade while playing in the KHL or wait until day one of the UFA market.

if macdavid was smart, he would have signed a deal that took him to UFA on the basis of 'wanting to see' what the oilers would be able to do. I think that's pretty fair.

signing a long term deal, a year of ahead of when it was necessary seems a bit foolish and now looks really dumb, whereas it only looked pretty dumb when he signed it
It doesn’t look as “dumb” as it looks like “WOOOO BIG CONTRACT!!!, let me get paaaaaaiiiiiddddd!!!!!”

Finances were more important than winning.

Gotta suffer the consequences.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2019, 08:27 AM   #9825
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...s-past-oilers/

This is hilarious, the interview with Hitch at the start. The press gallery just laughs at his comparison of Gretzky to McDavid, and he was totally serious about it. Oilers are a joke, and the media now knows it.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:29 AM   #9826
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Poor little $12.5 million captain couldn't come out and face the media after he no-showed in a hyped up battle against the centre of the universe? Awwwwww.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2019, 08:40 AM   #9827
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It was pretty great watching the highlights of the Oilers Leafs game where they showed the Leafs not giving Mc-2 an inch. The Flames should study that, it looked like a great way to shut him down. Particularly when he tried to wind up on his usual high speed run down the right side, and he just got stood up at the blue line. I can just imagine McCrossover thinking "what just happened? That's my MOVE, man!"

Did you watch the last Flames v Oilers game? They shut McHobo down perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2019, 08:45 AM   #9828
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

If there's any fan base dumb enough to chase McDavid out of town after chasing Hall out of town, it's the Oilers.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:06 AM   #9829
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
You know McDavid was livid when he saw the Matthews deal. Matthews still got good money and only gave up one year as a UFA. 5 years from now he can either stay on a good team or pick another team that he thinks will be good.

The Oilers if they don't fugger it up will be coming out of their rebuild in year 5 of McDavid's contract.

Mind you, he'll get a few free trips to Europe to play in the World Championships that Matthew's won't.
Yup. That Matthews deal is fantastic. Its loaded on Signing Bonuses so even during lockouts Matthews gets paid, he only gave up 1 year UFA which leaves him a ton of flexibility and hes banking on signing a big contract after this one when hes in his prime rather than at the tail-end of his career.

Brilliant contract.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-28-2019, 09:24 AM   #9830
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw a locked thread on HF where Jeff Blair mentioned he is hearing whispers that McDavid wants out.

Here is my dream June

June 12th- Flames win the Cup
June 13th- Arena deal announced
June 14th- McDavid formally requests a trade
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2019, 09:29 AM   #9831
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I saw a locked thread on HF where Jeff Blair mentioned he is hearing whispers that McDavid wants out.

Here is my dream June

June 12th- Flames win the Cup
June 13th- Arena deal announced
The deal is one for one
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2019, 09:46 AM   #9832
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

I turned the radio to CHED for 15 seconds during the first intermission last night.

Bagdad Bob Stauffer was raving about Draisatl... I can only imagine from the goal he scored.

He drove the net, made a couple of nice moves, but lost the puck and it was essentially a lucky bounce that pinballed into the net. Good on Leon for getting in position to score a nice goal.

I couldn't listen to Stauffer from more than 3 seconds. He was going on like Draisatl undressed Andersson out of his pads.

After watching Hitch's response to Spector's loaded question comparing Gretzky to McDavid reminded me that when you have no integrity... you have no shame.

That sums up Mark Spector's professionalism to a T.

Where are the Pittsburgh reporters who asked these kind of ridiculous questions about Mario when Crosby came in to play the Leafs?

Where are the ridiculous comparisons of Crosby and Mario?

They're different players, who are almost never compared outside of their accomplishments to the franchise... after both won championships.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:49 AM   #9833
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post

I think it is better for us if McDavid stays in Edmonton. They could actually improve with a good return and more cap room.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:51 AM   #9834
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still can't wrap my head around what an embarrassment that organization is. It's nearly unfathomable.

Since they started their 1st rebuild after the lockout (2007), a span of 12 drafts, they've:

Drafted 1st overall 4 times
Drafted in the top five 7 times
Drafted in the top ten 10 times
Drafted in the first round 13 times
Drafted in the first two rounds 23 times

Yet here they are in 2019, sitting in 26th place in the league, on pace for 76 points.
They have 3 top six forwards.
They have no legit top pairing Dman, and maybe what..two maybe three legit top four Dmen?
Their starting goalie is a 30 year rookie from the KHL with average at best numbers.
They only have 5 players on their roster under the age of 25, and out of those only McDavid, Draisaitl and Nurse are note worthy.
Their prospect pipeline is nothing special, middle of the road league wise I would say.
They are right up against the salary cap with the 4th highest pay roll in the league.
And they don't have any real dead weight contract set to expire this off season either.

My god.

WHAT. A. BLOODY. MESS.

How do you #### that up so badly? All those high picks and only 5 above average NHL players at BEST.

It's absolutely glorious to behold as a Flames fan, especially with the Flames having the season they're having.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2019, 10:14 AM   #9835
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tychkowski is at the end of his rope.

"If this team wasn’t based in Canada, where fans throw money at a team no matter what, it would have folded, relocated or changed the way it operates years ago. But here were are, caught in a vicious cycle of sellouts, draft lotteries and abject failure".

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/hocke...dmonton-oilers
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CedarMeter For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2019, 10:22 AM   #9836
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarMeter View Post

"If this team wasn’t based in Canada, where fans throw money at a team no matter what, it would have folded, relocated or changed the way it operates years ago. But here were are, caught in a vicious cycle of sellouts, draft lotteries and abject failure".

And thank God for that! I never get tired of watching this dog and pony show buy into its own hype every summer, just to be crushed.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:41 AM   #9837
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2019, 10:49 AM   #9838
sgeorg
Draft Pick

I get the feeling you're not understanding how this sub works or what it is for...
Old 02-28-2019, 10:52 AM   #9839
sgeorg
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
He wasn’t a UFA...he couldn’t have just got that money from anyone. Oilers would have matched any offer sheet, hence the max cap max term contract he signed. He had zero choice but to sign that extension.

What are you suggesting McDavid could have done instead?

Actually, he could have retired I guess....or played in Europe.
I get the impression you don't know what this sub is for.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:06 AM   #9840
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarMeter View Post

best line imo

Quote:
Every single elite level forward the Oilers have, and there are exactly three of them, was GIVEN to them by the NHL. If a tree stump was running this team, the Oilers would still have Draisaitl, Nugent-Hopkins and McDavid. Sadly, a tree stump WASN’T running this team, so it lost Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle and lost out on Matt Barzal through crippling mistakes.
his emphasis... oiler media shills beginning to turn....
Closed Thread