Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2023, 12:07 PM   #9821
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
What are we going to do with tanks in Canada? lol
They are good for recruiting at the Stampede. "Oh, ya? you like this bad boy eh? Well sign up right over here, and one day you might get a chance to stand beside it and show it off to new recruits yourself!"
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 12:10 PM   #9822
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What are we going to do with tanks in Canada? lol
You miss understand me.

I think we should be sending more.

I've said on here before I don't think we need a MBT component to our Amoured Corps.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 12:22 PM   #9823
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
They are good for recruiting at the Stampede. "Oh, ya? you like this bad boy eh? Well sign up right over here, and one day you might get a chance to stand beside it and show it off to new recruits yourself!"
3rd day in the Army I was in a Herc thinking to myself this Army #### is cool "High Speed Low Drag".

Little did I know...........

Old 01-26-2023, 12:26 PM   #9824
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
You miss understand me.

I think we should be sending more.

I've said on here before I don't think we need a MBT component to our Amoured Corps.
No for sure I understand you. We should send all of them. Ukraine needs them 1000 times more than us.

Maybe we only have 4 tanks in Canada.
Old 01-26-2023, 12:29 PM   #9825
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No for sure I understand you. We should send all of them. Ukraine needs them 1000 times more than us.

Maybe we only have 4 tanks in Canada.
Sad part is, having only 4 that actually run isn't a stretch
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 12:32 PM   #9826
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

For what it is worth, Canada has been Ukraine's 5th largest single supporter in aid since the war started. 4th if you just include military aid and not financial or humanitarian aid.

Poland and Norway have been the biggest supporters by GDP. Canada and the U.S.A have given the same amount by GDP. France barely anything.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 01-26-2023 at 12:34 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 12:33 PM   #9827
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I hope these battle tanks help bring a swift end to the war.

What right or justification does Russia have to lob missles at Kyiv when the battlefield is then the East? (Rhetorical Q)
I know it was rhetorical but honestly what right does Russia have to invade Ukraine in the first place. Russia is nothing but a terrorist state now.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 01:23 PM   #9828
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I would assume that those 4 tanks out of our suppossed force of 20 2'1 and about 60 1's represent the only tanks that we have that work.

So the question is, out of all of our military hardware how much of it is actually functional. I'm talking everything from aircraft to APC's to trucks. I bet the percentage of actual working equipment in the Canadian Forces is pretty low.

In other words, our government, our defense ministers our heads of the various military groups have been lying about our readiness for years.

If Stalin had one thing right, he shot people that gundecked reports around readiness.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 01:27 PM   #9829
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I would assume that those 4 tanks out of our suppossed force of 20 2'1 and about 60 1's represent the only tanks that we have that work.

So the question is, out of all of our military hardware how much of it is actually functional. I'm talking everything from aircraft to APC's to trucks. I bet the percentage of actual working equipment in the Canadian Forces is pretty low.

In other words, our government, our defense ministers our heads of the various military groups have been lying about our readiness for years.

If Stalin had one thing right, he shot people that gundecked reports around readiness.
According to a mechanic friend of mine in Ragetown, something like 30% of their LAV's will actually be working at any given time. Even less TAPV's
Old 01-26-2023, 01:44 PM   #9830
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's interesting that Spain with roughly similar GDP is able to provide 50+ Leopards. We have really let things atrophy to a point of absurdity.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 02:36 PM   #9831
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
According to a mechanic friend of mine in Ragetown, something like 30% of their LAV's will actually be working at any given time. Even less TAPV's
Everything I have heard about the TAPV is that it’s a POS, so the loss would negligible

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 02:41 PM   #9832
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
It's interesting that Spain with roughly similar GDP is able to provide 50+ Leopards. We have really let things atrophy to a point of absurdity.
Spain is a serious country which wants to be taken seriously.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 02:50 PM   #9833
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Everything I have heard about the TAPV is that it’s a POS, so the loss would negligible
Who would have guessed that taking an obsolete airbase patrol vehicle and turning it into a tactical armoured vehicle that is overarmoured, top-heavy- and underarmed would be a bad idea?
Old 01-26-2023, 03:00 PM   #9834
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Who would have guessed that taking an obsolete airbase patrol vehicle and turning it into a tactical armoured vehicle that is overarmoured, top-heavy- and underarmed would be a bad idea?
Don't forget to add an overly complicated hydraulic system that it doesn't even need in the first place, oh and make sure it fails a lot. Oh, and make sure the brakes are powered by that system, so when it does fail, it can't stop and ends up on it's side.

OH, you know what else would be sweet? If it just caught fire for like, no reason.

Sounds good. Here Textron, have some more money
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 03:06 PM   #9835
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I think we feel a sort of safety net sharing a border with the world's strongest military power, who won't want another country making landfall on our continent. The only problem with this is...what if it's the U.S. that goes crazy and comes for us? But at that point I guess 50+ tanks won't make much of a difference.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 04:37 PM   #9836
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Canada sending 4 Leopard 2s is kind of like getting a participation medal. We can barely even transport them there. They said we'd be only able to bring one at a time in a CC-177 Globemaster.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 04:53 PM   #9837
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Canada sending 4 Leopard 2s is kind of like getting a participation medal. We can barely even transport them there. They said we'd be only able to bring one at a time in a CC-177 Globemaster.
why wouldn't they put them on a boat? its not 1815, you can ship them there in a week via Rotterdam or Hamburg
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 05:00 PM   #9838
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
why wouldn't they put them on a boat? its not 1815, you can ship them there in a week via Rotterdam or Hamburg
Maybe Russia will lend us those super jumbo 747s to transport them?
Old 01-26-2023, 05:14 PM   #9839
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe Russia will lend us those super jumbo 747s to transport them?
Very good joke.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 07:08 PM   #9840
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm very curious of the Canadian Forces doctrine.

In my mind we need to keep a core force so that we can meet NATO obligations, and we need to keep up on all the latest technology and training, as well as domestic manufacturing in key weapon systems / supply chains.

If Canada ever found itself in a total war situation again, I feel that the full brunt of our nations geography, resources and economy would be activated. Our population would be mobilized as well as our know how to out produce the enemy. If it's the US, well it's an insurgency program until we force regime change like the 50% of Americans that would've been suppressed.

You're not taking Canada in a single strike. And there are 40 million of us with access to all of the West's intelligence, technology, and nearly unlimited resources within our borders.

Us folks in the service and knowledge economy are soft compared to our soldiers, but like a previous poster said, do not underestimate "Jim from Accounting" when he's fighting an invasion of his home. That guy was smart enough in the first place to avoid going into the Army, and wars are won by logistics. It would be more about having enough production than brave people fighting hand to hand. Ukraine has human power, but they don't have the weapons.

With that in mind, Canada should have a small but capable fighting force. We don't need a lot of equipment, just enough to stay up to date on techniques and technology.

However, that equipment should be in good working order, and if our defense arm is lying about our readiness an inquiry should be underway. Unfortunately that's what it appears like from the outside at the moment.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atrocity , badass zelensky , lying russians , mad man , sneaky fn russian , war sucks