Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 09:41 PM   #9781
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
Not every captain speaks after every win or loss.
Especially not the ones who are probably at home photoshopping pictures of themselves into various other jerseys.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2019, 09:41 PM   #9782
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt
Jesus Christ, give the poor kid a break!

He’s not a robot, he’s Human with flaws like everyone (except you possibly). How many times can he be expected to stand in front of cameras and answer the same nonsensical questions, knowing ever word, facial expression and tone will be picked apart.

It’s okay to hate the oilers and not be unreasonable, these two are not mutually exclusive.

I don't think you understand how this thread works. It is impossible to be unreasonable when something is NO good. Perhaps if there was even a smidge of an inkling of a split hair worth of good, then you'd have a smidge of an inkling of a split hair worth of a point. But you don't, because:

Edmonton = NO good.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2019, 09:44 PM   #9783
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sounds like Spector just needs a handy from Nicholson or Lowe with some sweet reminiscing of the 80s to calm his nerves.

Right stang?
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2019, 09:45 PM   #9784
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Edmonton Oilers Playoff Chances

Lost to Toronto 2-6, playoff odds down 0.9 to 0.9%

59 points # 26 30-7

It's "fait accompli"

Last edited by CedarMeter; 02-27-2019 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:47 PM   #9785
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, it’s the same thing...

Skipping out on the odd press conference = not scoring a goal off your hockey stick since Nov 1st.
Pretty sure one is intentional and the other isn't, so yeah, not the same thing at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2019, 09:52 PM   #9786
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarMeter View Post
Edmonton Oilers Playoff Chances

Lost to Toronto 2-6, playoff odds down 0.9 to 0.9%

59 points # 26 30-7

It's "fait accompli"
#angryconnor
Old 02-27-2019, 09:54 PM   #9787
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.thesportster.com/hockey/...-for-a-decade/

This article is now three years old, but still 100% relevant.
The Following User Says Thank You to HotHotHeat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2019, 09:56 PM   #9788
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
https://www.thesportster.com/hockey/...-for-a-decade/

This article is now three years old, but still 100% relevant.

Its so true

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2019, 09:59 PM   #9789
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 02-27-2019, 10:04 PM   #9790
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post

* Edited for arguably better shoe match

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 02-27-2019 at 10:08 PM.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2019, 10:04 PM   #9791
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Needs matching dress shoes.

EDIT: While not matching, nice work, DM!

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
The Following User Says Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2019, 10:15 PM   #9792
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I bet Mcbigreturn broke some stuff in the locker room after this one

Old 02-27-2019, 10:17 PM   #9793
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhitbox View Post
I bet Mcbigreturn broke some stuff in the locker room after this one

I bet he went home and played NHL 19 (and traded himself).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2019, 10:30 PM   #9794
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tonight was great.

Rogers keeps the Oil Groupthinkers happy with Burkie telling everyone the Oilers are still in the hunt.

Oiler fans already hate Burke & the ones with a brain are screaming at the screen because they know he’s trolling them. They also applaud Kypreos & MacLean for their assessments.

The groupthinkers believe they have the Ed’mutton Hoi polloi in check and will send a note to Rogers about Nick & Doug.

The hoi polloi shake their fists & renew their tickets when they remember... MCDAVID!!! & how long the winters are in Ed’Mutton & how long the drive to the mountains is.

They’re not abysmally out of the playoff race or turtle derby for the last playoff spot... except they are.

So they’ll sell that.

Once all the suites in Rogers Place are renewed Katz & his fellating henchmen will see this season for what it is... a veiled threat.

They’ll take it as a license to carry on as usual.

It’s a beautiful scene.

The silver lining of the Oilers marginalizing McDavid’s career is that he keeps them right...

Right...

Right...
in meat of the heart of that special pergatory... “no man’s land” sweet! sweet! sweet! spot drafting around the 8-15th pick range while their inept scouts & even worse development approach keeps them farting all over assets in perpetuity.
When I looked that their situation almost 4 years ago I thought this was the likeliest scenario... but you never know when a blind squirrel will stumble upon someone else’s harvest stored up for winter.

I forgot to account for goaltending & luck covering up their mistakes to cresting a team to come together & thus enable a season like 2017.

They are exactly what they are now.

Oilers gotta oil.
The Following User Says Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2019, 10:33 PM   #9795
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

They got 3 out of 4 points when McDavid was suspended. He's back in the lineup, and they get blown out.

I guess we know where the problem lies.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:36 PM   #9796
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post
Tonight was great.

Rogers keeps the Oil Groupthinkers happy with Burkie telling everyone the Oilers are still in the hunt.

Oiler fans already hate Burke & the ones with a brain are screaming at the screen because they know he’s trolling them. They also applaud Kypreos & MacLean for their assessments.

The groupthinkers believe they have the Ed’mutton Hoi polloi in check and will send a note to Rogers about Nick & Doug.

The hoi polloi shake their fists & renew their tickets when they remember... MCDAVID!!! & how long the winters are in Ed’Mutton & how long the drive to the mountains is.

They’re not abysmally out of the playoff race or turtle derby for the last playoff spot... except they are.

So they’ll sell that.

Once all the suites in Rogers Place are renewed Katz & his fellating henchmen will see this season for what it is... a veiled threat.

They’ll take it as a license to carry on as usual.

It’s a beautiful scene.

The silver lining of the Oilers marginalizing McDavid’s career is that he keeps them right...

Right...

Right...

in meat of the heart of that special pergatory... “no man’s land” sweet! sweet! sweet! spot drafting around the 8-15th pick range while their inept scouts & even worse development approach keeps them farting all over assets in perpetuity.

When I looked that their situation almost 4 years ago I thought this was the likeliest scenario... but you never know when a blind squirrel will stumble upon someone else’s harvest stored up for winter.

I forgot to account for goaltending & luck covering up their mistakes to cresting a team to come together & thus enable a season like 2017.

They are exactly what they are now.

Oilers gotta oil.

In section 5 and paragraphs 2-6
I agree , Ed-mutton is NO good

Old 02-27-2019, 10:54 PM   #9797
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:
icon54

Quote:
Jesus Christ, give the poor kid a break!

He’s not a robot, he’s Human with flaws like everyone (except you possibly). How many times can he be expected to stand in front of cameras and answer the same nonsensical questions, knowing ever word, facial expression and tone will be picked apart.

It’s okay to hate the oilers and not be unreasonable, these two are not mutually exclusive.
Plain a simple the oilers are no good. It isn't the media's fault the garbage franchise rushed to make him one of the youngest captains ever ahead of Crosby. Instead of insulating him from extra responsibility and scrutiny that comes with the captaincy, especially in a hockey market, they pinned it on him like it would be some sort of badge of honor.

If you want to blame anyone, blame the franchise for putting him on the island because they are no good.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2019, 11:03 PM   #9798
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Plain a simple the oilers are no good. It isn't the media's fault the garbage franchise rushed to make him one of the youngest captains ever ahead of Crosby. Instead of insulating him from extra responsibility and scrutiny that comes with the captaincy, especially in a hockey market, they pinned it on him like it would be some sort of badge of honor.

If you want to blame anyone, blame the franchise for putting him on the island because they are no good.
That’s an exceptionally reasonable take.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:17 PM   #9799
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames have 89 points
number of Oilers 89 point seasons post-Pronger = 1

NO GOOD
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2019, 11:24 PM   #9800
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post

Get what you are saying, but who else on that team, back then, or now, is captain material? Few vets are there, and if so it's becuase they have limited options or are overpaid, or both?

Not saying he should be, or at least should've been when he was, but the Oilers, unlike most teams, didn't really have that grizzled vet who, while slower, could still put out, that you'd give a letter to and trust.

And, more importantly Lowe welcomes and encourages the media and PR for his franchise, across the league, in trying to rebuild some sort of mythical NHL cutting edge, progressive, league changing franchise. Stunts like the two headed coach Quinn and Renney. Eakins as a unconventional coach that the media in the east raved about. Offer sheet to Penner and Vanek was just as much about showing how much a maverick Lowe is in breaking the rules, as it was about the only way to acquire a player without getting rejected in a trade. Or drafting a player who re entered the draft (Stoll). On a more day to day basis, press conference upon press conference to make sure everyone is paying attention to what the Oilers have to say.

So, my point is, that the Oilers and Lowe, with the hubris and ego involved, had McDavid, and had hockey team interests secondary when giving him the captaincy, it was to once again show that the Oilers were going to be different from others in the league, and different was going to be good.

I'd go so far to say that it wouldn't surprise me if, for those above reason, Lowe contemplated having McDavids draft day jersey already have the captain C on it when he pulled it on....or, that the cringe worthy creeping in of Katz in the preplanned cringeworthy session welcoming him to the Oilers, that he didn't pin a C on his chest then and there in front of the national audience.

Last edited by browna; 02-27-2019 at 11:27 PM.
Closed Thread