Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #9781
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop27 View Post
Brodie, Frolik, and a 1st for Stone get the conversation going with OTT?
this is interesting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #9782
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
no way you're moving that Neal contract.
It’s ironic. The reason the team needs Stone is because Neal hasn’t worked out as expected. The reason we can’t get Stone is, in large part, due to Neal’s contract...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CanadaMatt For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2019, 09:59 AM   #9783
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
It’s ironic. The reason the team needs Stone is because Neal hasn’t worked out as expected. The reason we can’t get Stone is, in large part, due to Neal’s contract...
Your other post history not withstanding, this is exactly the problem.

The Flames have a buyout candidate on a freshly minted 5.5x5 deal.

You can't be a cup contender and pay 4th liners 5+ million unless you're tampa and have a bunch of 90 point players on elcs. And even then, they are desperately trying to move that deal as well.

Right now, Neal is screwing everything up: trades, acquisitions, icetime, line combinations.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2019, 10:00 AM   #9784
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
It makes so much sense.

Mark Stone should not be a player that becomes available, but he is - and he fits a huge organizational void. We don't have anyone for that 2nd line RW.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm --> elite 1st line
Tkachuk - Backlund - Stone --> elite 2nd line
Bennett - Jankowski - Neal --> great 3rd line
Mangiapane - Ryan - Hathaway --> very good 4th line

Yeah, acquiring and retaining Mark Stone will spell the end of (likely) Frolik now and Brodie in the summer.

Acquiring Stone and sorting out the goalie position, in my eyes, effectively "completes" this version of the Calgary Flames. This would be the team that we compete with for the next 3-4 years.

What does it cost? I don't think you want to subtract from the main roster (outside of Frolik).

To Ottawa:
2019 1st round pick
2020 1st round pick
Michael Frolik
2020 2nd round pick or Dillon Dube

To Calgary:
Mark Stone (then extends for 7 years, around 8-9M AAV)

Ottawa then gets 3 prime assets (3 picks or 2 picks + Dube) and they then have Frolik to flip this summer or at next year's deadline. I think the value is about right. The Flames would then recoup some picks from moving Brodie at the draft.

It makes sense to me.
I think that is a fair deal, but I doubt Treliving would do that without being able to protect one or both of the picks contingent of Stone signing and/or how far the Flames make it in the playoffs. He also said he isn't giving up picks or top prospects for a playoff rental so I doubt he would make the trade without having assurances from Stone that he will sign in Calgary and/or being able to talk to him first.

Also, Ottawa has said that they will finish their rebuild in 2 or 3 years. So, I doubt this trade is very enticing to them due to their quick timeline to be competitive. A couple of very late 1st round draft picks won't help speed up their rebuild much.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:01 AM   #9785
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We aren't getting rid of Brodie with the playoffs looming.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2019, 10:02 AM   #9786
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are the restrictions on "Future Considerations" or "Player to be named later" in deals in the NHL?

Surprised we don't see more scenarios where a team makes a name where the Player to be named later is actually a bigger name.

For example if the Flames or Tampa wanted to add at the deadline but also know they have a cap crunch coming up in the offseason - could they do something like:

"Player to be named later" + A First Round Pick + Prospect for Stone but then actually have the Player to be named later be a player with cap like Brodie or Tyler Johnson that the team wants to keep for their cup run and the selling team doesn't really need for their tank.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:03 AM   #9787
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
this is interesting.
the big issue is messing with chemistry prior to a playoff run with respect to brodie...

otherwise it seems fairly balanced imo
Old 02-13-2019, 10:03 AM   #9788
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Neal's deal (fun to say) doesn't prevent an addition to the roster any more than any other player's high money deal at this point in time.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:04 AM   #9789
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
The 2nd 1st round pick is conditional of him re-signing.
Then you'll likely be outbid. Unless it converted to a 2nd if he didn't sign.
Of course, you've already given up the 2020 in the trade, and our 2019 is gone LOL.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:07 AM   #9790
Hoop27
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
this is interesting.

Full disclosure I'm not a huge Brodie guy (I mean he's good but expendable imo)

My thinking is Brodie should have value to a team like OTT and I could envision Rasmus playing with Gio. If our Stone is potentially ready to come back in a few weeks or a month you could certainly pair him with Kylington on the 3rd pair and you still in theory have Valamaki and Prout as your 7/8 guys.

Don't post much but the recent slide has me a little worried. Just venting ideas
Old 02-13-2019, 10:10 AM   #9791
Hoop27
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
We aren't getting rid of Brodie with the playoffs looming.

Why? I have a nagging thought that maybe he is propped up a little by Gio and of course you have to give something to get something.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:11 AM   #9792
TheKurgan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I think it would, but both Brodie and Frolik have limited NTC in their contracts. I find it hard to believe Ottawa will be a team they would waive for.

If we want Stone we are going to have to give to get. Probably a 1st, plus a couple of our top prospects (Dube/Kylington/Mangiapane), maybe even a roster player like Bennett/Jankow. Too much IMHO unless you think you have a real shot are resigning him.

After watching us play against TB/SJ in the last week I think our window for a cup run might still be a year or two out.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:12 AM   #9793
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Assuming you're keeping Hamonic and Hanifin together, then the top pairing going into the playoffs would be a rookie? That doesn't seem like the recipe for playoff success.

With the younger defenders and the expansion draft, I do think Brodie's long-term plans with the Flames are questionable but there's almost no way that we should get rid of him prior to the playoffs this year.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:13 AM   #9794
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Then you'll likely be outbid. Unless it converted to a 2nd if he didn't sign.
Of course, you've already given up the 2020 in the trade, and our 2019 is gone LOL.
Maybe and if that is the case so be it.

I highly doubt the Stone trade will turn into a trade and sign that extracts more value for Ottawa. I only see conditional picks attached and he is traded like a pure rental with contingencies if Stone re-signs. I do not see any team giving up multiple 1st rounders for a pure rental. I think Dube is about as good as any prospect the other teams would be dangling.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:14 AM   #9795
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

If say, a 2019 1st, Dube & Kylington doesn't get it done I'd say stop adding. Move on.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:15 AM   #9796
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn't see that as a deal that makes much sense for us with the playoffs looming.

Brodie is effectively a 1st and a 2nd, so the value isn't off in my eyes but I don't think there's even a slim chance that Tree would move Brodie this year. He's far too important of a player for us down the stretch and into the playoffs.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2019, 10:17 AM   #9797
Hoop27
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKurgan View Post
I think it would, but both Brodie and Frolik have limited NTC in their contracts. I find it hard to believe Ottawa will be a team they would waive for.

If we want Stone we are going to have to give to get. Probably a 1st, plus a couple of our top prospects (Dube/Kylington/Mangiapane), maybe even a roster player like Bennett/Jankow. Too much IMHO unless you think you have a real shot are resigning him.

After watching us play against TB/SJ in the last week I think our window for a cup run might still be a year or two out.

Brodie does have a 8 team no trade list that was submitted July1 2017. Whether or not OTT was on that list I have no idea, but it wouldn't be the first time a player has waived.

edit: Frolik has a 10 team list and I could see OTT on that but maybe he'd waive if he's told he'll end up in a less ideal situation (playing time etc) if he doesn't

Last edited by Hoop27; 02-13-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:17 AM   #9798
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The one thing that makes me nervous about Stone is we've already got Tkachuk, Monahan, and Neal that are mediocre-to-bad skaters in prominent roles. I think it's clear Peters has figured out Tkachuk needs a good skater on his opposite wing, which is why Frolik and Bennett have worked better than Neal. I worry that we'd run into the same problem with Stone where we'd have a second line with 3 good players that's less than the sum of its parts. That said, Stone is a phenomenal player and he could easily be good enough to overcome that.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #9799
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Brodie is getting sloppier as the games go on. We have Valimaki waiting in the wings. Might not be the worst move if it's for a bonafide top 6 forward or solution in net.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:19 AM   #9800
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Neal's deal (fun to say) doesn't prevent an addition to the roster any more than any other player's high money deal at this point in time.
That's only technically true.
Closed Thread