Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2014, 05:28 PM   #961
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke Salad View Post
Where can you get Nitrogen filled tires topped up? Do you need appointments for such service?
I hit up my Mazda dealership whenever I need a Nitrogren fill. They do it on the spot.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:12 PM   #962
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thinking about buying four 275/65/18 Hankook Ipike RW11 winter tires, used off kijiji on black winter rims.
Guy wants about $300, there's about 40+% tread left. Not sure which tread to measure as it's got different depths depending on where you measure, but it seemed to range around 6-9/32 depending on which groove I stuck the tool into.

I'm currently on 20" rims, so I'm saving buying myself some expensive winters that go on 20's and even if I only get a year or two out of these then I've got the 18" rims and can buy 18" tires down the line.

Thoughts?

Last edited by ranchlandsselling; 10-13-2014 at 07:05 PM.
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:42 PM   #963
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shipping will be a lot from outside Canada. Make sure you know how much that will cost before making a deal.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2014, 07:02 PM   #964
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Shipping will be a lot from outside Canada. Make sure you know how much that will cost before making a deal.
I meant kijiji already looked at them
Old 10-13-2014, 07:03 PM   #965
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like a good deal then.
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2014, 08:53 PM   #966
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Getting mine put on tomorrow. Gonna be ready and waiting this year, instead of trying to play catch-up.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:56 PM   #967
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Picked them up - now I just need to go buy a jack and whatever else I need. Likely can find that scrolling back a few pages.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:54 PM   #968
chalms04
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looks like late next week is optimal.
chalms04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:08 AM   #969
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its been a nice October. I thought I'd have switched from my summers by now.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:25 AM   #970
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalms04 View Post
Looks like late next week is optimal.
Pfffft. 14 days? We could have a blizzard and +20 between now and then. I'll believe it when I see it on the 3-day forecast.

Who am I kidding? I know that winter is coming. I'm just glad that it is a week or two later already than usual. I seem to remember Thanksgiving being the "any day now" point of previous years, if I hadn't already made the change.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:10 PM   #971
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

I bought a set of used Pirelli Sottozero on rims. There's no directional arrow on the tires and only a "outside" marking. The "outside" was installed on the outside of the rim so that's good.

However, the tires are not symmetrical now. On the inside of the tires, the "V" pattern is rotating forward on one side and backward on the other side. Is this right?

http://www.pirelli.com/tire/ca/en/ca...ro_serie2.html
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:13 AM   #972
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
I bought a set of used Pirelli Sottozero on rims. There's no directional arrow on the tires and only a "outside" marking. The "outside" was installed on the outside of the rim so that's good.

However, the tires are not symmetrical now. On the inside of the tires, the "V" pattern is rotating forward on one side and backward on the other side. Is this right?

http://www.pirelli.com/tire/ca/en/ca...ro_serie2.html
Yes, that's right. It seems counter-intuitive but that's the way they are. I had a simliar concern regarding my Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires which were assymetrical but not directional, despite not being a mirror image of each other.

Here's some links pertaining to your exact tires.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=405480
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=114900
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rd_aaron For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #973
Burke Salad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Maybe you the good people of CP can help me out? Looking for a set of tire for my 2010 VW GTI, the 4 door hatchback model. I am specifically looking for all season tires with a higher end winter traction for all season's. (The severe service designation) I know of the Nokian WRG3, is there any good competition to these tires from other makes?

Last edited by Burke Salad; 10-27-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Burke Salad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:27 PM   #974
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke Salad View Post
Maybe you the good people of CP can help me out? Looking for a set of tire for my 2010 VW GTI, the 4 door hatchback model. I am specifically looking for all season tires with a higher end winter traction for all season's. (The severe service designation) I know of the Nokian WRG3, is there any good competition to these tires from other makes?
I went to UrbanX in the NE (not far off McKnight and 40th) and they told me that Continental has a good set of all seasons (My car is running All season Nokians from the previous owner). Kal Tire apparently is the only retailer in Canada which can sell Nokians and are not the best bang for buck due to lack of competition. "Great tires, but not good value tires" per guy I spoke with. He mentioned a few others and directly compared it to one other brand, but the Continentals stuck out to me as he said it was slightly better in winter whereas the other was slightly comfier in summer. You can probably give them a call and they can quote you over the phone. No pressure sales, lots of good info. Good guys to ask questions.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:42 PM   #975
Chill Cosby
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Are the benefits to sizing down on your winter tires myth or fact?

I've got 18"s on my car, and I'm sticking with them for the winter. I've been told that going down (I could go down to 16) makes the ride smoother and that it handles better, but I've also been told that while it may make the ride smoother, it has no impact on the ability of the winter tires.

So what's the truth? I'd be interested in seeing a study of some sort that sheds a bit of light on the situation, as it kind of seems like one of those "auto myths" that is just accepted by a lot of people. Is it more?
Chill Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:47 PM   #976
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought the theory was to downsize the width, meaning more weight carried on each square inch of tire contact area, thus, more traction.

Not sure what impact rim size would have on traction, all other things equal. But yes, smaller rim would have more air due to tall sidewall, and thus, more cushion in the ride. How much? No idea, but in theory you're gaining a little baby air bag shock compared to lo-profile tires.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:00 PM   #977
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I downsized my winter tires because it was cheaper.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2014, 04:09 PM   #978
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill Cosby View Post
Are the benefits to sizing down on your winter tires myth or fact?

I've got 18"s on my car, and I'm sticking with them for the winter. I've been told that going down (I could go down to 16) makes the ride smoother and that it handles better, but I've also been told that while it may make the ride smoother, it has no impact on the ability of the winter tires.

So what's the truth? I'd be interested in seeing a study of some sort that sheds a bit of light on the situation, as it kind of seems like one of those "auto myths" that is just accepted by a lot of people. Is it more?
I'm always a proponent for downsizing the wheel size for winter. The main reason? You have a lot more sidewall to take impacts with the chunks of ice, frost heaves and potholes that we see. A thin sidewall tire on a large rim? Leave that for summer (I still don't). As Burninator mentioned, it's a hell of a lot cheaper too.

In regards to increasing performance? Maybe. Technically you have more sidewall flex and may run at a lower pressure, so it theoretically could grip the road better.But dry winter pavement performance could be reduced due to the flex and roll in the increased sidewall height.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:10 PM   #979
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sizing down is for real - Ducay is on the right track, but it's not contact area.

Part of the winter tire's ability to grip is its soft compound and sidewall flex - downsizing gives you more sidewall, giving you more flex in the tire, as the manufacture can use a less stiff compound on the shoulder and edge of the tire to get the same weight limit the car needs, giving you improved ice turning abilities, all things equal.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:45 PM   #980
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote