Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2019, 10:33 AM   #961
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
This is what its come to. Talking WWE for what seems like an hour this morning.

Rogers distributes WWE Network up here don't they? Huh.
Haven't turned on 960 since July 1st. Phone was dead this morning, so listened on my way into the office.

WWE pretty much the whole way. What a nightmare.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:51 AM   #962
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

The sports scene is probably a nightmare to them as well. No hockey, no trades or signings. Basketball done. Jays are toast and now the trading deadline has passed. NFL hasn't started. The CFL is in uninteresting mid-season mode. Heck, there's no interesting golf, tennis, FIFA, etc.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:59 AM   #963
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh, as an avid listener to morning sports radio, this is a painful time of year.

Despite being Aug, there's so much drama left in the NHL with all these unsigned stars, and teams clearly needing to make trades for cap reasons. Including the flames, where it's impossible to pencil in a "barring any rookie/camp surprises" line up. Yet, there is actually literally nothing to actually talk about, as everything appears to be in this weird holding pattern.

Outside of that, sports radio in Calgary focuses a lot on the stamps, and I have no interest left in the CFL unfortunately, or spend countless hours on things like food, movies, that result in me quickly stopping my live streaming. Then here in Toronto, almost all the aug radio waves focus on the blue jays, but that's also painful to listen to, as I don't really care enough to have deep analysis on a team that sucks this year, and is likely rebuilding for another year or two.

I desperately need some other hobbies.

Also, am kind of sad to hear Warrener go. Hearing him in the mornings was a nice connection to that cup run, and the iggy/kipper era. And though he didn't indulge in much as far as insider info or hot takes, I did appreciate his views on the state of the team/players.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:32 PM   #964
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Top MLB prospect status, top NHL prospect status, top unsigned players in other hockey leagues, top storylines in other hockey leagues.

Get people excited about players that are up and coming or could come over. Maybe it's only one to three hours of programming a week, but there are some unplumbed depths there.

How about a weekly one hour in depth story, with a following one hour call in show.

I dunno, it seems that there are untapped areas.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:44 PM   #965
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Yeah, I understand it's a dry season for sports news. But they do an exceptionally poor job of milking what little there is.

Wrestling should be an absolute last resort. It's not even a real sport. I understand it takes a very high degree of fitness and the people involved are definitely athletes, but it's a scripted TV show. Might as well run an hour talking about e-sports and videogames, at least that is some sort of competition without purely manufactured drama.

Give me an in-depth look at the Rogers Cup, F1, the Pan Am games, even the dumb Canadian Basketball team. Any actual sports talk will do.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 04:06 PM   #966
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Wrestling isn’t a sport. The outcomes are pre-determined.

It more like the Ice-Capades with beer.
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan403 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 05:04 PM   #967
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I dunno you watch some of the refereeing in the major sports, it is almost as if they are predetermined as well. I mean most hockey refs look like they are trying to dictate the outcome.
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Potato Standing By For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 05:11 PM   #968
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Yeah, how are they not giving tennis any airtime? It's literally the Rogers Cup and it's full of Canadians.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:20 PM   #969
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

All this talk about other sports and not a mention of the CPL? For god sakes, Cavalry is in the semi-final of the Canadian Championship, just lost the first leg to Montreal Impact (MLS team), but came away with an away goal. If the Cavalry can score on home field next Wednesday and keep the game 1-0, we advance to the finals, most likely against Toronto FC.

If 960 wasn't talking about this at all that is just downright tragic and missing a huge segment worth talking about.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 06:46 PM   #970
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are plenty of great sports to talk about if you take the blinders off. Soccer, tennis, golf, F1, NFL preseason, and rugby to name a few.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:33 AM   #971
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
You know what they could really use? Less white people. There's have to be a few black guys in this city who wanna talk hockey for a few hours a day. How about Harnarayan Singh? They probably can't afford him.
Like where your head's at, but just fyi he's a diehard Edmonton Oilers fan.

Last edited by Sainters7; 08-09-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:48 AM   #972
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Top MLB prospect status, top NHL prospect status, top unsigned players in other hockey leagues, top storylines in other hockey leagues.

Get people excited about players that are up and coming or could come over. Maybe it's only one to three hours of programming a week, but there are some unplumbed depths there.

How about a weekly one hour in depth story, with a following one hour call in show.

I dunno, it seems that there are untapped areas.
That is a truly tremendously tremendous idea. The crew would get the chance to flex their investigative/research muscles, craft their own specials (or series), upload them as inclusive podcasts after airing, and have a feedback/call-in show. We would get in-depth coverage of interesting topics of events from the sports world, recent or otherwise.

An in-depth look at the Raptors championship season. An examination of the new arena process. An investigative report into equalization of pay...the demise of the CWHL...an oral history of the 2004 Cup Run...and so on, and so forth.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:50 AM   #973
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
That is a truly tremendously tremendous idea. The crew would get the chance to flex their investigative/research muscles, craft their own specials (or series), upload them as inclusive podcasts after airing, and have a feedback/call-in show. We would get in-depth coverage of interesting topics of events from the sports world, recent or otherwise.

An in-depth look at the Raptors championship season. An examination of the new arena process. An investigative report into equalization of pay...the demise of the CWHL...an oral history of the 2004 Cup Run...and so on, and so forth.
This kind of content is actually very difficult to produce.

You're talking maybe 100 hours of work to produce 90 minutes of content.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2019, 11:01 AM   #974
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

The lack of knowledge of the hosts and also the reluctance of Rogers and the listeners for programming with other sports outside hockey, CFL football, baseball, and occasionally golf is what make 960 stale.

It is a problem where every time someone on the show brings up the NBA and then Boomer starts his "Sports I hate" shtick, he is not conditioning his listeners to accept anything different. And now the listeners will just turn off the radio whenever they are not talking about hockey.

There could be so many possibilities, say a tennis hour, golf hour, soccer hour, mma/boxing hour, motorsports/whatever hour every week. There, I got Monday to Friday covered.

Maybe even CalgaryPuck can sponsor a couple of hours can have a show to BS...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:05 AM   #975
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post

Oh I know, and I guess with Rogers' penchant for pinching pennies it's probably pretty pie in the sky.

However, I would be interested to see if the personalities would be interested in producing that kind of content. Perhaps a partnership with other organizations like The Athletic could make it more feasible.

I would definitely subscribe and listen to that kind of content.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:11 AM   #976
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post

That true.

But maybe Boomer & company can shift some of their prep work / research focus from their favourite food & jokes about their wives into something with a little more substance.

Maybe only...now hear me out.

50 hours of work for a 45 minute show on an interesting topic &...

50 hours looking into backlash against the way he makes nachos and what kind of food he should pick up for supper for his family?
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:15 AM   #977
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post
That true.

But maybe Boomer & company can shift some of their prep work / research focus from their favourite food & jokes about their wives into something with a little more substance.

50 hours looking into backlash against the way he makes nachos and what kind of food he should pick up for supper for his family?
Usually the thing that makes someone a good morning or afternoon show host is the opposite qualifications for producing long form journalism.

I've been reading this thread and I just don't know what people expect from a sports station in a city of a million people with only a single sport that matters to more than 50k people.

There just isn't enough content in this market to justify any added expense because it doesn't translate into any kind of revenue.

you're looking to attract the lowest common denominator for drive-time radio. If you want long form journalism or in-depth interviews, there are lots of podcasts available that are slowly but surely eating into any profitability left of sports radio.

Craig Custance has the best hockey podcast around right now.

The margins are pretty slim for canadian radio outside of Montreal and Toronto.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2019, 11:19 AM   #978
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
The lack of knowledge of the hosts and also the reluctance of Rogers and the listeners for programming with other sports outside hockey, CFL football, baseball, and occasionally golf is what make 960 stale.

It is a problem where every time someone on the show brings up the NBA and then Boomer starts his "Sports I hate" shtick, he is not conditioning his listeners to accept anything different. And now the listeners will just turn off the radio whenever they are not talking about hockey.

There could be so many possibilities, say a tennis hour, golf hour, soccer hour, mma/boxing hour, motorsports/whatever hour every week. There, I got Monday to Friday covered.

Maybe even CalgaryPuck can sponsor a couple of hours can have a show to BS...
A tennis hour?
I love tennis but it doesn't have enough broad appeal.
Same with motorsports, mma/boxing, etc.
The Fan has access to an audience size of 1.1M in total. Narrow in on their target demo - males between say 21-50 and it gets a lot smaller.
They have to appeal to a broad chunk of that audience.

They have done sponsored shows on golf, as well as back in the day Dave Rowe's motorsports Monday.

Largely those only happen at the insistence of the host (Rowe) or if it is sponsored (golf).
The ratings are awful for it.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #979
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post
That true.

What you are ignoring is the fact that the show has done very well.
You may not like it - but it is considered a big success for the station.
I suspect if they did what you say - their audience would shrink massively.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #980
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
This is what its come to. Talking WWE for what seems like an hour this morning.

Rogers distributes WWE Network up here don't they? Huh.
Wasn't WWE in Edmonton yesterday?

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote