Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2019, 07:46 AM   #961
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Isn’t that equivalent to speeding in a playground zone though? What’s the fine for doing 10 over in a car in a playground zone?

25 would be a more reasonable speed on the pathways.
I don’t think it changes as a result of being a playground zone 1-15 maxes out at about $120 and 16-30 goes up to about $250. That cyclists are penalized more than cars is ridiculous.

Playground zone speeds are about ensuring collisions occur at less than 30km/hr as the death and injury rate spikes at that point. So a 25 km or 30km limit outside a few congested areas makes sense.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:45 AM   #962
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I don't mind a bit of enforcement, but the fines are bonkers. What's the speeding ticket for going 10km over in a car, $80? $400 is nuts.
How do they even give it to you? What if you don't have ID or just fly by them?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:54 AM   #963
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally, I'd like them to deal with the biggest offenders first - the people who are treating the pathways like a street. And these are just the people that post their speeds.

https://www.strava.com/segments/15213481
https://www.strava.com/segments/12476427

The first is a downhill section, with not a good view if you're going 50), the second is an off-leash area where I see dogs and children roaming all over the place.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:55 AM   #964
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think they have a guy on the speed gun, and down the path have a few officers to stop you. You may be able to escape, but I imagine that wouldn't be good if they caught you. Probable best to hope they go with the "education" option over ticketing. I'd recommend being very nice if you get stopped.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:59 AM   #965
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
How do they even give it to you? What if you don't have ID or just fly by them?

I think they would probably have 2 officers set up a distance away from each other, one with radar and the other to flag them down. I doubt somebody is going to run over a cop or wreck their rims riding off-road.

Don't have ID? Do they have the authority to impound the bike?
Old 06-04-2019, 09:38 AM   #966
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is ridiculous.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:47 AM   #967
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm guessing bylaw gets lots of complaints about cyclists on the pathways during the summer when they are busy with people. Lots and lots of people riding irresponsibly.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:06 AM   #968
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's (maybe) a dumb question:
Without having a speedometer on my bike, how am I supposed to know how fast I'm going? I mean, if I'm biking through a playground zone and I'm keeping pace with the cars, I can obviously tell I'm going about 30km/hr, but without something to compare my speed to, I can rarely tell.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:07 AM   #969
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I sure hope this is mostly for the river pathways and other busy areas and not the nearly empty bike paths everywhere else... Insane that it's more expensive than a vehicle ticket.

Also, will they ticket pedestrians walking on the designated bike paths instead of the pedestrian ones?
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:08 AM   #970
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
Without having a speedometer on my bike, how am I supposed to know how fast I'm going? I mean, if I'm biking through a playground zone and I'm keeping pace with the cars, I can obviously tell I'm going about 30km/hr, but without something to compare my speed to, I can rarely tell.
If you have a tail wind, good luck staying at 20km/h
Old 06-04-2019, 11:40 AM   #971
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think they would probably have 2 officers set up a distance away from each other, one with radar and the other to flag them down. I doubt somebody is going to run over a cop or wreck their rims riding off-road.

Don't have ID? Do they have the authority to impound the bike?
I was wondering this too. I don't ride but if I did I'm pretty sure I would not have ID with me if I was ever stopped.

When I worked DT I used to see them set up speed traps every summer on the pathway along the south side of the river heading west out of DT and they always had people pulled over.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:07 PM   #972
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
I sure hope this is mostly for the river pathways and other busy areas and not the nearly empty bike paths everywhere else... Insane that it's more expensive than a vehicle ticket.

Also, will they ticket pedestrians walking on the designated bike paths instead of the pedestrian ones?

A summer student should be hired who's main task is just to yell at people in the East Village / Riverfront Ave. who walk on the bike-half of the pathway.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 12:14 PM   #973
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A summer student should be hired who's main task is just to yell at people in the East Village / Riverfront Ave. who walk on the bike-half of the pathway.
I'd be happy with the GOT shame bell lady walking up and down the Peace Bridge to keep the bike lane clear, particularly at grad photo time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 02:32 PM   #974
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
There are a few speed warning signs that only activate if you're above 20kph (travelling eastbound on southside of Bow Trail pathway near old science centre). I think there might be a few others throughout the city. Not terribly helpful, but is a frequent reminder for me that my low-medium effort is still >20kph.

Another way to gauge your speed is if you ever ride on the street in playground zones...with medium-high effort I know I'm in the ~30kph range because I'm flowing naturally with traffic.

I think it generally boils down to common sense and respect. If you're racing hard, I hope you're paying enough attention to see the guy with a laser gun ahead and slow down. Just like how we all slam on the brakes when we see photo radar or cops when we're driving. They'll know you were speeding, but more than likely let it slide if you demonstrate you're paying enough attention to respond (and if you discuss respectfully if they do stop you). Has anyone on here ever actually gotten a ticket?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:55 PM   #975
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'd be happy with the GOT shame bell lady walking up and down the Peace Bridge to keep the bike lane clear, particularly at grad photo time.

We're living in a weird time. People would probably come to get pictures of the Shame Bell Lady shaming them. I am already imaging their silly, "look at me, I am being shamed" poses.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 04:11 PM   #976
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I know I’m about to be flamed for this position, but that’s great. I walk at Glenmore Reservoir regularly and the cyclists who treat it as a racetrack completely deserve a fine. Literally, someone will be killed. Not all, but many fly by at Mach speed, with no bell or warning, and it’s flat out dangerous.

I have no issue with cyclists going faster in the “only cycling” sections, but the mixed use are just that. Go on the road and ride as fast as you like.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 04:40 PM   #977
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

^
I'm fine with a fine, but I think $400 is excessive. I also think they should re-evaluate the blanket 20km speed limits, and raise it to 30 in places with good visibility. As it is, everyone ignores 20 everywhere because it's silly. If they have different speed zones I think people would be more aware of where 15km is appropriate, and where 30 is.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:42 PM   #978
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Today my 110db thunderhorn was the shame bell on the Peace Bridge. Overheard "Are the cops here?" Stupid grads.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:43 PM   #979
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ideally they could just split all the paths and have dedicated cycling lanes. I do think that 20km/hr is ridiculously slow, but the other problem is those guys flying down a path 50km/hr and blazing by people without warning.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 04:47 PM   #980
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, you are required to ring a bell every time you pass anyone. I use some judgment on that, but I'm pretty bell happy. Most people don't hear it anyway due to earphones.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: