Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2024, 09:54 AM   #961
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitterD View Post
Two things are becoming clearer to me post-deadline.

1. The Flames are likely going to be bad enough to get into the top 8-9 in this draft, which should guarantee a top Center or Dman with the first pick, and that should be the priority

2. I’m personally going to be really disappointed if the Flames don’t draft Iginla, even if it’s to take a top C or D.
Which is a bit silly if you think about it... If Tij Iginla's name was William Brown and his dad was a plumber (and everything else was exactly the same) there would be no disappointment at all. I mean if the Flames draft Iginla while Catton or Lindstrom are on the board I'll be REALLY disappointed.

Having said that since I'm in favor of moving Markstrom anyways and NJ will likely circle back on Markstrom at the draft... and they'll probably be drafting in a spot where Tij Iginla will (arguably) be the BPA (if he's available). Which would be a nice story because I'm sentimental enough to want to see it happen (but not so sentimental that I'm willing to see the Flames make a bad decision to make it happen).

So root for NJ to win some (but not to many) games 6-5 (in OT).
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 09:59 AM   #962
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if I can see the Devils giving up a first rounder in the 10-12th OA range for a 35 year old goalie. They'll likely have more options in the off season.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 10:03 AM   #963
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I feel like we've learned nothing from last year at the draft or even this year's deadline.

These picks won't be easy to come by.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 10:09 AM   #964
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Which is a bit silly if you think about it... If Tij Iginla's name was William Brown and his dad was a plumber (and everything else was exactly the same) there would be no disappointment at all. I mean if the Flames draft Iginla while Catton or Lindstrom are on the board I'll be REALLY disappointed.

Having said that since I'm in favor of moving Markstrom anyways and NJ will likely circle back on Markstrom at the draft... and they'll probably be drafting in a spot where Tij Iginla will (arguably) be the BPA (if he's available). Which would be a nice story because I'm sentimental enough to want to see it happen (but not so sentimental that I'm willing to see the Flames make a bad decision to make it happen).

So root for NJ to win some (but not to many) games 6-5 (in OT).
Yes it’s absolutely silly, but I’m a fan so I can’t help it. I’m with you though I still recognize that the flames need to pick someone else in the top 8-10, but I’d die for another top 15 pick to take care of the Iginla situation as well
HitterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 10:11 AM   #965
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I don't know if I can see the Devils giving up a first rounder in the 10-12th OA range for a 35 year old goalie. They'll likely have more options in the off season.
Maybe the Flames will have to sweeten the pot? It shouldn't take much more to acquire the pick if we meet a clear need of theirs.
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 10:12 AM   #966
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Perfect Draft would be Lindstrom at #8 (I dont think they can get higher than that)

Trade Van's 1st + Flames 2nd + Dal 2nd for #15, take Iginla.

Walk out with Lidstrom and Iginla.
?????????
Profit
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Incogneto For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 10:12 AM   #967
Solstice
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Considering we really wanted Mercer for Markstrom, I think NJD would be open to dealing this year’s first rounder 1 for 1 in exchange for Marky. They get to keep Mercer so that’s a win for them

I would also be open to taking on Holtz if they really wanna get rid of him. Then I’ll feel better about the return for Marky
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 10:13 AM   #968
Solstice
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incogneto View Post
Perfect Draft would be Lindstrom at #8 (I dont think they can get higher than that)

?????????
Profit
Exactly what I’m thinking and hoping for too!
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 10:13 AM   #969
Braden
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Only 7 points up on MTL and still a game left vs them. What 34 points left on the table? This could really end up going either way pending the teams play.
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 10:15 AM   #970
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think as long as we walk away with one of Lindstrom, Iginla, or Catton I'll be happy
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tbull8 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 10:18 AM   #971
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
I think as long as we walk away with one of Lindstrom, Iginla, or Catton I'll be happy
Why not a D?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 10:20 AM   #972
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Why not a D?
No one is ever happy with a D unless they are totally irresponsible as Dmen.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 10:22 AM   #973
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Why not a D?
I think if we dont acquire another top 15 I would just really like one of those 3. If we can grab another in the top 15 somehow, I would love to end up with one of those 3 + Yakemchuk
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 10:35 AM   #974
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You'd have to think that both Conroy and Iginla have been in Olli Jokinen's ear fairly regularly about Konsta Helenius.

Right shot center with solid two way instincts. Not the most flashy player out there, but thinks the game well. Slotted right in that 6-10 range.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 10:38 AM   #975
traptor
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incogneto View Post

?????????
Profit
I agree except keep the 1st and 2nd and trade Markstrom for the teens pick.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to traptor For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 10:45 AM   #976
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Why not a D?
I agree, a C and a D would be ideal.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 11:24 AM   #977
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
You'd have to think that both Conroy and Iginla have been in Olli Jokinen's ear fairly regularly about Konsta Helenius.

Right shot center with solid two way instincts. Not the most flashy player out there, but thinks the game well. Slotted right in that 6-10 range.
I forget where I read it but someone said that the last guy to perform this well in Liiga at age 17 was Barkov... to which I would say "Yes please!".
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 12:33 PM   #978
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Iginla all the way.

Over Catton even.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 12:43 PM   #979
SilverKast
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
I understand this and agree with the logic of it. However, what if Tij did go on to have a career anything like his old man and we had passed on him at the draft? I know all draft picks are magic beans to some extent, but I don't mind gambling on pedigree on this one.

I mean it's not like we're giving up a boat for a chance at door number one that might be boat? Maybe it's a Fata or Tkachuk/Tkaczuc - who knows? But if you can draft 2 or 3 Iginlas and only 1 turns out a franchise player those are still good odds
SilverKast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 12:54 PM   #980
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverKast View Post
I understand this and agree with the logic of it. However, what if Tij did go on to have a career anything like his old man and we had passed on him at the draft?
Are you assuming that the player the Flames actually pick won't accomplish anything?

What if Tij Iginla scores 300 goals and 600 points in the NHL, but the Flames get a #1 C who ends up with 400 and 1000?

Chicago didn't draft Brett Hull. Detroit didn't draft Mark or Marty Howe. In fact, I'm hard pressed to think of a famous father-son duo in the NHL who both started their careers with the same team.

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft