Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2022, 06:03 AM   #961
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Bills Peking house in the Deep South is pretty good.
That's getting even further away!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:16 AM   #962
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
University Ave should be set up with a cycle track and maybe even McLaurin and 39 Street.
University Ave is about 5 blocks long. It dead ends.

I'm starting to wonder: Do you ever go out anywhere? Because you seem to have no idea where or how big anything is in this city.
Old 09-27-2022, 09:26 AM   #963
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
University Ave is about 5 blocks long. It dead ends.

I'm starting to wonder: Do you ever go out anywhere? Because you seem to have no idea where or how big anything is in this city.
5 blocks? Dead end? University Ave goes through the area from Shaganappi to Collegiate Ave. That whole stretch should include a bike lane/cycle track from the pathways at Shaganappi right into the loop by Mac Hall. I'm in the area multiple times a week either riding my bike home from work, going to play squash, picking up my kid from sports at the UofC gym or shopping at University District.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 12:55 AM   #964
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Cowtown Beef Shack in Bragg Creek is permanently closed. Surprised me today, and a bummer: they had great sandwiches. Now I'm going to have to start packing a lunch or something every few weeks.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 09:44 AM   #965
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
The Cowtown Beef Shack in Bragg Creek is permanently closed. Surprised me today, and a bummer: they had great sandwiches. Now I'm going to have to start packing a lunch or something every few weeks.
We're not 'Creekers' man, the thread title says 'Calgary.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 11:46 AM   #966
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

The Black Swan pub near Southland & Macleod is closed. I'd never been and was actually curious to check it out recently but never did. For some reason, I'd always had the impression that it was a bit divey, but some of the google review photos make it look fine but just a bit gloomy.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 12:14 PM   #967
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
The Black Swan pub near Southland & Macleod is closed. I'd never been and was actually curious to check it out recently but never did. For some reason, I'd always had the impression that it was a bit divey, but some of the google review photos make it look fine but just a bit gloomy.
That place will always be Gulliver's to me.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sleepingmoose For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 12:18 PM   #968
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Was my watering hole for years and years but not so much recently- Good food and reasonable prices for the most part- Sad they seemed to make it through the pandemic and then shut the doors- I did see them cleaning it out though, so maybe something new and cool will open there
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 12:33 PM   #969
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
RIP Dirty Bird.

I remember (sort of) when it used to morph into a club about 20 years ago and their ID verification was, um, lax.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2022, 09:24 AM   #970
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stanley Park Brewing is opening a restaurant/pub downtown at Calgary Place (4th Ave and 3rd Street SW). I'm pretty excited about this because I enjoy Stanley Park beer and it replaces Ceili's which I never really liked plus this is in the same building as my office.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 11:41 AM   #971
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Awww....the Swan? I shouldnt be surprised I guess, I cant even remember how long since I've been.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 02:14 PM   #972
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Stanley Park Brewing is opening a restaurant/pub downtown at Calgary Place (4th Ave and 3rd Street SW). I'm pretty excited about this because I enjoy Stanley Park beer and it replaces Ceili's which I never really liked plus this is in the same building as my office.
Labatt's couldn't make the Mill Street pub concept work, so they're taking another crack at it? More macro beer trying to disguise itself as craft.

Honestly, embrace your brand and open the Budweiser Thunderdome, where it's Stampede 365 days a year! Free STI testing during NFL Sunday!
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 02:20 PM   #973
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
The Swan was one of my go-tos when I was 18-20. The place would get genuinely packed on their club nights.

My strongest memory of the place is looking in the parking lot (pre-cell phone days) for a friend's tooth, which had gotten knocked out during a drunken fight with another friend.

Edit: Also the first time I went there, two cowboys got into a fist fight, and one threw the other through a table. That was a pretty cool memory too.

Last edited by blankall; 10-06-2022 at 02:24 PM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 09:55 AM   #974
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not sure if mentioned, but were getting a Leopold's Tavern in the south, on Elbow Dr in the old Goose/ Horny Toad location by Wisewood. I think their food is pretty good so looking forward to it
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 09:58 AM   #975
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
Not sure if mentioned, but were getting a Leopold's Tavern in the south, on Elbow Dr in the old Goose/ Horny Toad location by Wisewood. I think their food is pretty good so looking forward to it
That location is cursed.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 10:08 AM   #976
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
That location is cursed.
It definitely seems that way. The funny thing is, I can usually put my finger on why a certain location is cursed - crappy access, too much competition, etc - but this one's more of a head-scratcher.

I've been a couple of times over the years to whatever pub took the space at the time and I never had anything stick out as an obvious issue. The space with the atrium windows is nice enough, there's good parking, not a lot of other pubs nearby (unless you venture down to Macleod, but that's not really neighbourhoody), there's a good, relatively affluent population around... By most metrics, it should be a great location for a solid neighbourhood spot. Odd.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 12:40 PM   #977
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
That location is cursed.
The Goose was sooo good. We are a couple blocks away and got lots of takeout from them in early COVID. I think they got taken out by poor timing, they took forever to open and then COVID hit right away. Leopold's is also taking a while to get opened, but as of last night the paper is down on the windows and lots of lights up on the patio so I'm taking that as a good sign.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 12:47 PM   #978
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jane Bond BBQ second location opening where Grumans downtown was.

Great option for dinner before heading to the dome.
jg13 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2022, 12:55 PM   #979
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

There's already a new restaurant going into where Booker's used to be. It's called Strip Joint Chicken and they specialize in chicken strips. I assume they're trying to copy Howlin' Ray's chicken tenders concept. If so it could be good.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2022, 01:56 PM   #980
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The black lung we used to call it back in the days of smoking establishments
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote