Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2022, 12:17 PM   #961
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I had more of an issue with Millen wondering after ever icing, missed opportunity, or whatever if that might have been the mistake that costs the Flames the series!
I tuned Millen out. He shtick is a bit on the pessimistic side I think. Thankfully I just accepted that early on.

A number of people I've watched games with have the same kind of takes on the play - e.g. "oh that was it, gonna cost them just wait!", which is why I watch with less people these days
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 12:28 PM   #962
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Its weird that it ruffles your feathers to this extent. I'm just looking out for my cardiovascular health, and yes going into sudden death OT those kind if comments do not help!

So what?

Hrudey has had some strange takes this season and seems to pull hard for someone on the team opposing the Flames in each game they play. Its a bit odd and im not sure if he's taking a page out of Cassie's book but it seems like Kelly has been going out of his way this year.

I'm probably barely going to watch the panels this series for my own sanity so I don't care, they can say whatever they want.

You're all pro-opinion so I don't know why you have to knock mine. I said IMO. Why not just take agree to disagree and go about your day. Really petty thing to go out of your way to grill a fellow fan about.

Not your job to lecture others on what we can or can't think about analysts and their remarks. I can say I don't like it if I want.
Probably because I worked in the media. And I object to the growing trend for people to want to dictate what analysts say.

Moreover I am frankly tired of all the whining about the media.
Every fan base whines about the commentators being against their team.

Tells me that generally there is a lot of balance out there.

You can say you don't like it. And I turn can say I disagree with your opinion. And again there is a difference from disagreeing with what a commentator says v. saying they should not have said it at all. The former is fine. The latter is problematic.

Last edited by Jiri Hrdina; 05-18-2022 at 12:33 PM.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2022, 12:46 PM   #963
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Probably because I worked in the media. And I object to the growing trend for people to want to dictate what analysts say.

You can say you don't like it. And I turn can say I disagree with your opinion. And again there is a difference from disagreeing with what a commentator says v. saying they should not have said it at all. The former is fine. The latter is problematic.
Mostly yeah. Oiler fans think Debrusk is too pro-opposition (LOL). I'm fine with Hrudey and Cassie in this regard (to some extent I think Cassie assumes viewers know less about opposition players so she talks about them more).

I do dislike Ron Maclean's obvious bias (that "good luck" before LA won in OT was just cringy).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 12:48 PM   #964
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Hanifin was a big part of the good stuff in OT and if not for a loose goal stick, he'd have been the hero. Led the team in shots.

Yeah, he was on the ice when Benn scored. So was Lindholm and it was Lindholm's man. and their second goal was (a) Rasmus didn't get it deep, Hanifin had to cover the centre and no one took the RW. Neither Gaudreau, who was late on the backcheck or Lindholm, who got sucked way over on the left to the puck carrier (who Rasmus was already checking).
Precise and totally correct.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 12:51 PM   #965
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Doesn’t sport media exist purely to spark discussion?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 12:52 PM   #966
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Precise and totally correct.
Totally is the best kind of correct.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 01:05 PM   #967
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

That's how people like their media these days, hate to say it.

No need to be reactive about it though.

Perhaps try explaining why you think its important that we retain those opinionated/oppositional takes in the media from your insider perspective/insight rather than judging posters in a condescending manner on the internet.

I'd be willing, even eager to listen to your perspective if you offered it in an informational/debating manner rather than saying its "weird" that I don't like something or react a certain way to the panels.

That's not the way to sway people to your side of the fence. And no matter what, it's impossible to convince everybody anyways so this emotionally fuelled fued you have with the typical audience today is a futile endeavor to begin with. Maybe its time to come to terms with that emotionally? It's not worth harboring that angst towards people for being emotional and wanting to hear things that please them. People don't hold their interests and fandoms to a code of ethics unfortunately.

I do feel for you in a way, but I think it's not the best way to go about it is all.

Last edited by djsFlames; 05-18-2022 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-18-2022, 01:12 PM   #968
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Flames dominated much of the series and game 7 was the second most dominant playoff performance in history.

*IMO* the home side deserved better than to be done dirty by Hrudes there. Of all the times he needed to give the Flames props, that was it. He deserves all the boo birds! But he's entitled to his opinion nevertheless, despite how we may not like it.
Old 05-18-2022, 01:15 PM   #969
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not trying to sway you. I'm just disagreeing with you.
And frankly it's hypocritical of the guy that started a wall of shame to now lecture someone else on the best way to disagree with someone on this site.

I also don't harbor any angst towards you.

But I disagree with people who say that commentators should only say certain things or not say certain things.

Ott was on the verge of stealing the series. What precisely was so wrong with Hrudey saying he might do that? Apart from the fact that you wanted a homer take apparently.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2022, 01:17 PM   #970
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Flames dominated much of the series and game 7 was the second most dominant playoff performance in history.

*IMO* the home side deserved better than to be done dirty by Hrudes there. Of all the times he needed to give the Flames props, that was it. He deserves all the boo birds! But he's entitled to his opinion nevertheless, despite how we may not like it.
How did he "do them dirty".

Ott was on the verge of stealing the series. At that stage it's a 50/50 thing. And based on how he was playing it was an entirely reasonable take to say that he was going to do it.

Hrudey isn't there to root for the Flames. He isn't there as a Flames fan. He's there to offer his opinion.
Old 05-18-2022, 01:18 PM   #971
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like you wanted something more like this:

"Boy the Flames have dominated this series, and even though Jake is playing well, you have to think they are going to win this somehow".

Yes?

But what IF that's not how Hrudey felt. Should he articulate what he thinks Flames fans want to hear or what he actually thinks.

I know what I prefer.
Old 05-18-2022, 01:19 PM   #972
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not trying to sway you. I'm just disagreeing with you.
And frankly it's hypocritical of the guy that started a wall of shame to now lecture someone else on the best way to disagree with someone on this site.

I also don't harbor any angst towards you.

But I disagree with people who say that commentators should only say certain things or not say certain things.

Ott was on the verge of stealing the series. What precisely was so wrong with Hrudey saying he might do that? Apart from the fact that you wanted a homer take apparently.
I've accepted that I'll get flak from people for a while cause they don't like the Wall.

Its not hypocritical because the Wall is a joke and meant entirely in jest. In fact, I WANT people to continue giving their crazy, hot takes as often as possible because its fun and amusing to myself and others to have a laugh about it later.

Anyways, you do you.
Old 05-18-2022, 01:20 PM   #973
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

It looks to me as if Hrudey is letting his personal dislike of the coach dictate his opinion of the whole team. I'd like it if that didn't happen.
Old 05-18-2022, 01:23 PM   #974
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Sounds like you wanted something more like this:

"Boy the Flames have dominated this series, and even though Jake is playing well, you have to think they are going to win this somehow".

Yes?

But what IF that's not how Hrudey felt. Should he articulate what he thinks Flames fans want to hear or what he actually thinks.

I know what I prefer.
Hrudey was giving oppositional takes all season. It was progressing beyond just thinking differently and evolving into what seemed like an agenda.

Even the ever-maligned Francis has come around to this team because they have earned props and leeway with the media.

It was against the grain. He's entitled to it (what am I gonna do? I can't do anything lol) but I and others can say it sucked and was in poor taste of the Flames broadcast.

End of the day, none of it is a big deal.
Old 05-18-2022, 01:40 PM   #975
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've accepted that I'll get flak from people for a while cause they don't like the Wall.

Its not hypocritical because the Wall is a joke and meant entirely in jest. In fact, I WANT people to continue giving their crazy, hot takes as often as possible because its fun and amusing to myself and others to have a laugh about it later.

Anyways, you do you.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 01:41 PM   #976
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
That's cause you're Buff!
Old 05-18-2022, 01:56 PM   #977
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Hrudey, I just wish he would be a bigger Flames homer as he is part of so many Flames broadcasts. It seems he tries to give an air of being objective to the point that he over compensates by giving the opponents more credit that they deserve. I think he loves the Flames, but he tries hard to make everyone happy which sometimes just makes no one happy.

Not to psychoanalyze the guy too much, but he seems like a really sensitive person. That's not a bad thing and would explain why he didn't get along well with Sutter and why he sometimes downplays the Flames to make everyone feel equal. Another example is how he always downplays his playing career in front of other broadcasters so that he doesn't elevate himself in front of them. He will relate his professional experiences, but then will follow with some self-deprecating humour about not being a good player. Of course, he is really humble about his career. He was a pretty darn good goalie for that era but would never admit it.
Old 05-18-2022, 01:59 PM   #978
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What metrics were used to make that assessment?

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:03 PM   #979
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
It looks to me as if Hrudey is letting his personal dislike of the coach dictate his opinion of the whole team. I'd like it if that didn't happen.
I must have missed this - he seems like such a mild- mannered guy. When did Hrudey say he didn’t like Sutter?
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:03 PM   #980
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
What metrics were used to make that assessment?
+39 shot differential.

Someone tweet linked it earlier.

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good