Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 07:48 AM   #9761
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
At this point, if you're Tre.

Do you use the 1st round pick to get a goalie like Howard, ect (try to pry talbot out of EDM through a 3 way trade?)

Or use the 1st to get some more scoring with a rental?
You dont spend a 1st on a G...now. You will have WAY more options at the draft if thats a spot you want to upgrade, which is unknown at this point. Rittich may respond better, or worse, as the pressure ramps up. Just don't really have that information yet.

We saw last night how much better the team needs to get before they are likely winning anything. That gap is not going to be addressed on Feb. 25.

I think they pretty much stay the course right now. Add a guy up front to upgrade on eat bread or a RW for the Backlund line which sends Frolik to the 4th which is an upgrade within. Get a depth LD with some experience and maybe another cheap cheap G to run with the black aces once the rosters expand.

Go with what you have, hope to catch lightning in a bottle, get your young guys much needed PO experience, and reassess needs after the season ends....whenever that is.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:50 AM   #9762
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Neither, you hold on to the first and continue acquiring parts on a long term basis. The last few games against top competition have shown that the Flames are missing more than one or two pieces. Lets see what happens this week against moderate opposition in Florida, Pittsburg, and Arizona, NYI, and Anaheim at home.

I'd expect them to at least take 4 points but if they do not do well against the better teams and Anaheim then they really are a work in progress and have a long way to go. The games are spaced well so they should get back into the seasonal routine.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:51 AM   #9763
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
If its the off season, maybe look at using your 1st on a goalie depending on how the season finishes out.

Now? Use the 1st for a scoring winger, but one you're certain can be re-signed. No rentals.
They only have one 1st rd pick though...cant use one now on a winger and use another in the off season.

Regardless though, a 1st has way more value around the draft because the options on what/who to use it on is so much more expansive.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:55 AM   #9764
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
They only have one 1st rd pick though...cant use one now on a winger and use another in the off season.

Regardless though, a 1st has way more value around the draft because the options on what/who to use it on is so much more expansive.
Sorry, that was an either or scenario for me. Either spend it now, or spend it the summer. The choices being different depending on when they use it.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:56 AM   #9765
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

stay away from any blockbuster trades...at least in terms of the number of pieces being moved

way to hard to evaluate the pieces and things get lost in the wash for marginal pieces you don't need.

the great thing about the lindholm/hanifin trade was that its was straight quality for quality...

keep the 1st unless its on a player >28 years old with term imo or if you can re-sign them

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 02-13-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:58 AM   #9766
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The Flames at their best are good enough to win the Stanley Cup this season. Tampa is better, but you never know what can happen in the playoffs. Teams run into hot goalies. Unlucky bounces. Injuries.

The Flames will climb out of this funk and then we'll see what happens in April. I have no idea what's going to happen at the trade deadline but I'm excited and I'm optimistic about the present and the future.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:06 AM   #9767
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
At this point, if you're Tre.

Do you use the 1st round pick to get a goalie like Howard, ect (try to pry talbot out of EDM through a 3 way trade?)

Or use the 1st to get some more scoring with a rental?
Wouldnt spend a first on Howard. Tre must be wondering if he has to spend assets on a 1b goalie/ starter at deadline. Not enough information on Ritchie on whether this is a bump, or is this going to be like last year. His play is not horrible, but its average at best.

Goalies for the most part at trade deadline do not cost a lot to obtain.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:08 AM   #9768
Toonage

Exp:

From LeBrun's Athletic column this morning (more reiteration from yesterday than anything)

"Another team that I believe will show interest in Stone is the Calgary Flames. He’d be a great fit with the Cup-contending Flames and I don’t think the idea would be just to bring him in as a rental, either."
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2019, 08:37 AM   #9769
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
keep the 1st unless its on a player >28 years old with term imo or if you can re-sign them
Why do you insist that the player be 29 years of age or older?
Old 02-13-2019, 08:41 AM   #9770
flamesfan55
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Why do you insist that the player be 29 years of age or older?
Guessing he meant < 28 not >28.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flamesfan55 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2019, 08:44 AM   #9771
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flames would have had lots of cap space to go after Stone if they hadn’t spent it on a certain risky signing that needs no further mention
Old 02-13-2019, 08:45 AM   #9772
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
From LeBrun's Athletic column this morning (more reiteration from yesterday than anything)

"Another team that I believe will show interest in Stone is the Calgary Flames. He’d be a great fit with the Cup-contending Flames and I don’t think the idea would be just to bring him in as a rental, either."
I believe if Stone is willing to sign an extension with he Flames that Treliving will get it done and worry about moving our salary in the off season for Tkachuk. If it takes moving Brodie Frolik Ryan whatever you figure it out for a player like Stone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2019, 08:47 AM   #9773
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Would love this idea. But the flames have no chance to re-sign him without getting rid of significant contracts. They may need to remove Michael Stone’s last year just to afford Tkachuk, Bennett, Rittich and the rest of the roster. To add Mark Stone, we may need to remove Frolik and James Neal’s contracts which won’t be easy. Especially the latter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2019, 08:52 AM   #9774
Toonage

Exp:

Oh there would definitely need to be some contract/cap massaging to make that work. But I wouldn't put it past Treliving. Its difficult, complicated, but not impossible.

A few weeks ago I scoffed at the notion Mark Stone could come to the Flames. Today, I'm letting myself believe it a little.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:23 AM   #9775
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It makes so much sense.

Mark Stone should not be a player that becomes available, but he is - and he fits a huge organizational void. We don't have anyone for that 2nd line RW.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm --> elite 1st line
Tkachuk - Backlund - Stone --> elite 2nd line
Bennett - Jankowski - Neal --> great 3rd line
Mangiapane - Ryan - Hathaway --> very good 4th line

Yeah, acquiring and retaining Mark Stone will spell the end of (likely) Frolik now and Brodie in the summer.

Acquiring Stone and sorting out the goalie position, in my eyes, effectively "completes" this version of the Calgary Flames. This would be the team that we compete with for the next 3-4 years.

What does it cost? I don't think you want to subtract from the main roster (outside of Frolik).

To Ottawa:
2019 1st round pick
2020 1st round pick
Michael Frolik
2020 2nd round pick or Dillon Dube

To Calgary:
Mark Stone (then extends for 7 years, around 8-9M AAV)

Ottawa then gets 3 prime assets (3 picks or 2 picks + Dube) and they then have Frolik to flip this summer or at next year's deadline. I think the value is about right. The Flames would then recoup some picks from moving Brodie at the draft.

It makes sense to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2019, 09:28 AM   #9776
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Would love this idea. But the flames have no chance to re-sign him without getting rid of significant contracts. They may need to remove Michael Stone’s last year just to afford Tkachuk, Bennett, Rittich and the rest of the roster. To add Mark Stone, we may need to remove Frolik and James Neal’s contracts which won’t be easy. Especially the latter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
no way you're moving that Neal contract.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:39 AM   #9777
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
It makes so much sense.

Mark Stone should not be a player that becomes available, but he is - and he fits a huge organizational void. We don't have anyone for that 2nd line RW.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm --> elite 1st line
Tkachuk - Backlund - Stone --> elite 2nd line
Bennett - Jankowski - Neal --> great 3rd line
Mangiapane - Ryan - Hathaway --> very good 4th line

Yeah, acquiring and retaining Mark Stone will spell the end of (likely) Frolik now and Brodie in the summer.

Acquiring Stone and sorting out the goalie position, in my eyes, effectively "completes" this version of the Calgary Flames. This would be the team that we compete with for the next 3-4 years.

What does it cost? I don't think you want to subtract from the main roster (outside of Frolik).

To Ottawa:
2019 1st round pick
2020 1st round pick
Michael Frolik
2020 2nd round pick or Dillon Dube

To Calgary:
Mark Stone (then extends for 7 years, around 8-9M AAV)

Ottawa then gets 3 prime assets (3 picks or 2 picks + Dube) and they then have Frolik to flip this summer or at next year's deadline. I think the value is about right. The Flames would then recoup some picks from moving Brodie at the draft.

It makes sense to me.
This is a good post and your trade value is, IMO, more than fair, and likely better than what any other team gives up.

But what do you do if Stone says "I want to wait and see how things go before I commit to signing"?
Old 02-13-2019, 09:42 AM   #9778
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is a good post and your trade value is, IMO, more than fair, and likely better than what any other team gives up.

But what do you do if Stone says "I want to wait and see how things go before I commit to signing"?
Yeah, the signing portion of it would have to be worked out somehow before committing that level of spend to acquire him for sure. Whether that's Ottawa allowing Tree to speak with Stone before executing the deal or something like that I don't know.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:53 AM   #9779
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The 2nd 1st round pick is conditional of him re-signing.

Flames may need to roll the dice and risk losing him for nothing. It would sting but today on February 13th he looks like the perfect fit to make our top 6 second to none in the league and imo no team would have 4 better wingers than Gaudreau, Lindholm, Tkachuk, Stone.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #9780
Hoop27
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Brodie, Frolik, and a 1st for Stone get the conversation going with OTT?