Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2023, 01:14 PM   #9661
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

But the Flames don't have a MacKinnon, or a Rantanen, or a Makar.

Kadri was the fifth-best player on that Avs team. What are you going to win when he's your best player?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 01:17 PM   #9662
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Useful to what degree?

You need middle players - and veterans - to help get that winning team.

Here's a list of the over 30 players on the Avalanche last year:

Andrew Cogliano
Darren Helm
Jack Johnson
Erik Johnson
Darcy Kuemper
Pavel Francouz
Jayson Megna

Heck, even Nazem Kadri at 30!

You don't throw away useful players when they play a specific role and they perform that role well.

To throw players away simply because they're on the wrong side of 30 is poor team management.

Yeah but...we can't get top players when we have a bunch of good support players firmly keeping us in the middle of the pack.

Again, it's not throwing away.

It's "How do we get our Mackinnon, Makar, Landeskog, Rantanen"

Those are the hard pieces to acquire. It's not all that difficult to find good support players - plenty are available every summer at UFA premiums. Even for smaller, less desirable markets like our own - we do a pretty good job of finding good support pieces in free agency...we need to build a top-end of the roster that can actually win though. We don't have like...any players that fill those slots.

Last edited by ComixZone; 02-07-2023 at 01:21 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 01:19 PM   #9663
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Useful to what degree?

You need middle players - and veterans - to help get that winning team.

Here's a list of the over 30 players on the Avalanche last year:

Andrew Cogliano
Darren Helm
Jack Johnson
Erik Johnson
Darcy Kuemper
Pavel Francouz
Jayson Megna

Heck, even Nazem Kadri at 30!

You don't throw away useful players when they play a specific role and they perform that role well.

To throw players away simply because they're on the wrong side of 30 is poor team management.
And while you are rebuilding you need experienced players to help the kids develop. I think Andersson and Hanifin benefited from Gio. I think Lewis is a role model right now, Backlund too. Huberdeau is taking Pelletier under his wing.

In the next 5 years, 3-5 teams will win a cup. The rest won't.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 02:12 PM   #9664
Flaming Horse
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
wranglers

All Tre has been doing is putting a band aid on everything. Never really having a plan or actually fixing anything. It is the band aid effect and that is why the team is stuck in the middle
Flaming Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flaming Horse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 02:20 PM   #9665
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Horse View Post
All Tre has been doing is putting a band aid on everything. Never really having a plan or actually fixing anything. It is the band aid effect and that is why the team is stuck in the middle
You cannot sum it up more accurate than this.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 02:25 PM   #9666
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read earlier that apparently Patrick Kane was given a list of teams to be traded to, but ultimately, it will be Kane's decision to be traded or not and that he is not leaning that way at the moment.

This writer's opinion is that there is a good chance that Kane ends up with the Flames.

https://thehockeywriters.com/flames-...rade-deadline/
Old 02-07-2023, 02:32 PM   #9667
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

that seems like a troll lol
Old 02-07-2023, 02:32 PM   #9668
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
But the perennial question is whether that’s a Tre issue or an ownership issue. Ownership’s drive to always be as competitive as possible is one of the reasons why this team is where it is.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to madmike For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 02:45 PM   #9669
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

If this team still had Johnny, Tkachuck, Fox maybe even Brodie it could be a legit cup team. How much of these players outside of Brodie is directly to blame on Tre's handling. I dont know alot of it is hindsight for Johnny and Chucky but they could have had a very good team if people actually wanted to play here. That's a ton of talent to just walk out the door.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 02:47 PM   #9670
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Pretty sure his plan included Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Kylington.

Would be a different deal if he was just building off last year instead of a heart transplant no?
Old 02-07-2023, 02:51 PM   #9671
PuckSlap
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
This has to come down from ownership. Not a matter of how well the team would do, but what puts buts in seats. This team is so bad right now. Sure they aren't completely out of it, but they are so damn mediocre and boring, most nights

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
PuckSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 02:53 PM   #9672
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
You cannot sum it up more accurate than this.
Except it isn't accurate at all.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 02:54 PM   #9673
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't even blame the GM for these things, that's been the MO from ownership my entire life, GM's listen to their bosses and then get the blame for it, that's their job. Even when they did agree to a rebuild they made sure after a year and a half that that's good enough.

My personal theory is that's why BT doesn't have a contract right now, he doesn't want one.

(Of course I'm basing all this on nothing but my gut, and that idiot is wrong all the time)
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 02:55 PM   #9674
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving probably hates all this the most. It couldn't be going any worse.
Old 02-07-2023, 02:57 PM   #9675
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
If this team still had Johnny, Tkachuck, Fox maybe even Brodie it could be a legit cup team. How much of these players outside of Brodie is directly to blame on Tre's handling. I dont know alot of it is hindsight for Johnny and Chucky but they could have had a very good team if people actually wanted to play here. That's a ton of talent to just walk out the door.
We had Johnny, Chucky and better dmen than brodie last year (not fox) and we were embarrassed by our rivals to the north. This team, as built last year and this year, is nowhere near a legit cup team.

Could maybe argue there might have been some forward progression this year if we still had Johnny and Chucky but that's a big 'if'.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 03:02 PM   #9676
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
We had Johnny, Chucky and better dmen than brodie last year (not fox) and we were embarrassed by our rivals to the north. This team, as built last year and this year, is nowhere near a legit cup team.

Could maybe argue there might have been some forward progression this year if we still had Johnny and Chucky but that's a big 'if'.

Pull Markstrom and put Vladar in for the series and with a more mobile d core with Fox and Brodie on the backend. I think they easily take the Oilers no question in my mind.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 03:59 PM   #9677
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
I agree. He also couldn't foresee Monahan breaking down this early in his career, or Bennett not having chemistry with anyone on the team, or Valimaki suffering a career altering injury. As for Brodie, I think we got Tanev instead which was well worth it(we couldn't sign both because of the cap).

There were a lot of good pieces on this team. My problem with the Flames since the Iginla era aside from the weird coaching hires, and bargain hunting in the free agent market(in the $4-5M range), has been a lack of star veterans to help guide the new guys.

In my opinion, Giordano played a huge part in the amount of D we managed to develop over the last few years. We lacked the same on forward, but I thought that Jagr coming here in 2017-18 helped our young forwards take another step in the 2018-19 season. In fact, I even think that Markstrom was instrumental in Vladar rounding out his game. That's why I hope to see several past their prime stars around the team when we decide to rebuild next.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 04:23 PM   #9678
Flaming Horse
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post

Very good point. I was just about to say the same thing myself. We keep hearing at the start of the year how good this team is and each year they disappoint. Even last year they only won one round and then lose 4 gams in a row to the greasers.Hardly a successful season. So minus the players from last year how was this team going to be better but all we heard ws the summer of brad and this team was a contender.This team is so overvalued each year. Even back when they played the Avs and lost 4 games straight to them and all we heard was how the flames would easily handle them.

This team has foundational issues. It is not all on Treliving. Some of it is on ownership and the philosophy they have of lets just at least get in and make the home date revenue. It has been like that for decades. They don't want to tear it down and build it up and do it the proper way. Through drafting and developing. This team had a big opportunity to start fresh this offseason but now are committed to long term deals and bringing in a 32 yrold and signing him for seven years. They are just trying to stay competitive but then you end up in the middle. It is Tre team and he only has 2 playoff rounds won in 9yrs and that is not good enough and if he leaves there will be quite the mess left with some of these contracts, not much on the farm and very little NHL success.
Flaming Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flaming Horse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 04:31 PM   #9679
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

In Treliving's defense, at the start of last year's playoffs the TSN panel led by James Duthie picked the Flames to win the Stanley Cup. I snapped a pic and have it on my phone. I look at it and sigh.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 04:34 PM   #9680
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree, but don't bring the wranglers into this
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote