Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 08:45 PM   #9641
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Flames tried to trade up for Barkov at the time and he has always had the higher ceiling. That being said, Monahan is having a bad season, and if you compare the career points it’s not been that much of a difference.

I have no problem with the Monahan pick, Barkov was not available. At this point though, Barkov is mvp caliber and hopefully they beat Tampa Bay and Carolina. I think he is in Mackinnon territory and had never really played on a good team before. Ekblad is also looking good.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 03-23-2021 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:06 PM   #9642
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
People thought that when Monahan had better stats then him...so at that time he was.

Barkov was always better than his raw stats.

So, even when Monny was scoring more, Barkov was worth more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2021, 09:10 PM   #9643
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Yes, thank you, that was my point in the debates way back when, but I was often shouted down.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:44 PM   #9644
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Barkov was always better than his raw stats.

So, even when Monny was scoring more, Barkov was worth more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
and better. Barkov has always had the high hockey IQ and skill the Flames would kill for at number one centre.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:49 PM   #9645
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowtown75 View Post
Lucic has been one of the only forwards to be showing up every game with compete level. Is he as fast these days, no, but he is also very savvy with the puck, makes huge hits, creates fear for the opposition when he is on the ice, is a very good locker room guy and brings experience and the right attitude. Every time there is a hot line, he seems to be on it. I get the cap hit isn't ideal but the intangibles Lucic brings to the team cannot be monetized.

He replaced Neal who was a cancer in the locker room, was such a liability on the ice that the team was better off if he wasn't on the ice and didn't produce at any level (scoring, hitting, locker room, compete) At the time Neal was signed, most thought it was a bit of an over payment but it was a big name signing and we finally had a top RW'er for Johnny and Mony. It just turned out that we also got Lindholm and talks were that Peter's wanted to try Lindholm on the top line as RW. So I don't know if that pissed off Neal or why he sucked and sulked so bad when he got his shot to play on that line or any line after that so bad - but getting Lucic in exchange for that dumpster fire was a blessing.
THIS. A thousand times.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2021, 10:51 PM   #9646
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Just wanted to qualify this statement with the fact that Lucic leads all Flames forwards this year with 25 goals against when he's been on the ice at 5v5.

However, he's been on the ice for 18 Flames goals... whereas Sam Bennett has seen 23 goals against and only 10 goals for.
Yes, Lucic is -9. And his linemate Backlund is -8. That’s not a coincidence and probably has a fair bit to do with deployment, especially against Edmonton in the 2 blowouts. Those two games account for -6 for Lucic.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2021, 10:53 PM   #9647
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lucic is trying hard...he has made some ridiculously bad passes in his own zone though. I can think of 4 or 5 off the top of my head that directly lead to goals against.

McDavid in the slot last week...FFS of all guys
Old 03-23-2021, 11:19 PM   #9648
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:
Icon41

What would it take to get Conor Garland from Arizona?

No speculation and no rumour here, but based on the couple of tweets I've seen about him it looks like he is available to some degree?

He's got 9 goals with 25 points in 31 games so far, and this team does really need help scoring. Also on the PK.

Would be less than a Tkachuk, Gaudreau, or Monahan straight up so maybe that's a secondary trade that Calgary could make to shake up the team.
Old 03-23-2021, 11:39 PM   #9649
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post

No speculation and no rumour here, but based on the couple of tweets I've seen about him it looks like he is available to some degree?

He's got 9 goals with 25 points in 31 games so far, and this team does really need help scoring. Also on the PK.

Would be less than a Tkachuk, Gaudreau, or Monahan straight up so maybe that's a secondary trade that Calgary could make to shake up the team.
Now or offseason...2 weeks is a long time to wait for a player and why would the Yotes do it?
Old 03-23-2021, 11:56 PM   #9650
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
You could play that game with pretty well every Flames player.

Spin it any way you want, but Girodano is hot garbage.

Spin it any way you want, but Andersson is hot garbage.

Spin it any way you want, but Markstrom is hot garbage.

Spin it any way you want, but Gaudreau is hot garbage.

Spin it any way you want, but Tkachuk is hot garbage.

And so on, and so on, and so on.
Lol, why even bother watching the Flames
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2021, 12:16 AM   #9651
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post

Just my opinion, but Garland is another smallish winger, and we already have Johnny, Mang, Dube, and several other smallish guys in the minors. We are all clamoring for mgmt to call up Phillips too. Garland has one thing we need though, which is a right-shooting RW, but I think we need to still get more size in the organization (somebody will inevitably jump on me for saying that, but YES-size is still important in this league, just look at the Stanley Cup finalists for the last 10 years). Unless we can trade one of our small guys for him, I would pass.

Last edited by Sandman; 03-24-2021 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-24-2021, 06:22 AM   #9652
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Barkov is basically the opposite of Monahan. Monahan is a one dimensional player and Barkov is about as well rounded of a player as you can find.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2021, 07:16 AM   #9653
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
That is the million dollar question isn't it.
Old 03-24-2021, 07:25 AM   #9654
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ya kinda missed the point there Sparky. A post in the defense of a player being obvious hot garbage was to spin it and use the same framing with another player's name inserted into the post. The point of the post was to say that you could apply that to any player, right or not, and that it was a word game more than anything.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:20 AM   #9655
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://theathletic.com/2472270/2021...rade-deadline/

Duhatschek's thoughts on some player movements.

"...imagine trade scenarios, I try to focus on players who realistically might come available. I see three candidates that might fit the bill in Calgary – Jake DeBrusk in Boston, who’s had a difficult season; Christian Dvorak in Arizona, who is mired in a deep scoring slump at the moment; and Travis Konecny in Philadelphia who, like DeBrusk, was a healthy scratch earlier this season. Dvorak was Matthew Tkachuk’s junior linemate in London and they were really good together. Konecny has been linked to Calgary in any deal that might involve Johnny Gaudreau effectively going home to Philadelphia and DeBrusk would be a nice fit here, in terms of the way he plays."

Replacing Gaudreau, Monahan, and Bennett as the core pieces, plus whatever else is required to essentially bring in the core pieces of Konecny, DeBrusk, and Dvorak.

I would be very happy with the change out of these six players depending upon what the balancing pieces happened to be.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:33 AM   #9656
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutout View Post
Duhatschek's thoughts on some player movements.

Replacing Gaudreau, Monahan, and Bennett as the core pieces, plus whatever else is required to essentially bring in the core pieces of Konecny, DeBrusk, and Dvorak.

I would be very happy with the change out of these six players depending upon what the balancing pieces happened to be.
Dvorak for Bennett is a wash, so sure and I like Konecny for Gaudreau but failing to see the value in swapping Monahan for DeBrusk.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:36 AM   #9657
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Dvorak for Bennett is a wash, so sure and I like Konecny for Gaudreau but failing to see the value in swapping Monahan for DeBrusk.
Dvorak is a significant upgrade on Bennett.
The Following User Says Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2021, 09:36 AM   #9658
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, a deal involving Konecny and Gaudreau just makes too much sense to me.

Now for some fantasy world:
Trade 1: Konecny for Gaudreau (add in some other smaller pieces on both sides)
Trade 2: Monahan + Bennett for Filip Forsberg
Trade 3: Tkachuk + Zary + 1st Rounder for Eichel
Trade 4: Backlund + Kylington + Pelletier for Dvorak
Trade 5: Giordano for Debrusk + Kase

Forsberg-Eichel-Dube
Mangiapane-Lindholm-Konecny
DeBrusk-Dvorak-Kase
Lucic-Ryan-Ritchie

Hanifin-Tanev
Andersson-Valimaki
Nesterov-Mackey

Markstrom

Not many prospects left.. but the roster is pretty young and start filling up the cupboards again in 2022. It would have been nice if the GM had some foresight and traded Hamonic and Brodie for some packages at last year's deadline.

Last edited by keenan87; 03-24-2021 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:38 AM   #9659
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

You’re not getting Dvorak without giving up Monahan. AZ is just as bare as we are at C.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:45 AM   #9660
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You’re not getting Dvorak without giving up Monahan. AZ is just as bare as we are at C.
Arizona is in need of prospects and draft picks as well.
Closed Thread